PDA

View Full Version : tesco's AGAIN

celtchicky
08-Feb-07, 18:18
went in to tescos fancyin abit of sea bass fish, (heard its quite good), anyway. it was shift change over, and i had to wait til the man got all his gear on. i then asked if he could fillet it for me,as i aint got a clue, and was bluntly told no!!! asked why and was told that he wasnt trained to do so [evil]

whats the point of having a fish stall when they cany even manage that. must learn myself or just go to the local fish shop instead!!![evil]

pentlander
08-Feb-07, 18:28
went in to tescos fancyin abit of sea bass fish, (heard its quite good), anyway. it was shift change over, and i had to wait til the man got all his gear on. i then asked if he could fillet it for me,as i aint got a clue, and was bluntly told no!!! asked why and was told that he wasnt trained to do so [evil]

whats the point of having a fish stall when they cany even manage that. must learn myself or just go to the local fish shop instead!!![evil]
If we dont continue to use our local fish shops they will be gone for good. We will then have to put up with this level of service.

Glenys Hirst
08-Feb-07, 18:37
We have fresh fish sold in the market here in Huddersfield...At Suppermarkets you never know how fresh the fish is!! Same with Fruit and Vegetables...Tescos fruit and vegetables never stay fresh long enough!!..well thats what its like here!! I go to the local fruit and Veg shop.

Angela
08-Feb-07, 18:40
If we dont continue to use our local fish shops they will be gone for good. We will then have to put up with this level of service.

You may find that your Tesco fresh fish counter disappears anyway after a while - this happened at the one near where I lived a little while ago.
One day it was there -the next day, transformed into something that made more money. [evil] Luckily the local fish shop was still there...

I do use (and like) my local Tesco but I prefer to use a "proper" fishmonger and butcher if at all possible.

You're right -keep using them or they'll disappear...:~(

buggyracer
08-Feb-07, 19:24
all for using your local fish shop, but note that fish like sea bass cook better whole, just stuff the belly with lemons or orange to give flavour and add a bit of fennel and slice or score the skin 3-4 times along the sides and bake or pan fry, you then get all the flavour of the fish cooked on the bone, if you cant pallate eatin it with its head on just cut it off.

most restaraunts will serve sea bass whole.

mr do dar
08-Feb-07, 20:07
if your all for supporting the local shop why did you go to a big shopping chain like tesco and buy it ? i love people what go on about supporting the local shop and how the big shops are putting the little shop out of business but there the first in a new shop when it opens .... did you ask if there was anyone else about who could gut and fillet the sea bass for you ? likely not !!

celtchicky
08-Feb-07, 20:16
i did actually and wiz told no. it woz convenience that i tried there. always buy fish in the local shop.

Angela
08-Feb-07, 20:36
all for using your local fish shop, but note that fish like sea bass cook better whole, just stuff the belly with lemons or orange to give flavour and add a bit of fennel and slice or score the skin 3-4 times along the sides and bake or pan fry, you then get all the flavour of the fish cooked on the bone, if you cant pallate eatin it with its head on just cut it off.

most restaraunts will serve sea bass whole.

True -I've never cooked it myself. I've had it cooked for me, whole (very tasty too).
But if you went to a real fishmongers, they'd probably be able to advise you how best to cook it...:)

thickrodney
08-Feb-07, 23:12
must learn myself or just go to the local fish shop instead!!![evil]

you have answered your own question yourself:)

thebigman
09-Feb-07, 18:55
Don't know why you'd want to eat a bass that's come from away down in the Med anyway.

Bradcon
09-Feb-07, 22:04
what difference does it make where the fish is caught at the end of the day a bass is a bass even if it is undersize;)

buggyracer
09-Feb-07, 22:09
probably because its farmed in the med? and as you say undersized and if not farmed and wild it then hasnt had a chance to breed?

Fraser Macleod
09-Feb-07, 22:20
The blackstairs fish shop usually has sea bass.

celtchicky
09-Feb-07, 22:22
wanted to taste it as so many cookin programmes go on about how nice it is

jambo
09-Feb-07, 22:28
the weather aint 2 great 2 catch bass localy just now so u will just have 2 buy med bass.

wkgeorge
10-Feb-07, 10:30
where is the local fish shop in wick?

Bill Fernie
10-Feb-07, 22:03
I sometimes wonder if some of the orgers in here ever leave the forum to check out the rest of the web site and if they have checked the business index before asking where businesses are.

See here for the fish shops -
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php?cat=104

Remember that if you click on the post codes in the Business Index you get a map showing the location of that business. Hands up those who did not know this????

spurtle
11-Feb-07, 10:46
Went to Blackstairs to buy mussels. but was told not enough people were asking for them, so it was not worth getting them in. Come on, Wick mussel-lovers - help me out here and use your local shop - they can't order 25 kilos just for me, and even I can't eat that quantity. Can't survive the winter without them, but Tesco are the only ones stocking them.
Shall try my luck again on Friday and see if any of you good .orgers have made it worth their while getting some in - thanks in advance

webmannie
11-Feb-07, 10:57
Crikey even a simple Google on 'Wick Caithness fish shop' throws up some.

You can even order fish online from Wick, http://www.blackstairsfish.co.uk/. Anybody tried it yet?

peedie wifie
11-Feb-07, 11:11
You can even order fish online from Wick, http://www.blackstairsfish.co.uk/. Anybody tried it yet?

Thanks for that - will give it a go - and they have some recipe ideas too!!:Razz

peter macdonald
11-Feb-07, 11:13
Spurtle Have you ever tried to gather them at Sarclet Head ?? They are not too large but are very full and tasty grown wild in clean very tidal water

spurtle
11-Feb-07, 11:46
Spurtle Have you ever tried to gather them at Sarclet Head ?? They are not too large but are very full and tasty grown wild in clean very tidal water

Perhaps you mean Sarclet Haven, or are you trying to kill me! Actually, mussels are better smaller, but I would like to buy them in my local shop, and also support people who farm them. It is a lovely fresh produuct, and anyone who is prepared to work away at it in sometimes horrible conditions should be rewarded with good sales.