PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Arts Council - Bah!!

Mad1man
09-Feb-07, 01:53
Just noticed more public money going into promoting the few rather than trying to benefit the many in this country.

http://www.scottisharts.org.uk/1/latestnews/1004118.aspx

They are paying for performers like Paulo Nutini to go to showcase themselves as part of Scottish music in Texas. I reckon I've seen a few of these names in the press recently, which demonstrates that their often profitable careers are developing nicely. We are a community with growing and very good arts enthusiasts in all areas, BUT, places like Lyth Arts Centre and even our local Wick and Thurso Players, Caithness Orchestra, Wick Choral etc. etc. appear to have to jump through hoops to TRY to qualify for any funding to promote their work locally, support developments they might want to help our communities and maintain the facilities that often their volunteers have worked for years to provide for all of us.

Maybe I'm an old git, but --- I believe that as always the little people across the country are failing to get best value from organisations like the SAC. Orgs like TTIA could do with some cash to help promote the talented local folk at The Big Gig - I somehow think they would stand a good chance of being laughed out of the funding race, despite once again caring about promoting the development of the Arts in our beautiful Caithness Community.

Sorry for the rant - I just hate to see the "rich get richer" while the rest of us make do with token gestures on many occasions.