PDA

View Full Version : David Manson Convict

LonnyBoy
17-Mar-05, 08:38
My grandfather's great-grandfather was transported to Van Dieman's Land in 1838 aboard the ship Augusta Jessie. His name was David Manson and he was 22 years old. The story goes he stabbed a bloke on the bridge at Wick. It's not much to go on but I'm interested if there are any Mansons who recognise this fellow.

Tricia
17-Mar-05, 21:53
I wonder if you have seen this page
http://www.rootsweb.com/~austashs/convicts/conships_a.htm
... someone with interests in David Manson.

I have a David in my tree but not same one.
Tricia

Alastair Banks
17-Mar-05, 22:48
National Archives of Scotland has a document in their catalogue

Crown Office precognitions
CountryCode GB
RepCode 234
Repository National Archives of Scotland
RefNo AD14/37/16
Title Precognition against Donald Ryrie, David Manson for the crime of assault to the danger of life at Wick, Caithness
Date 1837
Accused Donald Ryrie, fisher, Address: Ulbster, Wick, Caithness
Victim William Miller, Crafts, East Clyth, Latheron, Caithness
Accused David Manson, joiner, Address: Whalligoe, Wick, Caithness
AccessStatus Open
PlaceName(plans) /Scotland
FindingAids 19th Century Solemn Database

Bigyin
24-Mar-07, 22:26
I have a David Manson in my family tree, he was born in Thurso in 1803 but I can find no trace of him after that. His parents were William Manson and Catharine Thompson.

SonyaA
22-Apr-07, 00:41
Hi Lonnyboy, I have come across some details for you about David Manson through this brilliant website-
www.ambaile.org.uk (http://www.ambaile.org.uk)
this site has newspaper extracts from various Highland Newspapers including the 'John O' Groat Journal'. There is a bit of information about the incident and also it gives the date it appeared in the local paper.
It reads-
Law & Order-Whaligoe and Ulbster, David Manson and Donald Ryrie assaulted William Miller (fisherman) Manson, transported for 7 years, Ryrie- not proven. John O' Groat Journal, 22 September 1837

also this-
Events, Petitions-Petition to pardon David Manson from 7 years transportation.John O' Groat Journal, 17 November 1837

and this-
Law & Order, Miscellaneous-David Manson, formally Clyth (near Whalligoe/Ulbster) sentenced to transportation in 1837. notice stating that because of good behavoiur appointed sub-overseer John O' Groat Journal, 4th December 1840

As the dates are shown on the website for when it appeared in the local paper you could maybe get more information on the full story from the Highland Archives at the Wick Library where they have the original newspapers available on microfiche.
Hope this helps!
Regards
Sonya

robbain
22-Apr-07, 04:52
Hi Lonnyboy, I have come across some details for you about David Manson through this brilliant website-
www.ambaile.org.uk (http://www.ambaile.org.uk)
this site has newspaper extracts from various Highland Newspapers including the 'John O' Groat Journal'. There is a bit of information about the incident and also it gives the date it appeared in the local paper.
It reads-
Law & Order-Whaligoe and Ulbster, David Manson and Donald Ryrie assaulted William Miller (fisherman) Manson, transported for 7 years, Ryrie- not proven. John O' Groat Journal, 22 September 1837

also this-
Events, Petitions-Petition to pardon David Manson from 7 years transportation.John O' Groat Journal, 17 November 1837

and this-
Law & Order, Miscellaneous-David Manson, formally Clyth (near Whalligoe/Ulbster) sentenced to transportation in 1837. notice stating that because of good behavoiur appointed sub-overseer John O' Groat Journal, 4th December 1840

As the dates are shown on the website for when it appeared in the local paper you could maybe get more information on the full story from the Highland Archives at the Wick Library where they have the original newspapers available on microfiche.
Hope this helps!
Regards
Sonya

You need to contact wick library not the archives as it is the library that does the am baile details as the library offer free service with no charge - wick.library@highland.gov.uk The microfilms are held not in the Archives but in library itself.

SonyaA
22-Apr-07, 12:32
Apologies robbain for that. But why the angry face smilie??? I was under the impression that it was the archives that have the originals on microfiche and if I got that bit wrong then I do apologise. I was only trying to help shed more light on the original posters query. So why the anomosity?:(

robbain
22-Apr-07, 16:58
Apologies robbain for that. But why the angry face smilie??? I was under the impression that it was the archives that have the originals on microfiche and if I got that bit wrong then I do apologise. I was only trying to help shed more light on the original posters query. So why the anomosity?:(

SonyaA sorry, was up early this morning, please accept my apologises, I do get easy annoyed. The Library itself owns the microfilms, not the archives, the archives borrows the films if they need to copy any articles from them. And they charge, the library itself transcribes the articles at no cost and emails the articles at no charge.

SonyaA
22-Apr-07, 17:57
;) No probs rob, I get easy annoyed too, I didn't mean to mislead anyone about the archives. I did think that the microfiche/microfilms were part of the Highland Archives section of the library, easy mistake to make I guess as it is 'old' newspapers that I was refering too.
Its certainly handy to know that the library doesn't charge but the Archive section do, I was unaware of this service. I enjoy looking at family stories etc that pop up in the old 'Groats' it gives a bit of character to the family tree. As I previously mentioned, the website www.ambaile.org.uk (http://www.ambaile.org.uk) is brilliant especially as it gives the dates that the article appeared in the local papers. To whoever does this site 10 gold stars to you!!!:D