PDA

View Full Version : Emergency, need help fast

Lolabelle
08-Feb-07, 23:37
I am going to the dentist in 2 hours and don't know whether to get a tooth pulled and be done with it or go through Root Canal Therapy.
Has anyone had Root Canal Therapy?
Everyone I know who has had it done, has ended up (after $$$$$$) getting the tooth removed anyway.
What do I do?????
Please, any advice or info will be appreciated.
Please help, am nearly going crazy with indecision. :~(

EDDIE
08-Feb-07, 23:46
Well if you cant get a tooth filling i would pull it out and be done with it but thats just what i would do

Lolabelle
08-Feb-07, 23:55
Thanks Eddie, Anyone else?????

souperman
08-Feb-07, 23:57
Hi, I had root canal work a couple of years ago, the most painful part was the price but so far the tooth is still there and doing its job. I used to be of a mind to get teeth pulled as it meant no further grief from them but after being left with a gap (out of sight) on the bottom jaw I would now do all I could to keep my teeth, so if I were you, keep the tooth.

canuck
09-Feb-07, 00:00
Hi, I have had two root canals. And I lived. The techniques are quite improved, so the most recent one (3 years ago) was not so bad. You may need a crown and that is expensive, but having teeth with roots is better (I think) than having to deal with dentures.

Lolabelle
09-Feb-07, 00:03
I am not really all that fussed on having a great gap in my teeth, even if it is at the back. I think I will go with trying to save it. Ahhhh. I guess I will just have to pray that it works.

Kaishowing
09-Feb-07, 00:22
Hiya had a root canal, then got the tooth capped. That was almost 20 years ago and it's still there!

Mad1man
09-Feb-07, 01:11
I've had a few root canals done - slight discomfort after one and a couple of crowns replaced over the 14 years for the oldest one. I've nothing to complain about

ESR
09-Feb-07, 01:19
I had root canal treatment on a tooth that had already been capped. That was about 20 years ago, the tooth was then re-capped and I have had no bother since.

mareng
09-Feb-07, 06:27
I think it is your head that needs examining...............

Did you admit to your dentist that you had sought guidance on the Caithness.org website as to whether to keep or extract the tooth?

If I stuck my head out the window in Scotland - I bet I would have heard him laughing in Australia.

Lolabelle
10-Feb-07, 02:57
Update.
I went to a different dentist, and I needed neither root canal therapy or the tooth taken out.
I just needed a better filling.
Originally I went to a big clinic with about a dozen dentists. They told me of all this work that needed doing including the root canal. As a 42 I had only one filling I thought my teeth were fairly good. I didn't like their pushy attitude and decided to go to a small clinic with only one dentist. She looked at my mouth, checked the nerve and said she would just re fill the tooth. Checked the other cavaties that I was concerned about and decided they were only stains. So for nearly half the price of the big practice, I had my problem tooth fixed, and found out I just needed a good clean. So next month I am booked in for a clean and will get my teeth bleached. It seems to pay to get a second opinion. If I had just gone with the first I would have paid thousands for root canal therapy that I didn't need and also had fillings that weren't necessary. So I have come home with a fuller wallet, no pain and am quite happy.
I would like to thank everyone who shared thier dental experiences with me, As this was only my 3rd visit to dentist in 41 years, I was a bit (unnecessarily, I now realise) panicky about the whole process.

And Mareng, I am glad you got a laugh, you could most likely do with one. :lol: