PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Harrier

ducati
09-Oct-13, 16:24
Sighting at Auckengill. Male yesterday and we have seen the female previously. Anyone else seen them locally?

smithp
10-Oct-13, 11:23
At the risk of being a patronising ediot (apologies) have you not seen a hen harrier?

ducati
10-Oct-13, 16:38
Hiya, yes we have Hen Harriers as well. This caused some consternation untill we finally found it on the RSPB site. We are pretty sure though. :D

fudge100
10-Oct-13, 21:49
I have been a practicing falconer for roughly coming on 11years, and yes i believe you did see a hen harrier. I first saw one six years ago at john o groats, it was quartering the field out the back of my house, seen it several times that year, infact i could even tell you where it was nesting, but i wont. I may be wrong, but i was told on good authority that it would be unlikely to see a marsh harrier this far north. Atb

Kenn
11-Oct-13, 00:16
I am thinking much more likely to be a female Hen Harrier, can you give a description of the under wing colouration and the tail shape?Stunning birds and not uncommon around the county. I too know where a pair bred this year and I'm not saying either!

ducati
11-Oct-13, 09:06
Aw.. we do see Hen Harriers all the time. This was definately different in shape size and colouring. I originally thought it was a red kite but no forked tail. The female is largely black although I couldn't describe the colouring of the male other than brownish with a paler tale and underwings. (Yes I know that could describe a Hen Harrier) :lol:

Kenn
11-Oct-13, 20:53
http://www.caithness.org/nature/birdwatching/photogallery/index.php?gallery=4&image=25

ducati
11-Oct-13, 20:59
http://www.caithness.org/nature/birdwatching/photogallery/index.php?gallery=4&image=25

Yep. That's him! Thanks LIZZ not nuts afterall :cool:

Kenn
11-Oct-13, 23:38
Whooo hope you have notified Scottish Ornithology or The RSPB, well done,

ducati
13-Oct-13, 12:21
Whooo hope you have notified Scottish Ornithology or The RSPB, well done,

I saw the male again yesterday with two coroborating witnesses:D

I've not told the RSPB because if they have lost them it's their fault :mad:

veekay
07-Nov-13, 14:50
Ducati, I saw a Marsh Harrier two days ago in the Mey area. I had to check as I hadn't seen one before but is was definitely a Marsh Harrier.

ducati
07-Nov-13, 18:34
Ducati, I saw a Marsh Harrier two days ago in the Mey area. I had to check as I hadn't seen one before but is was definitely a Marsh Harrier.

Maybe one of the same pair, its only just over the hill.