PDA

View Full Version : Food

weestraw
09-Feb-07, 13:13
Was planning going out for a meal in Thurso over the weekend and wondered wheres good just now. Had heard the pentland is good but dont know. Any ideas??

Cattach
09-Feb-07, 14:56
Was planning going out for a meal in Thurso over the weekend and wondered wheres good just now. Had heard the pentland is good but dont know. Any ideas??

New chef and food generally good at Pentland. Not my choice for a special occasion meal. Holburn without doubt the hotel on the up with great food and good service. Station OK and the Park if the service was better. Avoid Upper Deck uless you have come up on the lottery!

lab
09-Feb-07, 14:58
Holburn is where i would go the crab salad is to die for

denise
09-Feb-07, 16:22
Hi I was up in Thurso last weekend and had a meal booked at the station for my dad's 60th but on hearing that it was nothing special we went to the Bistro. The starter's were to die for but unfortunately the main meal wasn't up to much with the exception being the fish and chips. It was a nice atmosphere though

meu04223
15-Nov-08, 19:14
My collegue stayed in the Pentland hotel for 3 nights last week and she commented that the food was excellent, she enjoyed the fish and chips, sweet and sour pork special, which appeared to be home made, and the sticky toffee pudding in the evenings and said the breakfast was very good. She commented that they also had a curry on the specials menu which she would like to have tried as she seen someone else with it but because the specials change daily it was not advertised for sale the next night. In my mind this is a good thing and a changing specials menu shows it is not just the same stuff reheated night after night, this was her opinion also. She also said the staff were very nice and they did not leave her too long between main course and pudding and served a nice filter coffee to her after her meal.

I'm hoping to go there next sunday after her glowing report of the place.

Blondie
15-Nov-08, 19:24
I was going to point you in the direction of a thread about the Pentland Hotel but it appears to have gone :roll:

It had pretty bad reviews.

meu04223
15-Nov-08, 19:28
I did not see that thread but I'm going to trust my collegues judgement and try it out for myself.

I've heard mixed reports (on here and in general) about a few of the hotels etc in the area so I like to try them out for myself so I can pass a fair comment.

poppett
15-Nov-08, 19:43
Blondie, the thread with the reference to the Pentland Hotel poor food was in a thread recommending the Red Pepper at the Holborn Hotel......... so no wonder you couldn`t find it.

dragonfly
15-Nov-08, 20:02
Hi Poppet, Blondie was right, there was a Pentland Hotel thread on the go with very few recommendations for the place

Goldie
15-Nov-08, 20:13
I saw a thread with several messages not in favour of the Pentland Hotel. It has been removed. Is this normal?

Buttercup
15-Nov-08, 21:36
I saw a thread with several messages not in favour of the Pentland Hotel. It has been removed. Is this normal?

Yes is the simple answer. But then again if your not informed about where you went wrong how can you prevent it happening again? :confused That's all I'm saying before I get barred! [para]

Dorrie
15-Nov-08, 22:03
When we ate at the Red Pepper (Holborn Hotel) we were the only people in, there were 6 of us and every meal was superb, but I have to say that the steak was the best I've had in a long time. Bryan who eats out a lot (all over the world) was also impressed with it.

Le Bistro has been good although I haven't had a proper meal there for a long time as we got fed up with the menu never changing, but their Cullen Skink is normally really good. :)

Another place that we have enjoyed a really good meal is outside of Thurso in Forss Hotel http://www.forsshousehotel.co.uk/ but that was a while ago now, and it is about 5 or 6 miles outside of Thurso. :)

bettedaviseyes
16-Nov-08, 02:44
Pentland Hotel in one word RUBBISH!!!

Bobinovich
16-Nov-08, 10:22
The Pentland Hotel thread was removed after a complaint from the hotel management.

scotty nath
16-Nov-08, 12:39
was in their thursday night a new chef has started starters to die for had smokrd salmon my partner had mellon and ham and mains spot on will be back as we eat out three times a week:lol::lol::lol:

Iffy
16-Nov-08, 16:29
Wot about the Captain's Galley in Scrabster (OK so it's not IN Thurso, but near as darn it !!!) When we went there I ate very slowly cos it was just SO good I didn't want each course to finish !! HUGE recommendations:Razz

Iffy
16-Nov-08, 16:31
P/S
Considering that Weestraw originally posted this thread on the 19th February, would she not just be a wee bit hungry by now ????:confused

Blondie
16-Nov-08, 17:09
P/S
Considering that Weestraw originally posted this thread on the 19th February, would she not just be a wee bit hungry by now ????:confused

Ah yeah. Well that looks very dodgy to me. Someone finds that from way back in february, then comes on raving about the Pentland :roll:

Lavenderblue2
16-Nov-08, 17:33

The Pentland Hotel thread was removed after a complaint from the hotel management.

I find it very strange that the request from the management for the thread in question to be removed was upheld.

There have been quite a few negative comments made in the ‘Recommendations’ section regarding certain establishments who seem to have taken the criticism on the chin and used it as a means to improvement – or not, in the case of one Thurso multi establishment...
As far as I can see none of these have ever requested a thread to be removed.

Buttercup
17-Nov-08, 00:38
P/S

Ah yeah. Well that looks very dodgy to me. Someone finds that from way back in february, then comes on raving about the Pentland :roll:

Not only that, but it was February 2007! Very strange, I'd say. :confused

Blondie
17-Nov-08, 13:27
Oh yeah didn't notice that :lol:

I think that rave review they made may have been fabricated eh :roll:

weestraw
17-Nov-08, 14:25
Random hijacking of my original thread....i did go to the Pentland and had an excellent meal(No longer hungry!!) , and I have done several times since and it has always been good. I'd imagine that seeing as the management have seen the thread of complaints, then if things have been dodgy recently improvements will soon follow

Lyns5371
17-Nov-08, 16:29
My friends and myself go to the Pentland Hotel nearly every Saturday for lunch. We have never had a bad meal so can not understand the comments that have been left by some people.

I would certainly recommend the Pentand for a meal as I have found their food to be consistantly good and the service excellent.