PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Thurso Bypass

obalam
10-Feb-07, 10:34
Does anyone know where this proposed bypass is going to emerge, is it right on the turning into Miller Place.

Bill Fernie
13-Feb-07, 22:58
As no one else is replying to this one

This bypass has been mentioned at certain council meetings but I do not have the details. It is not likely to happen in the near future. This is about keeping the land area open so that it "might" be built one day. We are probably talking very long term here.

The planning office can supply any information if it is required for some purpose - eg where can housng etc go or not go in that area.

Bobinovich
13-Feb-07, 23:31
From the information I've gleaned through various conversations I understand it would come off the A9 somewhere around the Miller Place junction and head across past West Gills. I'm not sure if it would pass between the Business Site and Pennyland, or skirt right round the outside of both.

It's supposed to join the B874 (back road to Reay) somewhere past the hospital with an off-shoot road joining to the top of Provost Cormack Drive in Ormlie.

However here is where things get a bit hazy. I believed that the whole point of the Thurso bypass (were it ever to go ahead) would be to stop the Scrabster (and some of the Dounreay) traffic from going through the centre of the town. However, where the bypass would come out means there would either need to be another road linking it to the A9 (i.e. crossing the river over a new road bridge) or it would mean the diverted traffic heading out through Halkirk!

Anyone else with any other information?

weeboyagee
13-Feb-07, 23:43
The Thurso by-pass - is this not called Strath Halladale?? :D

I joke, I joke......

WBG :cool:

canuck
13-Feb-07, 23:55
Oh gosh, I thought I was being very wise and took Strath Halladale as an alternate route to by-pass Thurso on my way to Reay. I was coming from Inverness. It was very beautiful, but I wouldn't do it again.

pentlander
14-Feb-07, 00:21
Will it not link up with the Orkney tunnel then

Ricco
15-Feb-07, 11:06
Why on earth woulld anyone want to bypass Thurso? :eek:

Bill Fernie
15-Feb-07, 11:16
Planners have to look very long term when building applications are being brought forward. You will find there are by-pass plans for many towns to prevent future access being blocked. Brora and Golspie for example have by-pass plans but again they may never happen. But builders etc may be prevented from building in the path of a possible by-pass otherwise if it became necessary in the future then many building houses etc might have tobe demolished.