PDA

View Full Version : Wok of ages

secrets in symmetry
12-Oct-13, 13:08
Does anyone know when woks first became popular in the UK?

Alrock
12-Oct-13, 13:27
Probably when Delia Smith used one...

secrets in symmetry
12-Oct-13, 16:29
Was Delia the first British wok star? :cool:

I started wondering about the topic of this thread when I was scrubbing my wok this morning. Yes, I was too lazy to do it before I went to bed last night....

I don't remember anyone having a wok when I was a young loon.

Big Gaz
12-Oct-13, 17:36
there was me thinking wee "bent-ower" Tam with the hump was first to use a wok when he ironed his shirts over one......

David Banks
12-Oct-13, 21:56
It was brought to the UK when someone realized sis needed a new word to play with.

golach
12-Oct-13, 22:02
Ken Holm brought the wok to the Brit public eye first I think, but many professional chefs have a similar shaped utentsil, for having a multitude of uses

secrets in symmetry
13-Oct-13, 13:27
Ken Holm brought the wok to the Brit public eye first I think, but many professional chefs have a similar shaped utentsil, for having a multitude of usesThanks! I remember watching him on TV when I was a youngster.

jacko
13-Oct-13, 20:50
i would have thought that the first chinese immigrants would have taken woks here with them.???

secrets in symmetry
13-Oct-13, 22:23
i would have thought that the first chinese immigrants would have taken woks here with them.???Yes, but I was thinking of woks being used by us, the indigenous peoples.

Dadie
13-Oct-13, 23:10
Have an old girdle/griddle thats over 100 yo..would like to know when they came about?
Its pretty flat with a wee lip and cast iron ...with a folding handle ...and god help you if by accident it goes through the dishwasher as it needs seasoned again!

secrets in symmetry
13-Oct-13, 23:37
Is it a beige girdle, Dadie? :cool:

squidge
14-Oct-13, 09:16
Have an old girdle/griddle thats over 100 yo..would like to know when they came about?
Its pretty flat with a wee lip and cast iron ...with a folding handle ...and god help you if by accident it goes through the dishwasher as it needs seasoned again!

Girdles were used in medieval times as a flat piece of metal and probably originated from the use of a flat stone heated to cook food on in earlier periods. The story of King alfred and the cakes suggest that the cakes that were burned were griddle cakes, that is around the 9th century. There is also evidence that theses heated stones were used in south america and india particularly in very early history. So think on Dadie, when you cook on your griddle you are doing what millions of women have done for thousands of years. Awesome!