PDA

View Full Version : which credit card?

katarina
15-Mar-05, 21:11
Just a word of warning to anyone getting a capital one visa. (not the one from the bank of Scotland) I thought great, no interest for 6 months on balance transfers, so i applied and transferred my balance. I did not know when I had to make my first payment so waited for my statement. When I got it in, it had been posted on the 25th. I noticed that my payment had been due on the 21st. I telephoned them to say, how could I pay on the 21st when the statement and the payment slip was only posted on the 25th? The guy at the other end said all the statements were sent out on the 25th, but because I was late I had been charged £20. Again I asked the question and he told me I should have sent a cheque in the envelope provided. I thought - is this guy thick? So I spoke slowly and carefully. I did not get the statement, pay slip or envelope. they all came together. After a lot of arguement, in which I insisted under the circumstances I should not have had to pay a late payment fee, he agreed to refund £10.
I have never had a credit card that did not send out the statements before the due date until now. Once i have paid them off, it will definately go in the bin!

Lou18
16-Mar-05, 09:43
I have tried a lot of credit cards and found the egg card to be one of the best....they set up a direct debit just to take out the minimum you owe each month so that you are never given a late charge, and then if you want to pay more you can do that on an if and when basis...

Riffman
16-Mar-05, 13:32
I don't bother with a credit card, the VISA debit is much better!

EJS
16-Mar-05, 13:34
Lou18 - I couldn't agree more. The Egg card is great - you manage everything via the website and if you have questions etc. they have a secure messaging system - which you always get a prompt reply from, usually within 48 hours. If you don't mind not actually speaking to someone this is a great system. They also have an anniversary deal whereby you can transfer balances from other cards for 0% in the month of the anniversary of your taking out the card. This happens for 3 years after you take out the card. If your looking for a 0% card with benefits EGG has to be the one !!

brandy
16-Mar-05, 13:49
i have capital one as wel.. but you can set up a direct debit to either take out the minimum ammount or the full amount what ever your choice and you can do online banking as well.. which is great.. sorry you have had trouble with it! but so far so good with us!

champagnebaby
16-Mar-05, 16:01
I prefer to steer clear of the lot and just use my switch, least then i can't use what i ain't got.

For certain things like paying my next account(who don't take switch) i just use my mum's visa and give her the money, or i could pay at a post office or bank.

colmac
16-Mar-05, 19:20
I have a Capital One credit card. I took it out and transferred my balance to them and it is at 3% interest for the life of the balance. I have had no payment problems with them. All in all, I am happy with it.

luskentyre
17-Mar-05, 00:10
On two occasions I've forgotten to make a payment on my Bank of Scotland Mastercard. Each time they've charged me £25 as a late payment fee.

Each time I've written to them, explaining that it was a genuine oversight and reminding them of how much custom I have put their way - and each time they've waived the fee. They're already getting the additional interest so there's no way I'm paying a "fine" as well.

Just be firm and threaten to take your custom elsewhere.

katarina
17-Mar-05, 00:59
You are lucky. I had that problem - and never had the fee waived. that's the main reason I changed. and I do put a lot of custom their way. i also once had an egg card. I stopped it because they advertised 0% interst on balance tranfers. I took them up on it, but when I was charged interest, and complained, they said it was for new customers only.