PDA

View Full Version : Castletown Harbour, Castlehill. Are you a visitor or user?

catherine nicol
18-Mar-05, 13:22
Have you seen the feature in todays Groat, page 3 top right hand corner.

A meeting is to be held in Castletown Drill Hall on Tuesday night at 7.30pm. This meeting is to establish the future of the Harbour Area.

Please come along and lend your support to keep this area open to the public. I for one will be going and would be keen to see this area remain as open access as I frequently visit to watch the sea birds and take walks along the trail, I would miss this a lot if it had to close.

If you enjoy walks along the sea side and watching the bird life and wildlife then please come along and support Mr MacDonald secure the future of this area for me and other visitors.

Thank you very much

Catherine

William
18-Mar-05, 14:28
i am going to go to this aswell, as we all go canoeing in the harbour and around that area

Caledonia
18-Mar-05, 18:43
Is there any real suggestion that it could be closed to the public?

;)

Bill Fernie
18-Mar-05, 20:26
I think the main problem is the lack of people to serve on the committee. Committee work may not take up a lot of time but is essential to be able to apply for grants and find away forward for any organisation. It also shows to the authorities and funders and the public that there is a genuine reason to spend money of certain areas. Councillor Alistair MacDonald has offered to spend as much time as required to get things rolling once again but he cannot do it alone. Many committees need help expecially as office bearers - chair, secretary, treasurer. These posts are essential for the efficient running of any group. Getting money and spending it can take up more time but it is one way to help improve an area. I hope a few folk will join in and help keep this particular committee going. New folk often means new ideas and there are plenty of places to get advice on funding to make some of it happen.

Caledonia
18-Mar-05, 20:54
Seems to me it might be useful if some of these committees combined, or widened their remit.

Surely Dunnet Bay Initiative should be involved in the upkeep of this end of the bay, which is as important as Dunnet Forest?

Tugmistress
19-Mar-05, 00:00
I use it regularly for fishing from, it is a great venue and it is so peaceful too aswell as safe for kids to fish from. i can't attend tuesday :( but i hope a lot of people will. if a letter from me would help i would be more than glad :D

Mr P Cannop
19-Mar-05, 00:11
let us all know what happens ??

William
23-Mar-05, 11:12
I went to this meeting last night, basically before they can do any repairs or well anything to the harbour they have to get about 5 more trust people and a management committee. which the group last night put down there intrest on a pice of paper with other contact details, to be sorted for the next meeting to be held soon.

buggyracer
24-Mar-05, 13:43
i know a harry henderson was present at the meting the other night, i propose he is elcted for chairman of castletown harbour!?

good guy with years of experiance.

Kenn
25-Mar-05, 13:54
Hope we get further updates on this as the harbour area is a favourite haunt when we are north and it would be a shame if access to the public was to be denied especially as every time we have been there not only are there fishermen attending their boats but people enjoying the view and the shelter that the harbour walls can offer from the Caithness breeze!

Bill Fernie
25-Mar-05, 20:24
The publicity to get more folk on thje committee of Castlehill Harbour worked as 33 people turned up for the meeting on Tuesday. Five people volunteered for the vacanies on the trust. The volunteers also agreed to set up a management committee. the new committee will be looking to see if there are new uses to which the harbour can be put.
Good Luck to them all. If anyoen from the trust gets in touch we will setup new web pages for the trust to publicise the work of the new committee.