PDA

View Full Version : Lobster news from front page

grantyg
11-Feb-07, 23:52
Okay so we went to see james bond and it was rubbish - so we come home drown our sorrows with vodka martini - whilst watching derek pakora getting possesed by 18th century versions of oliver reed. Only for the phone to ring and a woman looking for a name that is one of my pupils - turns out her dad is called the same name - spooky biscuits there!
Then to top the night of I see the most difficult headline in the world to say after a drink "Huge Lobster in Lybster"
Also how many elastic bands does it have round his claws!

_Ju_
12-Feb-07, 01:18
Enough elastic bands to make sure cooks fingers stay whole and attached!

Now I wish that lobster was mine, with some lots of cool vinho verde (wine) and some sour dough bread! Yum!

Granty, I take it you are not a fan of the Bond swimming trunks scene unless on Ursula or Berry?

Kenn
12-Feb-07, 02:10
What a magnifecent spiecemen..but I would rather that it was left in peace in the sea..despite the fact that I love to eat that particuliar creature.
I have not eaten fresh fish or any other inhabitant of the sea for some years as I am ashamed of the fishing practices that go one and the fact that the EU does not have the courage to BANN all fishing within the territorial waters of it's area.
WHY are The Danes still fishing for sand eels to make fodder for their cattle and pigs? Surely these animals should be eating natural foods.
Why are all the countries of the EU not using Dolphin friendly nets?
Live where I do and you will see dead carcasses on the beaches every few weeks.
RANT over..but I still feel ashamed at our denigration of the sea.

lasher
12-Feb-07, 17:02
What a magnifecent spiecemen..but I would rather that it was left in peace in the sea..despite the fact that I love to eat that particuliar creature.
I have not eaten fresh fish or any other inhabitant of the sea for some years as I am ashamed of the fishing practices that go one and the fact that the EU does not have the courage to BANN all fishing within the territorial waters of it's area.
WHY are The Danes still fishing for sand eels to make fodder for their cattle and pigs? Surely these animals should be eating natural foods.
Why are all the countries of the EU not using Dolphin friendly nets?
Live where I do and you will see dead carcasses on the beaches every few weeks.
RANT over..but I still feel ashamed at our denigration of the sea.

Great idea! What do you suggest the fishermen and all other people who have jobs related to the industry do for employment?

Geo
12-Feb-07, 18:09
Okay so we went to see james bond and it was rubbish

Given that everyone and their dog says it is brilliant I'm wondering is there anything in particular you didn't like?

Alli
12-Feb-07, 18:32
Ahh!! Me thinks at lobster had an epic journey from the sandside area! What a big one!

jambo
12-Feb-07, 19:26
there was no glow on the lobster at night so he was no where near sandside.

Margaret M.
12-Feb-07, 19:41
Great idea! What do you suggest the fishermen and all other people who have jobs related to the industry do for employment?

What will they do when the oceans are totally depleted?

Kenn
12-Feb-07, 23:35
lasher I appreciate what you are saying , I come from a fishing town and have seen the local fishermen wiped out by the quotas given to other EU boats.
When I talk to the seamen they are all saying that catches are down, ask them why and they will readily admit that the sea is being over fished.
I would like to see The EU stand by it's commitment to conservation of fish stocks, if it's not already too late. bann bottom trawls, use dolphin friendly nets.stop using beam trawls that are huge. Go back to a more sustainable way of fishing that will once again allow the small man to take his share without denuding the seas.
Well I can dream that one day the politicians will wake up to the enormous mistakes they have made but then I will wake up and nothing will have changed.

On a serious note, has anyone thought of starting up a lobster breeding centre in Caithness? Will try and find a link .

Kenn
12-Feb-07, 23:40
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4373949.stm

ywindythesecond
13-Feb-07, 00:12
[quote=LIZZ;190442]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4373949.stm[/quot
Looks good LIZZ

elaine
13-Feb-07, 00:46
Given that everyone and their dog says it is brilliant I'm wondering is there anything in particular you didn't like?

Hello! I went to see this film with Grantyg and also thought it sucked.

Now, I loathe James Bond films and have boycotted them since I was little (not seen one since I was about 10!) but........ after hearing all the good hype and several comparisons to the Bourne films (which I love btw!) I thought "What the hey! I'll give it a chance!"

Here is one sentence to sum up the new Bond film and indeed every Bond film: Just one big long punch-up/chase scene interspersed with lots of shooting, Bond getting "amorous" and of course the obligatory cleavage/beachwear shots.

It was about an hour too long and had huge periods of nothing in the middle especially the mind-numbingly boring poker game. Yes, Daniel Craig is a different kind of Bond - a more sweaty and bloody-soaked one. In fact, all the men in this film were extremely sweaty and blood-soaked. All the women in this film were immaculately groomed with extremely low neck-lines (ahum..). Imho, it is a film for teenage boys.

I haven't been this disapointed with a film since the 3rd Matrix film (grrrrrrrr - still feel angry thinking about it)

So, the Bond boycott continues - hope I haven't offended any fans out there!

fingalmacool
13-Feb-07, 01:11
I'm no expert, but the poor loby might be approaching retirement, by the size of him he could be 50 to 60 years old, and if so deserves to go about his biz, what do you think orgers. I'm sure some smart person will put me right and say he's just big boned( i know dont bother telling me). or he's been on his holidays at dounreay, but joking aside I think he deserves a second chance.

luskentyre
13-Feb-07, 02:07

As someone already pointed out, by over-fishing, the industry is effectively making itself redundant.

Sorry but there are more important things than someones employment. It might be harsh, but they can get another job.