PDA

View Full Version : I must be a complete nutter.

Rheghead
10-Feb-07, 00:34
I went in Bin Ends to get my bi-monthly booze ration of plonk tonight. Hmmm, so much choice and lovely wines as well!! Well I wasn't having a good time at all. I needed a good blowout and I wanted some wine but my concience nearly got the better of me when I saw Australian, New Zealand and chilean wine that was priced much cheaper than French or Italian wine. I explained to the lady in the shop that I wanted a low carbon footprint wine, she looked at me as if I was daft. But what about the carbon footprint of it all not just wine? Am I being too serious about carbon footprints, do I need to chill out with a decent wine and forget about Global Warming? I am no fan of the French but on the same breath I am a great admirer of them. That said and done, I would rather buy a more local(ie French wine) than one that has been carted around the Globe at the polar bear's habitat's expense.

I eventuallly bought the French wine (boo hiss) and jolly good it is too as I write.

My point is, 'go out, buy some french wine,chill out, enjoy your week end, forget the ills of the world and hope that your little bit of comfort hasn't dried up some poor chiel's riverbed or worse. Prost!' :)

Torvaig
10-Feb-07, 00:40
"I eventuallly bought the French wine (boo hiss) and jolly good it is too as I write."

Thought so!:lol:

golach
10-Feb-07, 00:56
Rheg, I personally have an embargo on all French products, ever since the French Government came out of NATO, I will not knowingly eat or drink anything produced in France.
Since doing so I have found the delights of Californian, Spanish, Italian, Chilian, Suid Afrikan & Australian wines, and dare I say it English wines.
I also have a personal embargo on all products Argentinian.
I can live with this, never liked Brie or Camenbert, now a nice Stilton, with some good Portugese Port, and a Greek Brandy, now thats is heaven to me

MadPict
10-Feb-07, 01:51
Bring on the Global Whining, I mean warming, and you will be able to grow your own grapes Rheggers - Vin du Rheghead has a nice ring to it. You could have a nice label with a windturbine on it wrapped in a grape vine.

Apparently the Romans grew grapes along Hadrians Wall so maybe all the concern of global warming is just hot air.

So for yesterday, I earned 119 points and reused 16 bags giving me 135 points!
How the hell do you get 16 bags of shopping home? You're worried about one bottle of wine travelling from Oz?
Drink the beer - it's made under licence in the UK....:D

sassylass
10-Feb-07, 02:03
Yes, but the problem is, so did I buy the French wine and that has added to the carbon footprint big time. Rheghead why did you have to remind me of this misdemeanour? At least Canadian grapes are improving.

Try Californian wine, it's not so far from Canada and many brands are quite good (not Gallo)

Jeemag_USA
10-Feb-07, 02:34
The best reds I have ever tasted came from Morocco, one in particular which I have never been able to find since the last time I bought it was called Domaine Cicogne, which I think meant Home of the Stork, it has a picture of two storks on the bottle. Absolutely delicious! Everyone has their taste though. ;)

Lolabelle
10-Feb-07, 03:05
It's easy, don't drink.
I live and have worked in the Hunter Valley for 30 years, and I have never seen anyone drink wine and look like they really enjoy it. They pull faces and then rave on about the bouquet and aromas. Looks like a lot of rubbish to me. Have a nice cuppa.

Ricco
10-Feb-07, 09:11
Rheg, I personally have an embargo on all French products, ever since the French Government came out of NATO, I will not knowingly eat or drink anything produced in France.
Since doing so I have found the delights of Californian, Spanish, Italian, Chilian, Suid Afrikan & Australian wines, and dare I say it English wines.
I also have a personal embargo on all products Argentinian.
I can live with this, never liked Brie or Camenbert, now a nice Stilton, with some good Portugese Port, and a Greek Brandy, now thats is heaven to me

I agree, Golach. The only great thing about the French is that they are on the other side of the channel. Now, English wines are coming on in leaps and bounds - they are even taking awards away from the French these days. And they have the lowest C.F.P.
I have found a British blue cheese even better than Stilton - Blackstones Blue.. wonderful stuff! Give it a try, most supermarkets stock it.

gleeber
10-Feb-07, 10:09
This has got to be a windup?
5 people will die in Scotland today as a direct result of drinking alcohol not to mention the accidents or the 100s of families whose lives will be in turmoil today because of the poisonous footprint left on every community in Scotland, and Rhegheads concerned about how much energy it took to make the stuff.
As for carbon footprints. I take a size 15 and have no intention of decreasing my footprint size just because the righteous environmentalists in our midsts can swing from the treetops in the Caithness rainforests with a bottle of plonk in their hands, shouting, put out them lights, whilst guzzling on one of the most destructive drugs at large in our communities today.
Dont let me spoil the party chaps I am just being grumpy and a tad ironic. ;)

MadPict
10-Feb-07, 11:02
...the righteous environmentalists in our midsts can swing from the treetops in the Caithness rainforests ...

Before long they'll be able to swing from wind turbine to wind turbine.......[lol]

Billy Boy
10-Feb-07, 11:19
5 people will die in Scotland today as a direct result of drinking alcohol not to mention the accidents or the 100s of families whose lives will be in turmoil today because of the poisonous footprint left on every community in Scotland, and Rhegheads concerned about how much energy it took to make the stuff.
As for carbon footprints. I take a size 15 and have no intention of decreasing my footprint size just because the righteous environmentalists in our midsts can swing from the treetops in the Caithness rainforests with a bottle of plonk in their hands, shouting, put out them lights, whilst guzzling on one of the most destructive drugs at large in our communities today.

on yoursel lol,don't beat about the bush,come straight to the point,spit it out,tell it as it is but you do have a fair point :D

_Ju_
10-Feb-07, 11:49
Rheggers, the wine from Chile and the antipodes travelled by boat. It is just too heavy and expensive to put in an aeroplane. Maybe that will ease your concious a little?

Fluff
10-Feb-07, 12:29
I THINK direct wines/laithwaites does some English wine. They also have their own vineyard outside their HQ but i don't know how much it produces.

try their website, may find something you like

Saveman
10-Feb-07, 12:33
I must be a complete nutter.

We could have told you that... ;)

obiron
10-Feb-07, 16:17
It's easy, don't drink.
I live and have worked in the Hunter Valley for 30 years, and I have never seen anyone drink wine and look like they really enjoy it. They pull faces and then rave on about the bouquet and aromas. Looks like a lot of rubbish to me. Have a nice cuppa.

i keep trying white wine or rose not a big red fan. bound to find one that i like eventually so far the only ones i like is the cheap very low alcohol lambrusco from lidls. quite like martini asti but its not that cheap and is only a treat. your right though lolabelle tastes yuk and the faces i pull is not good.

kitty
10-Feb-07, 17:04
i keep trying white wine or rose not a big red fan. bound to find one that i like eventually so far the only ones i like is the cheap very low alcohol lambrusco from lidls. quite like martini asti but its not that cheap and is only a treat. your right though lolabelle tastes yuk and the faces i pull is not good.

I'm the same. Not a big fan of red wine and had a lot of bother finding a white wine i liked. Eventually i tried one from lidl's, it's french though, and really like it. It's called Bordeaux sec. You should try it :D

sassylass
10-Feb-07, 17:21
snip snip

The glacial shelves are melting because of attitudes like yours. Global warming is a big problem nowadays, just like alcoholism is a problem, but it's a different problem.

Why don't you go out for a walk and get over your grumpies?

gleeber
10-Feb-07, 18:30
The glacial shelves are melting because of attitudes like yours. Global warming is a big problem nowadays, just like alcoholism is a problem, but it's a different problem.

Why don't you go out for a walk and get over your grumpies?
Ive had a walk. In fact I took a bagfull of glass bottles down to the recycling skips at the Co-op. I almost took the car because the bag was heavy and it was cold. However I rarely drive around town unless it's absoluterly necessary. Personally I consider I do as much to reduce my carbon footprint as anyone else I know so I dont accept your coment about my attitude.
I'm aware the alcohol problem (not only alcoholism) is a different problem. If my irony spoils your party then I suggest you take a walk too.

Most people who know me will know I dont have a problem with alcohol but sometimes I have a problem with the romanticising of alcohol. On this occasion I found the irony too much to ignore and it makes for good entertainment on the org.

dragonfly
10-Feb-07, 20:54
if you are that bothered about it you can ease your guilt by offsetting here (http://www.carbonfund.org/site/pages/land/Enter_a_Donation_Amount)

sassylass
10-Feb-07, 22:56
I didn't really want to get off my high horse and go for a walk but I did and now I have to apologise to you gleeber, if I misread your post. It seemed to me you were saying environmentalism is a load of hooey. I have to say I cannot see the irony you are talking about....what does the romanticism of alcohol have to do with global warming?

Cinders392
11-Feb-07, 20:45
Not fair! I love wine. No matter red or white (as long as it aint rose!) Nothing against the french or any other nation as a whole. Wine is good with certain food. Alcohol is ok in moderation as is everything else (chocolate too! :-))
Unfortunatley for me I cant drink it for months and months. At least until the child in my womb is born and I can express milk. Drunk babies aint good. And to think they used to put whisky in a babies bottle to make it sleep while teething etc. Definatley know too much about the dangerous of alcohol these days!