PDA

View Full Version : Stones of Reay

Westward
01-Oct-13, 08:19
What's going on in Reay?
I refer to the huge stones placed strategically in the laybys, first they are there, then they are not..
or rather, they are still there, just thrown aside..whats the story?

vwgolf
01-Oct-13, 18:02
Minter or his workforce I would think !!!!!!!

mi16
01-Oct-13, 19:13
Minter or his workforce I would think !!!!!!!

i think Mr M went bust

Westward
01-Oct-13, 19:21
Hmm..oh well none the wiser :)

Rheghead
01-Oct-13, 22:27
What's going on in Reay?
I refer to the huge stones placed strategically in the laybys, first they are there, then they are not..
or rather, they are still there, just thrown aside..whats the story?

Which layby?

Kenn
01-Oct-13, 22:38
Think the one being referred to is at the west end of the village just before the turning into Sandside House, we also noted that it had been blocked off and then unblocked.

Rheghead
01-Oct-13, 23:13
Isn't that old news appertaining to a case concerning crofting rights? The details were revealed in the Groat?

Kenn
01-Oct-13, 23:36
No this has all happened in the last few weeks. it's up by the village sign not down by the crofts.

Alrock
01-Oct-13, 23:44
Aliens I tell you.... First crop circles of the A9, now this... Better get the tin foil hats on... :lol:

Kenn
02-Oct-13, 10:26
Oh err Alrock, do you think the local stones have heard the story of the walking rocks and are trying the theory out?

billmoseley
02-Oct-13, 18:56
As i understand it the estate got fed up with people parking in the layby and then nipping over the wall and using it as a toilet and rubbish dump. It was a real mess there so they blocked it up. How ever as it's a public layby they have had to move them again.

Kenn
02-Oct-13, 23:29
Have to agree on the mess tother side of the wall bill, it was a disgrace but may be the placing of a litter bin might help ease the situation.

Westward
03-Oct-13, 10:46
As i understand it the estate got fed up with people parking in the layby and then nipping over the wall and using it as a toilet and rubbish dump. It was a real mess there so they blocked it up. How ever as it's a public layby they have had to move them again.

Thank you billmoseley, I had thought as much, what a shame though, that the estate (and the village) has to put up with such antics, from I presume tourists.

Westward
03-Oct-13, 10:47
Have to agree on the mess tother side of the wall bill, it was a disgrace but may be the placing of a litter bin might help ease the situation.
Thank you, Lizz..certainly the placing of a litter bin would "drop the hint"..hopefully it would be taken,

billmoseley
03-Oct-13, 19:06
but it's not up to the estate to provide one. I think they had just had enough and i'm not sure it was tourists either.

Westward
03-Oct-13, 19:19
No, you are right...this is a council problem..asbo's spring to mind, such a nice wee village.

golach
03-Oct-13, 21:59
Thank you billmoseley, I had thought as much, what a shame though, that the estate (and the village) has to put up with such antics, from I presume tourists.

Why persume its the fault of visiting tourists, maybe its the resident locals that are to blame

RagnarRocks
03-Oct-13, 22:21
Maybe it was one of those mythical Orkney giants snuck over on the ferry and throwing a few stones about for good measure :0)

Westward
04-Oct-13, 11:56
Why persume its the fault of visiting tourists, maybe its the resident locals that are to blame
Perhaps you are right, perhaps those in the village care so little about where they live that that go all out to dump rubbish in their own back yard..but the impression I have of Reay, is nicely maintained gardens, pride taken in the dressing of windows..nothing out of place..this is why I thought it may be tourists or similiar.

Rheghead
04-Oct-13, 19:16
There was a van parked there this afternoon with a marquis tent, BBQ and about 20 people with bikes. They left no litter as I could see.

special tartan
21-Nov-13, 03:35
Mostly touring party produce , walls re-erected many times at expense , bins should BE provided .