PDA

View Full Version : Got to do a talk at school and got the heebie jeebies!

Dadie
23-Oct-13, 23:47
I need visual things ...its on wildlife ..
I dont have a bat box and its to soon to order one (ours is erected and cant be touched) PAH dont have any...anyone have one spare?
Photos of bats..?
Or hedgehogs ?
As Im seriously lacking in photo input as im pathetic in capturing photos as camera is needing charged etc...or cant be found in the moment ..
Im doing this on tuesday morning ....to a group of p3-p5 kids...and need help spech as the printer we have has died (noticed tonight) im dead in the water.....was going to do hibernation and bats (have bat detector) and hedgehogs.
Dead parent needing advice before child understands parents are not all knowing!

rogermellie
24-Oct-13, 00:57
get in touch with the countryside rangers and ask them to do it instead

(it's healthy for kids to know their parents don't know everything ;))

RagnarRocks
25-Oct-13, 17:14
I have a few hedgehog pics you can have I used to release rehabbed hedgehogs from my old house so had a fair few from the local charity so you're more than welcome to have pics of them

rich62_uk
25-Oct-13, 18:08
Library for the printing. Millers also do it. Download things from the net onto memory stick they can then print off that. Or send them to your email addy then you can access what you need via that.

rich62_uk
25-Oct-13, 18:13
I imagine you could get stencils of cardboard cut outs for the kids to make or pictures for colouring in (again off the net) ? Maybe run a competition for them ? Local barns for bat poo (yuck). That age group like to 'do' things not sit and listen too long. Cut up photos and use them as jigsaws ? Pictures of countryside enlarged, pictures of hedgehogs and bats, get the kids to stick them on the photo where they think the bats and hedgehogs would be. Hope some of this helps.

Get a big box fill it with straw to let the kids get into to see how it feels to hibernate ! Ohh I am on a roll.... lol. Make a hedgehog feeding station for their gardens easily done just google it ! Damn I want to come now ! :P

Dadie
25-Oct-13, 18:29
I got the craft bits(cardboard hedgehog with spikes to colour in, cut out and slot in and and bats made from those fluffy craft pompom things with googly eyes) sorted out easily!
I am not poop scooping from bats or hedgehogs.:eek:
Hedgehog poop stinks!

Dadie
25-Oct-13, 22:07
I know that age group likes to "do" rather than just listen...I think I relate to that mentality still....talk at me for 10 mins my eyes have glazed over and im thinking about my shopping list etc..
Have my trusty caster sugar 1 KG bag as a good hibernating weight with a face drawn on with marker pen (750g is minimum) for hedgehogs.

Rich 62..meet me at the gates at 10on tue ....you can see me fail too!
kids are the worst critics ever!...or elate you to hero status on a whim...who wants the extra wildlife needing help that will arrive at my door?

RagnarRocks
25-Oct-13, 22:35
Another little factoid they don't like crossing open spaces and go around the edges and if two male hedgehogs meet each other they'll huff and puff make a lot of noise then turn around and head in the opposite direction they won't go around each other :0))

Dadie
25-Oct-13, 23:12
No more facts unless its to do with random kid questions on really random kid stuff like.. is there really an alligator in the loch?
do vampire bats really suck blood?
is such a pokemon real? etc...
otherwise I will be swimming n stuff ..fact /unreal and might spoil a few myths about why its unsafe to be around the loch which is dodgy ground as a parent not allowing their kid out the square..ie not crossing the main road ...to get to the loch .

Dadie
02-Nov-13, 00:35
Think it went well....
The kids newspaper they have to write will tell...hope to have a sentence written about it or 2!