PDA

View Full Version : Wi fi query

ecb
21-Oct-13, 18:49
In my town there is a free wifi service in the town centre (I don't have anyother kind of Internet access in my flat). I have a Thomson TG123g Wireless USB Adaptor which I have attached to my pc. However the signal in my flat is very weak (even near to the window).

How can I get a boost the signal, someone talked about a "range extender" but someone else said that this would only work if it was part of the Internet access suppliers network. Alternatively could anyone recommend a better wifi network adaptor, please?

Alrock
21-Oct-13, 19:03
I know that my son used to use an old satellite dish with wireless dongle at the bit that the signal is focused on (whatever it is called).

Caithness Computers
21-Oct-13, 21:31
In my town there is a free wifi service in the town centre (I don't have anyother kind of Internet access in my flat). I have a Thomson TG123g Wireless USB Adaptor which I have attached to my pc. However the signal in my flat is very weak (even near to the window).

How can I get a boost the signal, someone talked about a "range extender" but someone else said that this would only work if it was part of the Internet access suppliers network. Alternatively could anyone recommend a better wifi network adaptor, please?

You should get yourself a high-gain USB wireless dongle. They're essentially the same as your current Thomson adapter, but with an aerial or panel attached to give greater signal range. A decent one should give you a good increase in signal strength.