PDA

View Full Version : BSE in Wick Slaughter house

Alli
17-Mar-05, 19:25
Does any one know which butcher had the animal with BSE in it last August? I take it that it was a local one.

Fifi
17-Mar-05, 19:48
Woah there - READ the text properly before announcing that meat was infected with BSE!!! There was no BSE present - just parts which are specified as being risk material. This is potentially very bad news for local butchers when the rumour mill gets going so please be very careful about the FACTS.

"In August last year, 11 carcasses at a Wick abattoir were found to contain thymus tissue - which must be removed under safety guidelines - but one was sold on to the public.

All cattle which go into the food chain must have specified risk material removed to protect the public from contracting the human form of mad cow disease. This includes the spinal chord, head and thymus.

An investigation by the FSA found that a vet and the Meat Hygiene Service had failed to spot risk material on the 11 carcasses.

A carcass which might have been contaminated was bought by a butcher and sold on to the public.

A spokeswoman for FSA Scotland said today: "It was suspected that a carcass sold to the public still had thymus on it, which is part of the neck.

She added: "It is important to point out that thymus is a specified risk material (SRM) on a precautionary basis." "

Alli
17-Mar-05, 20:24
I never read the article, this was what was said on the radio this morning, and again at 2 o'clock this afternoon. I am not starting rumours, merely relaying what was said on the radio programme.

golach
17-Mar-05, 20:25
An investigation by the FSA found that a vet and the Meat Hygiene Service had failed to spot risk material on the 11 carcasses.

Sack the vet

A spokeswoman for FSA Scotland said today: "It was suspected that a carcass sold to the public still had thymus on it, which is part of the neck.
"It was too late to withdraw it because it had probably already been eaten."

Sack the FSA

Kenn
18-Mar-05, 02:07
Thanks Fifi for clarifying the matter, my blood ran cold when I read the initial reports.Seems like some one needs to be hauled over the coals for not inspecting the meat properly but as usual the media have taken it and contorted it into some thing far more serious than it was without meaning to say that the parts that had not been removed is not serious enough
.Here's hoping that there will not be a boycott of Caithness beef as a result and that the farmers can be re-assured that proper inspections will take place in the future.

Smee2
21-Mar-05, 11:21
The vet was sacked last year and a new one was employed, but they ain't locals.

Rheghead
21-Mar-05, 11:43

Arhh! A local abattoir for local people. Nothing else will do!

Hmmm :roll: , offcomer meat inspecters are more prone to approve substandard meat, or do they intend (as a conspiracy) that infected meat be eaten by Local people?

Another nail in the condemnation of non-native Caithnessians eh?

"Let them eat 'off' offal!"

How awful?

Smee2
22-Mar-05, 15:49

The inspectors are not local, in actual fact they are foriegn. The meats local and abit o BSE's never hurt us before....................[/quote]