PDA

View Full Version : PVR noise

Liz
09-Feb-07, 15:23
I won a PVR (like Sky Plus box but for Freeview)which is great but it is making a noise which is really annoying!

It is not the fan as that doesn't bother me so it must be the Hard Drive.:(

I think it may be worse as I have it on a wooden surface which is making it reverberate. I have put a folded up towel under it and this has reduced the noise quite a bit although not completely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!:D

Highland Laddie
09-Feb-07, 15:42
Remove the towel from under the box, ventilation slots are there to keep the box cool, blocking them with the towel could cause the box to over heat.

Liz
09-Feb-07, 16:12
So I have to put up with this flipping noise?!!!:(

pedromcgrory
09-Feb-07, 16:35
u could try something small all same size at all corners etc

lassieinfife
09-Feb-07, 16:44
try the sticky pads u get for holding glass tabletops etc in place...... contact company with who you won box with and explain problem

Geo
09-Feb-07, 16:58
Do a search on Google for the model and add "noisy" to see if it is common on that model. If not then it could be faulty and maybe worth speaking to the competition admin people.

jimbews
09-Feb-07, 18:17
Remove the towel from under the box, ventilation slots are there to keep the box cool, blocking them with the towel could cause the box to over heat.

Assuming there ARE ventilation slots underneath. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't.
Alternatively the idea of pads is useful. The noise may actually be a vibration induced by the disk, rather than the disk itself.

You may also minimise the disruption if the PVR can be left in standby. It would then only spin the disk if you are recording or watching. If you're watching somehing on it, you may find you don't really notice the noise.

jimbews

MadPict
09-Feb-07, 18:28
Get two squash balls and cut them in half along the seam - place them under each corner and this should reduce the noise. It helps isolate CD players etc from unwanted vibration so may work the other way too...

Liz
09-Feb-07, 18:49
Thanks everyone!

I contacted Humax and the air vents are on the back and side of the PVR so okay to put something underneath to absorb the 'vibrations'.

I am going to try a bit of foam underlay.

If that doesn't work then I will try the squash balls thanks MadPict.

Does anyone know whether it is best to keep putting it into standby every time or leave it on full power and leave on standby at night?