PDA

View Full Version : Telephone scammers about again?

cazmanian_minx
26-Oct-13, 16:05
I don't know whether my mother in law has got her number on some kind of list or whether Thurso numbers are being targetted at random, but over the last two weeks she's had a number of phone calls (some as late as 10.30pm) telling her that her debit card has been used fraudulently online and asking for her card details so that they can refund £39.99 to her.

Luckily at 86 she's still sharp enough not to fall for it, but if you have someone in your family or friends who might be vulnerable to such a scam, please let them know.

poppett
27-Oct-13, 18:40
I have had the call wanting to fix my computer...............I just say I don`t have one, but funnily enough I have recently purchased a new laptop....Perhaps there is a connection?

I had the refund one a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be genuine, but the company were happy to send a cheque instead.

donnick
28-Oct-13, 13:54
yip I had the same call a few days ago ,but I called his bluff and asked him loads of questions and in the end called him a scamming b@@@@d and that brought the telephone call to an abrupt end

Shaggy
28-Oct-13, 14:16
if im not busy i just keep them on the line and tell them im not computer savvy and they need to talk me through it. They soon realise it's costing them money and hang up