PDA

View Full Version : Dog Fouling Solution - GDW

achingale
01-Oct-13, 11:17
I happened to see a tweet this morning advocating a scheme which I have now had the chance to have a quick look into. The Green Dog Walker scheme is open to local community groups and all you have to do is get in touch with Highland Council which will send out a starter pack containing wristbands, posters, poo bags etc and in return people who sign up for the scheme advertise the fact they are Green Dog Walkers. It means these dog walkers ALWAYS pick up their dog poo and are happy to give a bag to anyone who 'may have forgotten' a bag. I for one think it is a good idea and community groups around the county should sign up for it. I am not saying there will be no dog irresponsible dog owners if the scheme is put in place, but it has apparently drastically reduced dog fouling in the areas it has been trialled. Food for thought...

RagnarRocks
01-Oct-13, 11:19
Send one to my neighbour who thinks kicking the dog into a shared drive or my back garden to dump is ok

achingale
01-Oct-13, 12:01
Send one to my neighbour who thinks kicking the dog into a shared drive or my back garden to dump is ok

Charming! I know it is not nice but you should bag it in the brightest plastic bag you can find and place it in their garden with a note saying 'I believe this belongs to you.'

RagnarRocks
01-Oct-13, 13:04
I just put it down to them not really being particularly civilised. One of those people who you do that and they will go out of there way to be a pain somewhere else. Considering its a rescue dog and they kick it to keep it quiet I think it fairer for the dogs sake to say nothing

Big Gaz
01-Oct-13, 13:12
Sorry but i think it fairer for the dogs sake to call the SSPCA. Anonymous callers giving them info about an ill-treated animal is a routine call for them. They will investigate and if they see any signs of ill treatment, the dog will be taken into care. That solves your problem and the dogs at the same time

jacko
01-Oct-13, 13:12
Charming! I know it is not nice but you should bag it in the brightest plastic bag you can find and place it in their garden with a note saying 'I believe this belongs to you.'

lol . my son did just that . but he knocked on the guy s door then dumped it outta the bag on the doorstep.

btw. he s 6ft 3 so was nt an arguement .

Blondie
01-Oct-13, 14:13
I can't see it working. Sorry to sound so negative but having been walking my dog for 10 years now, you wouldn't believe the folk that don't pick up after their dog! I personally know folk who don't pick up, I have seen them! So what do I do about that? I don't have the brass neck to offer them a bag, in fact I know for a fact that they do carry bags. Do I report them? Can that be done without leaving my name? How will you ever educate folk that think its okay to leave dog mess around? Fining them is the only way to at least punish them, but the dog warden just cannot be everywhere to witness them in the act.

linnie612
01-Oct-13, 14:19
I just put it down to them not really being particularly civilised. One of those people who you do that and they will go out of there way to be a pain somewhere else. Considering its a rescue dog and they kick it to keep it quiet I think it fairer for the dogs sake to say nothing

Sorry but i think it fairer for the dogs sake to call the SSPCA. Anonymous callers giving them info about an ill-treated animal is a routine call for them. They will investigate and if they see any signs of ill treatment, the dog will be taken into care. That solves your problem and the dogs at the same time

Please report it. Horrible to think it may have been rescued from one hell to be put into another.:(

Liz
01-Oct-13, 18:48
Please report it. Horrible to think it may have been rescued from one hell to be put into another.:(

I totally agree with you! Please RagnarRocks report the abuse of this poor dog. If you are seeing it being kicked then goodness knows what kind of life this poor dog has. :( As Big Gaz said this can be done anonymously.

George Brims
01-Oct-13, 22:23
Throw it back, preferably on a warm day when there's a chance a window will be open.

Dadie
01-Oct-13, 22:50
Hmmn reminds me of a teenage prank ..
Dog poo/paper bag/lighter and ringing the bell and running off...
But I would be tempted about bagging the poo and ringing the bell and presenting them with the bag saying it was delivered to mine by accident.
I was mortified when I found out the wee dog we were babysitting could wriggle under the fence (unknown to me) and was pooping nextdoor and I didnt know about it!

jacko
02-Oct-13, 10:04
my son seen the dog enter his garden depositing the crap and the dog owner just walked on by and called the dog after him not even bothering to lift the dirt.. his door was knocked on and when he answered it the crap was dumped on his step.

no bell ringing and running off .. never happened again.

DonMac
04-Oct-13, 09:22

"Fairer to keep quiet" = WRONG. I sure do hope you've reported this cruelty??

The Music Monster
04-Oct-13, 12:39
The ASAA has been working with the GDW scheme for a while now (http://argylesquare.com/GDW.php). It hasn't solved the problem of dog poo altogether, but it has certainly made a big difference. It's a great initiative.

I'm about to become a first time dog owner on 23rd October and I'm so excited!!!