PDA

View Full Version : Does independence mean no TV Licence

RagnarRocks
27-Oct-13, 21:41
I'm fairly aux fait with a lot of the independence stuff but not sure how we would stand on paying the licence fee I'm assuming as an Independent country we wouldn't have to pay this anymore or am I incorrect. If I'm right it would be the first pro independence think I've liked the sound of

Shaggy
27-Oct-13, 21:56
a licence fee? whats that then?? You should ditch the aerial and just watch TV through the PC via any "catchup" service. This is legal and a thorn in the BBC's side as they are trying to get the govt to include a PC/laptop/notebook in the next TV licence bill come 2016!!

mi16
27-Oct-13, 22:23
will we still recieve broadcasts?

theone
27-Oct-13, 22:50

Very good question. I'd be interested to know the BBC stance on this.

RagnarRocks
27-Oct-13, 22:59
I'd like to know how they could enforce paying the licence on an different country I mean if they say they can then hey ho why not charge France Germany the whole world where the BBCs tendrils reach

theone
27-Oct-13, 23:21
I'd like to know how they could enforce paying the licence on an different country I mean if they say they can then hey ho why not charge France Germany the whole world where the BBCs tendrils reach

Maybe they can't enforce licence fes, but what they can do is block brodcasts.

Try getting talksport radio through sky tv when a big game is on - you can't.

Would the BBC be the same?

cptdodger
27-Oct-13, 23:34

I have just had a look at Ireland, found this on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_channels_available_in_the_Repub lic_of_Ireland - They only seem to get BBC HD, BBC World News, BBC 3, 4 and news.

Kodiak
27-Oct-13, 23:36
No doubt the Scottish Government would charge for a TV Licence.

ducati
27-Oct-13, 23:37
In an independence scenario, losing the BBC would be the least of my concerns.

mi16
27-Oct-13, 23:47
In an independence scenario, losing the BBC would be the least of my concerns. an emmerdale fan are you?

ducati
27-Oct-13, 23:49
Jack? Jack? Is that you?

squidge
28-Oct-13, 08:32
I have just come back from France where my sister and parents get all the Bbc channels without paying the licence fee i think we should be ok. They also get ITV so Ducati will likely get his Emmerdale too lol. The SNP Have said i think that their preference is for a state funded Scottish Broadcasting Company. I have also seen figures which show that the BBC budget for BBC Scotland is less than they pay to produce match of the day! So it will be an exciting time for Scottish Television.

mi16
28-Oct-13, 08:59
I have just come back from France where my sister and parents get all the Bbc channels without paying the licence fee i think we should be ok. They also get ITV so Ducati will likely get his Emmerdale too lol. The SNP Have said i think that their preference is for a state funded Scottish Broadcasting Company. I have also seen figures which show that the BBC budget for BBC Scotland is less than they pay to produce match of the day! So it will be an exciting time for Scottish Television.

However match of the day is far superior to anything that BBC scotland has ever produced, any probably pulls in more viewers than anything that BBC Scotland has ever and will ever produce.

I presume your folks do pay the french licence fee however?

squidge
28-Oct-13, 10:21
Your TV licence is paid as part of a tax habitation I think and we would likely have to pay in an Independent Scotland too for a state funded broadcasting company. Currently Scots licence payers pay around 300 million in TV licence fees. The budget for BBC Scotland in 2016 is set to be 87 million. The cost of Match of the day is widely accepted to be around 93 million. Is it any wonder that Match of the Day - which I love by the way!!!!- is superior to the output of BBC Scotland. If BBC Scotland had 300 million to play with then we could produce wonderful top quality programmes.

We have skilled personnel and a wonderful vibrant and intelligent creative sector - it will be an exciting time indeed.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 10:22
just hope BBC don't have a look at this website and up their fee to match some of them, especially the Danish "Media Licence fee". This is what the BBC are pushing for in parliament shortly!

http://originalwavelength.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/which-countries-make-you-pay-for-tv.html

theone
28-Oct-13, 12:35
The budget for BBC Scotland in 2016 is set to be 87 million.

That figure really does make the budget of £15 million from the UK government for BBC Gaelic programmes seem more ridiculous.

Kodiak
28-Oct-13, 12:49
That figure really does make the budget of £15 million from the UK government for BBC Gaelic programmes seem more ridiculous.

I agree it is completely ridiculous, it should be not more than a Tenth of that amount as £15 Million is way too much!

weezer 316
28-Oct-13, 17:36
I think BBC scotlands budget is pretty misleading! We have a pretty homogenous culture and im glad my licence fee pays for access to the English premier league. You simply wont find a football fan who disagrees on that one. Plus, thats scotland payings its bit for Eastenders and the like, whcih we all watch, north and south of the border.

Infact if independence was forthcoming I would implore our govt to reach a deal for a joint BBC.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 18:23
You also have the issue of when SKY and Freeview went live, the BBC insisted that thier programs were available, thus ensuring that they could claim the licence fee. If the independence comes then i wonder if BBC will truly have any say in what we watch as im sure many people would be happy to stop paying the licence fee if it only meant losing BBC progs. To be totally honest, lately the BBC offerings have been pretty poor when you consider the likes of SKY, BT and Freeview services. I know when i move house shortly i will be having a large sat dish installed in the back garden and it will be connected to the "non SKY" digital receiver/decoder which will be controlled by my PC. Choice of around 65000 channels of which absolutely no BBC progs will be available and all the rest will be on catchup or on demand. If BBC do get the govt to allow the inclusion of PC's, mobiles and tablets into the licence, it will be a sad day for all!

Alrock
28-Oct-13, 18:26
Maybe now is the time to abolish the License Fee & instead fund the BBC through general taxation.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 18:28
Maybe now is the time to abolish the License Fee & instead fund the BBC through general taxation.

As if we don't pay enough in tax as it is!!!

Alrock
28-Oct-13, 19:36
As if we don't pay enough in tax as it is!!!

Yeah... But on average what you will be losing on tax you'll be gaining on not having to pay for a TV license.

Oddquine
28-Oct-13, 20:10
Yeah... But on average what you will be losing on tax you'll be gaining on not having to pay for a TV license.

Given the conduct of the Scottish Branch of the BBC since the word Independence reared its head.......I'd as soon not bother with a public service broadcaster at all....and just let them take their chances with audiences and adverts. STV is more even handed than the Beeb..and it doesn't cost us anything. It has been a long time since the BBC on either side of the Border produced anything I have wanted to watch......so my licence fee is completely wasted.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 20:32
Given the conduct of the Scottish Branch of the BBC since the word Independence reared its head.......I'd as soon not bother with a public service broadcaster at all....and just let them take their chances with audiences and adverts. STV is more even handed than the Beeb..and it doesn't cost us anything. It has been a long time since the BBC on either side of the Border produced anything I have wanted to watch......so my licence fee is completely wasted.

hear hear!! (or watch, watch rather [lol])

mi16
28-Oct-13, 21:38
Do you not listen to radio?

sids
28-Oct-13, 21:54
Classic and vintage TV sets will get a free licence.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 22:00
Classic and vintage TV sets will get a free licence.

yeah, only because there is no analogue signal that they can receive, it's been switched off in nearly all areas but a few

Oddquine
28-Oct-13, 22:10
Do you not listen to radio?

I do......but not, believe me for the news programmes..but I'd be happy to pay an appropriate licence fee to hear "The Archers". etc....as I did before I finally got a telly and the Government decided to remove wireless/television differentiation, because that would increase the take. However, nobody needs to pay a licence fee if they are happy to listen/watch on their computer (I have two and a tablet) to the BBC IPlayer after the event.

mi16
28-Oct-13, 22:20
Why not get shot of the telly then and save on the tv licence

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 22:31

Contrary to popular belief, you can own a TV with no requirement to own a TV licence. As long as you are not watching live broadcast, then its fine. Many people have TV's for consoles and video/dvd players only

mi16
28-Oct-13, 22:42
So you could record or pause live broadcast and watch on a delay and be ok as its not live?

RagnarRocks
28-Oct-13, 22:51
This is cut and pasted off the TV licence websiteTechnology - devices and onlineWith today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices:Computers, including laptops and tabletsMobile phonesGames consolesDigital boxes, e.g. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT VisionDVD/VHS/Blu-ray recorders.As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet.Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.Pay for your TV Licence

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 23:14
So you could record or pause live broadcast and watch on a delay and be ok as its not live?

Nope because you are recording it as it is broadcast therefore a licence is needed. You can watch it on catchup though without a licence. Also for those who think that they can use the BBC IPlayer on their PC and not have a licence, think again. Your IP address is noted along with your personal details and its easy for them to check if you have a licence when you are watching progs as they are broadcast

golach
28-Oct-13, 23:24
Contrary to popular belief, you can own a TV with no requirement to own a TV licence. As long as you are not watching live broadcast, then its fine. Many people have TV's for consoles and video/dvd players only

Not the way I read it here

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check/index.aspx

sids
28-Oct-13, 23:36
yeah, only because there is no analogue signal that they can receive, it's been switched off in nearly all areas but a few

You're so literal.

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 23:36
If they are not used to watch TV as it is being broadcast you do NOT need a TV licence.

sids
28-Oct-13, 23:37
If only a barrack room lawyer were here!

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 23:41
You're so literal.

just telling it as it is :-). Incidentally, i have an old Bush TUG24 from the 50's which was working fine until around 2000. No point in getting it back to working condition now though as theres no signal for it to pick up

mi16
28-Oct-13, 23:54
Nothing worse than a 50's bush

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 23:56
lol, it was top of the range at the time my gran bought it and its never been repaired or serviced since the day it was bought. Still have the receipt and manual for it too!

Oddquine
28-Oct-13, 23:58

Because I have family/visitors who are addicted to stupid soaps,

mi16
29-Oct-13, 08:25
I feel your pain

RagnarRocks
29-Oct-13, 08:34
Personally I'd miss the documentaries I have to give it to the BBC with their David Attenborough progs and the History programmes they produce are top notch, if they would stop the ratings chasing with the eastenders rubbish and concentrate on making quality tv I'd be happier, oh and find the political middle ground rather than such a obvious bias

Shaggy
29-Oct-13, 08:52
if they would stop the ratings chasing with the eastenders rubbish and concentrate on making quality tv I'd be happier, oh and find the political middle ground rather than such a obvious bias

Phew, not asking much there RagnarRocks lol. I reckon though if the bill to "control" newspapers goes through parliament then the Broadcasting companies might get worried and think they will be next.