PDA

View Full Version : New ideas for improving Caithness

RagnarRocks
30-Sep-13, 18:29
Ok so I see numerous whines about what the council and various govt depts aren't doing or doing inefficiently. Also a whole host of complaints about large business's but how about we float some really grand ideas for improving this county. When I first came up here all I saw was one of the most visually stunning areas in the whole of these fair isles, also a wealth of archaeological sites and historical interest sites, beaches second to none for cleanliness and solitude. The local people are on the whole very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. Architecture, again a wealth of wonderful buildings. So I'm wondering what improvements would you make to improve this already wonderful but undervalued part of the country. When I view Caithness I'd say its very similar to Cornwall prior to the A30 improvements.For my ten pence I'd like to see an improved road up to this neck of the woods and something like shuttle flights to wick airport at sensible prices.

Big Gaz
30-Sep-13, 20:19
Hmm, where to start!
1. decent road network and rail link to inverness, preferably one that doesn't take 4 hours!]
2. Shuttle flights as you mentioned.
3. Removal of ALL the windfarms
4. promoting of the natural beauty and historic Caithness
5. Tell Tesco to take a hike and develop the mart site to benefit Thurso
6. Bulldoze Dounreay and concrete it over with some nice landscaping to hide it
7. Build more housing to entice people to live here
8. Which in turn will lead to (hopefully) more employment when businesses see the workforce capability
9. Get rid of the eyesore derelict buildings and build new ones in that place
10. Enlarge Wick harbour so as to accommodate some cruise ships

Most of all though, capitalise on what we ALREADY HAVE UP HERE!!!

RagnarRocks
30-Sep-13, 21:25
Funnily enough I had a friend pop up from down south this weekend and he actually said he didn't find the wind farms that bad he thought they fitted into the landscape and I can see 30 odd of them from my place. I agree with Dounreay comment place does look a mess. Not sure the tesco thing is valid as it seems well used but some development in that area would be good.I think some of the derelict buildings add to the rural feel and add character but surely some could be modernised for youngsters to live in renovation grants would be a good idea, longer term Caithness will develop nicely if you consider the uk is becoming very full down south,people like peace and tranquility this place could easily be a second home area if not careful which forces up house prices . A larger harbour would pull in ships but then you need something for the passengers to see :0))

mi16
30-Sep-13, 21:27
Hmm, where to start!1. decent road network and rail link to inverness, preferably one that doesn't take 4 hours!]2. Shuttle flights as you mentioned. 3. Removal of ALL the windfarms4. promoting of the natural beauty and historic Caithness5. Tell Tesco to take a hike and develop the mart site to benefit Thurso6. Bulldoze Dounreay and concrete it over with some nice landscaping to hide it7. Build more housing to entice people to live here8. Which in turn will lead to (hopefully) more employment when businesses see the workforce capability9. Get rid of the eyesore derelict buildings and build new ones in that place10. Enlarge Wick harbour so as to accommodate some cruise shipsMost of all though, capitalise on what we ALREADY HAVE UP HERE!!!How do you propose to finance these "improvements"

RagnarRocks
30-Sep-13, 21:33
How do you propose to finance these "improvements"Well you have to have ideas before you can worry about costs ideas are FREE and cost nothing same as using this org.If you don't put ideas forward how on earth can you start to consider costings. Mind living in a derelict building by Dounreay with no rail air or sea links no jobs seems to be what you're instigating at or just trolling for a reaction

mi16
30-Sep-13, 21:48
Well you have to have ideas before you can worry about costs ideas are FREE and cost nothing same as using this org.If you don't put ideas forward how on earth can you start to consider costings. Mind living in a derelict building by Dounreay with no rail air or sea links no jobs seems to be what you're instigating at or just trolling for a reactionWithout having a line of bankrolling the ideas then it is pie in the sky.How about a G.P track

squidge
30-Sep-13, 21:54
Make the most of what you have. You cant offer the attractions of cities or large areas but there is so much to offer. Make the most of the space and the 180 degree skies. Archeology, Creative industries - artists, craft skills - painters, potters, knitters, sewers, sculptors, all the wonderfully talented people there are living in Caithness - use them, fill the empty shops with their work. Make the most of the wonderful produce that there is in Caithness, great food, great produce, encourage artisan producers, make the most of the fish and the seafood. Make the culture speak for itself, music, traditional ceilidh evenings - storytelling, traditional poetry - I have had such fun reading the poems that were linked to on the other thread, make the most of the dialect and the traditional skills. And sell it, SELL IT, SELL IT.

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-13, 22:23
If it isn't broke, don't try and fix it.

Rheghead
30-Sep-13, 22:24
Thurso harbour/riverside needs re-landscaping. Horrible buildings down there that need relocating. A lovely walk that is blighted by utilities that offer nothing to the beautiful views.

rich62_uk
30-Sep-13, 23:05
Get rid of the wind farms.

And as Gaz said cover Dounreay up.

Something does need to be done for the youngsters here in the way of work or they will leave which would be a shame. Perhaps if we build on
tourism that could be a way of employing them ?

Utilise the 'old' buildings as tourist love to see them.

No more housing as there are enough and more would encourage others to move here !

Some get back to nature holidays for tourist would also be a plus.

ADVERTISE Caithness as a tourist attraction showing the best it has to offer by way of scenery/history !

Hold more events throughout the year like the Mod and Nashville etc.

linnie612
30-Sep-13, 23:16
Something does need to be done for the youngsters here in the way of work or they will leave which would be a shame.
No more housing as there are enough and more would encourage others to move here !

How can youngsters be expected to remain here if there is no housing for them.:confused

rich62_uk
30-Sep-13, 23:27
Maybe then we should get back to the areas heritage and start renovating some of the 'old' buildings rather than build new.

Kenn
30-Sep-13, 23:35
1. Clean the place up, every fence is littered with plastic, every lay by with tinnies and the beaches need attention. 2. Get some of the old buildings restored, they deserve it. 3.Stop the ribbon building of new houses. 4.Take pride in the county. 5.Promote what is unique.6. Get a craft trail established. 7. Get Inverness to acknowledge that there is a very special area north of there and that The Tourist Information needs a good kicking up the proverbial!

RagnarRocks
30-Sep-13, 23:58
Some cracking ideas coming in most of which are fairly low cost

secrets in symmetry
01-Oct-13, 00:00
As MerlinScot suggested on the "Secret idea" thread, we should develop our many brochs and other ancient sites into tourist attractions that could compete with Orkney - and provide jobs.
An exhibition at the Dounreay golf ball would attract visitors - and provide jobs.
Encourage more indigenous activity in marine energy and services for the oil industry - to provide jobs.
Improve the rail link to Inverness by building some bridges.
Shops stay open at lunchtime, and don't have so many half-days.
Orkneycadian has argued that cruise ships don't bring a lot because the visitors don't spend much when ashore, so don't put too much effort into selling stuff to them, but be welcoming to the cruisers in order to entice them back for longer stays.
Erect bilingual Norse/Scots road signs.
Expand the Camps into a worldwide franchise to rival Macdonalds. :cool:

mi16
01-Oct-13, 03:24
Build a "Disneyland Scotland" series of interlinked therme parks.

RagnarRocks
01-Oct-13, 08:13
Build a "Disneyland Scotland" series of interlinked therme parks.What a great idea but we already have fairy tale castles :0) Real wild animals and beautiful scenery. And enough fairy stories legends to build something far more impressive than Disney co can provide Mon Dieu M16 you're a positive genius maybe you should replace the ECK for the job of 1st as I can see you're a caring compassionate sort with not a bad word to say about anyone and always brimming with positivity and helpfulness.

mi16
01-Oct-13, 11:07
What a great idea but we already have fairy tale castles :0) Real wild animals and beautiful scenery. And enough fairy stories legends to build something far more impressive than Disney co can provide Mon Dieu M16 you're a positive genius maybe you should replace the ECK for the job of 1st as I can see you're a caring compassionate sort with not a bad word to say about anyone and always brimming with positivity and helpfulness.

I dont know about cloud cuckoo land, but in my world it is called reality.

RagnarRocks
01-Oct-13, 11:21
I dont know about cloud cuckoo land, but in my world it is called reality.Do you always struggle accepting praise for your worthy input :0))

mi16
01-Oct-13, 12:40
no rail air or sea links
Is that besides the rail network, harbours and airport currently in Caithness?

RagnarRocks
01-Oct-13, 13:02
Try quoting in context . Trolling again :0)

mi16
01-Oct-13, 13:15
Try quoting in context . Trolling again :0)

I apologise if I have taken you out of context.
For the avoidance of doubt can you please confirm the context of the post in question?

ducati
02-Oct-13, 12:51
Maybe then we should get back to the areas heritage and start renovating some of the 'old' buildings rather than build new.

Cant I'm afraid. They will never meet building regs without dismantling and re-building. Much, much, cheaper to build new.

There is a reason they were abandoned in the first place.

rich62_uk
02-Oct-13, 12:59
Tourist dont want to see new they like the old, wouldnt it in the long run (if tourist are encouraged) make money for Caithness if old buildings were put to use ?

mi16
02-Oct-13, 14:38
Tourist dont want to see new they like the old, wouldnt it in the long run (if tourist are encouraged) make money for Caithness if old buildings were put to use ?

Caithness doesnt exactly have many feature packed old buildings that woudl have the tourists flocking in.

rob murray
02-Oct-13, 14:58
Caithness doesnt exactly have many feature packed old buildings that woudl have the tourists flocking in.

Build a new nuclear reactor
Store radioactive rubbish storage facilities
Provide huge subsidies to off shore tidal developers

All 3 create work, tourism...largely low paid short seasonal work, so why bother, leave the tourists to do what they do....pass through Caithness to Orkney which has an established tourism culture....Caithness doesn't, never had and never will. WHo in their right mind would come to caithness on holiday...theres 2 days at best in Caithness.

Thats it, all thats to it

rob murray
02-Oct-13, 15:24
All 3 create work, tourism...largely low paid short seasonal work, so why bother, leave the tourists to do what they do....pass through Caithness to Orkney which has an established tourism culture....Caithness doesn't, never had and never will. WHo in their right mind would come to caithness on holiday...theres 2 days at best in Caithness.

Oh..a bombing range, military base would work to, after all in 8 -10 years time who will be left !

rob murray
02-Oct-13, 15:58
I dont know about cloud cuckoo land, but in my world it is called reality.

Just as well you live in your own wee world eh lol

mi16
02-Oct-13, 16:39

Aye along with a whole bunch of idiots

rob murray
02-Oct-13, 16:53

Evict them, throw them !!

ducati
02-Oct-13, 19:25

Not if you have to live in them.

Big Gaz
02-Oct-13, 20:02

takes one and a better one to know one and describe one......as my old granny used to say [lol]

secrets in symmetry
03-Oct-13, 00:44

Oh..a bombing range, military base would work to, after all in 8 -10 years time who will be left !

Given your first two posts above, does anyone live with you and the cuckoos in your cloudy wee world?

rob murray
03-Oct-13, 09:56
Given your first two posts above, does anyone live with you and the cuckoos in your cloudy wee world?

Two excellent posts if I say so myself, by definition, as you say its my world so its just me that lives there as for cuckoo's nah plenty of pigeons though lol lol lol

rob murray
03-Oct-13, 10:04

Ok why do the vast majority of tourists motor through to Scrabster ??? WHats there in Caithness to attract and to hold people and don't give me the guff about Caithness being a welcoming place....so is Palma Majorca ! The place has no identity, ie not gael nor norse....the vast majority of visitors to scotland wish to consume what they see as authentic scottish experiences or what the perceive as scottish experiences....Caithness....does it / will it ever fit the bill ?? Whats wrong with building a new reactor / storage facilities anyhow...if it wasn't for Dounreay a Caithness would have been another Stroma ! Do I hear cuckoo's ???

Bruce_H
03-Oct-13, 23:16
Granted, I don't live in Caithness - though I wish I did.

Prosperity revolves around the production of something someone else is willing to pay for. Long term prosperity for an area flows from 3 things in the modern age, and right now Caithness is moving sideways or backwards on most of them:

1) Transportation - how quickly you can move goods and people around. Caithness is in a tough spot here.
2) Energy - The amount of energy generated per person in a local area is actually directly related to wealth. Caithness could be the power source for most of Britain and benefit greatly from it.
3) Information - If you had #2, you could find a way to become a good place to set up and run data centers for all sorts of information companies. From that would flow good high-tech jobs that would attract / interest the younger workers that some are concerned would never settle in the north.

I personally have considered if I should try to use the money I have made over the years to address #2 or #3, but think that I would probably have too many angry people wanting to fight such an effort. But given the declining business environment in the US, opening shop in the UK is looking better.

Kenn
03-Oct-13, 23:59
'scuse me are we all talking about the same county? Caithness has scenery, wildlife and archaeology to challenge anywhere in The United Kingdom. It has beaches to die for and although it might be a few feet short of a mountain it sure has some high hills!

radiohead
04-Oct-13, 01:44
Can I ask, why does virtually every post on the "Org" degenerate into some kind of battle? This one started sensibly then got hijacked by trolls. Also if we dispense with wind, wave and nuclear energy (because nobody likes to look at the generators), how is anybody going to afford their own bills let alone have spare money to visit Caithness.

rob murray
04-Oct-13, 10:56
'scuse me are we all talking about the same county? Caithness has scenery, wildlife and archaeology to challenge anywhere in The United Kingdom. It has beaches to die for and although it might be a few feet short of a mountain it sure has some high hills!

Yep granted and undisputed, but the above has hardly attracted droves of tourists, not in my life time, its also a wee bit cold.

Alrock
04-Oct-13, 12:06
Dounreay could be converted into an extermination camp for the long term unemployed as advocated by some on here...
Could even put them to work first helping with the decommissioning of the more radioactive parts as they won't need any safety equipment since they are about to die anyway.

rob murray
04-Oct-13, 12:20
Dounreay could be converted into an extermination camp for the long term unemployed as advocated by some on here...
Could even put them to work first helping with the decommissioning of the more radioactive parts as they won't need any safety equipment since they are about to die anyway.

You know what, given the bile spewed by certain people, your quite possibly correct !

secrets in symmetry
04-Oct-13, 21:33
Two excellent posts if I say so myself, by definition, as you say its my world so its just me that lives there as for cuckoo's nah plenty of pigeons though lol lol lolI wrote only one excellent post, but I agree that it's worth two excellent posts written by most others. :cool:

Have you ever written an excellent post, or do you always project your cuckoos onto the real world by suggesting things that won't happen in the near future?

Why do you denigrate Caithness so much?

secrets in symmetry
04-Oct-13, 21:42
Could even put them to work first helping with the decommissioning of the more radioactive parts as they won't need any safety equipment since they are about to die anyway.I'm afraid Dounreay has already been booked for solving the problem of recalcitrant failed secessionists post eckerendum:

Our great nation will need to deal with a serious problem after the secessionist referendum has been lost by the secessionist traitors. History tells us that the best way to deal with the vanquished is to rid ourselves of the problem.

So, should we exclude them, or execute them? History suggests that the latter is the best solution (and perhaps the most logical one), and it might also be argued that it's the most rational and objective one. The problem with that solution is mainly ecological - what would we do with so many remains?

Where in Caithness would we create our "Patriotic Landfill" without increasing our Carbon Footprint?

Evidently, the decision of where to locate the execution site has already been made, although there's some local opposition:

Dounreay firing range plan sparks new protest (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Dounreay-firing-range-plan-sparks-new-protest-25012013.htm)

Less well known is where the remains will be dumped:

Dounreay nuclear waste to be stored in 'big holes' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18728165)

Does that big open hole look suitable for dumping nuclear waste? Lol, of course not! :cool:

ducati
04-Oct-13, 22:13
The ideal future would be as a retirement community for people who don't want a community. All the goods and services this group of cash rich would need would fuel a healthy economy. Look at Florida. Of course, this would require a more relaxed attitude to incomers. :Razz

secrets in symmetry
04-Oct-13, 22:19
'scuse me are we all talking about the same county? Caithness has scenery, wildlife and archaeology to challenge anywhere in The United Kingdom. It has beaches to die for and although it might be a few feet short of a mountain it sure has some high hills!Indeed.

The nay sayers seem to have a problem observing what's around them.

luskentyre
05-Oct-13, 00:14
I love living here - really I do. I think we're genuinely lucky to have such a relatively unspoilt landscape and a good quality of life. However, I wish (some) people were a bit more interested in welcoming visitors more and delivering a decent service. I had guests up recently and it was frankly embarrassing how bad it can sometimes be. Even getting a decent meal in the evening was a struggle. I'm not going to name the establishment in question but we ended up just walking out since it was so bad. I suggested somewhere else but it was closed. We went to a John O' Groats and even there certain individuals seem to think that working in the service industry requires a miserable attitude. What happened to service with a smile? Their accommodation was cold, damp and even basic things like supplying tea/coffee seemed to be a problem.

My guests spent a few days in Orkney afterwards and the difference was immense. The difference perhaps is that Orkney is dependant on the tourist industry whereas Thurso is not (yet). Things are going to change up here a great deal over the next 10 years and we need to be ready. I see very little evidence so far unfortunately. It's a shame since the county has a lot of offer but we need to provide a decent "wrapper" to encourage people to see it.

secrets in symmetry
05-Oct-13, 01:31
Coincidentally, I had a visit last night from a friend who lives down south. He has spent a few days working in Thurso on a couple of occasions recently. He described the accommodation and service he received in one Thurso establishment as dire. Contrastingly, he had much better things to say about the Pentland Hotel. :cool:

I won't name the "dire" establishment either.

(I haven't stayed in either establishment, and I have no connections with either.)

mi16
05-Oct-13, 08:24
Why not name the poor establishments, it may be the encouragement they need to up their game.

Southern-Gal
05-Oct-13, 08:30
I do think that all the old croft houses lying infields falling down is a waste it also looks a bit eerie to people not used to seeing them. Maybe they could be used to face new builds or put into the founds when replacements are built to lessen the look of ghost farms and houses dotted about the fields and more rural areas. Obviously not the special ones they ought to be sympathetically restored to their former glory for all to see.
A working slaughter house would be a benefit to all including the animals we eat up here.
There you go Ragnar Rocks two good projects to get your mind spinning :)

ducati
05-Oct-13, 08:32
I do think that all the old croft houses lying infields falling down is a waste it also looks a bit eerie to people not used to seeing them. Maybe they could be used to face new builds or put into the founds when replacements are built to lessen the look of ghost farms and houses dotted about the fields and more rural areas. Obviously not the special ones they ought to be sympathetically restored to their former glory for all to see.
A working slaughter house would be a benefit to all including the animals we eat up here.
There you go Ragnar Rocks two good projects to get your mind spinning :)

I like the 'ghost farms', adds to the atmosphere of the place.

mi16
05-Oct-13, 08:38
I do think that all the old croft houses lying infields falling down is a waste it also looks a bit eerie to people not used to seeing them. Maybe they could be used to face new builds or put into the founds when replacements are built to lessen the look of ghost farms and houses dotted about the fields and more rural areas. Obviously not the special ones they ought to be sympathetically restored to their former glory for all to see. A working slaughter house would be a benefit to all including the animals we eat up here.There you go Ragnar Rocks two good projects to get your mind spinning :)Are these old buildings not listed?Yes the last slaughter house worked well didn't it?

Sgitheanach
05-Oct-13, 12:19
Caithness undersells its self to the tourist industry there is a lot of potential but it is the same sites that get promoted year in year out but in order to develop the tourist industry you need to have the infastructure to get visitors here,good quality affordable accommodation a method of funding for new attractions and you need to understand that you can not change things overnight i belong to Skye where we ran a guest house and were involved in promoting several other tourist attractions tourism provides jobs but not well paid jobs unless you own your business .

secrets in symmetry
05-Oct-13, 16:10
Why not name the poor establishments, it may be the encouragement they need to up their game.Although I trust my friend's judgement, it was second-hand information. Also, I wouldn't want to quote him without his permission.

mi16
05-Oct-13, 18:57
Although I trust my friend's judgement, it was second-hand information. Also, I wouldn't want to quote him without his permission.Very wise approach

secrets in symmetry
05-Oct-13, 23:47
Very wise approachYou know me - I'm always careful and always polite when tangible evidence is a little scarce. :cool:

orkneycadian
08-Oct-13, 21:42
The difference perhaps is that Orkney is dependent on the tourist industry whereas Thurso is not (yet).

Whilst it provides a very useful additional income, I wouldn't say that tourism is the be all and end all - Sure it is if you are in that industry, but figures from OIC (sorry, newest ones I could find online - 2011 report - http://www.orkney.gov.uk/Files/Business-and-Trade/Orkney%20Economic%20Review%202011.zip) suggest that out of 1495 active enterprises, 80 were involved in accommodation and food services. OK, there will be a few more that fall into things like recreation and some more like construction companies that get work from building hotels and the likes. But the percentage impact from tourism is most definitely a minor one in the big picture. The year before's report suggests that 11.1% of jobs in Orkney were "tourism related" but this is based on 2008 data.

The 2009 data says that tourism was worth £32 million to the Orkney economy. Not to be sniffed at, I agree, but still a small proportion of Orkney's total economy. Sometimes, the tourism industry attracts to much focus - "We cant have any rural development is case it scares off the tourists", even though rural business completely eclipses tourism business. Like many other things, some perspective needs to be maintained!

Be careful if believing that tourism and tourism alone can sustain Caithness!

luskentyre
09-Oct-13, 00:01
Be careful if believing that tourism and tourism alone can sustain Caithness!

Perhaps "dependant" was the wrong term but I think you'll agree it's an important aspect of the Orkney economy (and one they take seriously). It's not just accommodation and food, it's retail, visitor attractions, travel etc. as well.

I do accept that tourism will never sustain Caithness, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm to support it. I just think we're far too complacent and short-sighted sometimes.

secrets in symmetry
12-Oct-13, 02:04
Whilst it provides a very useful additional income, I wouldn't say that tourism is the be all and end all - Sure it is if you are in that industry, but figures from OIC (sorry, newest ones I could find online - 2011 report - http://www.orkney.gov.uk/Files/Business-and-Trade/Orkney%20Economic%20Review%202011.zip) suggest that out of 1495 active enterprises, 80 were involved in accommodation and food services. OK, there will be a few more that fall into things like recreation and some more like construction companies that get work from building hotels and the likes. But the percentage impact from tourism is most definitely a minor one in the big picture. The year before's report suggests that 11.1% of jobs in Orkney were "tourism related" but this is based on 2008 data.

The 2009 data says that tourism was worth £32 million to the Orkney economy. Not to be sniffed at, I agree, but still a small proportion of Orkney's total economy. Sometimes, the tourism industry attracts to much focus - "We cant have any rural development is case it scares off the tourists", even though rural business completely eclipses tourism business. Like many other things, some perspective needs to be maintained!

Be careful if believing that tourism and tourism alone can sustain Caithness!Thanks for such an enlightening post. I think most of us Caithness folk believed that Orkney lives on tourism and little else.

hopper.65
13-Oct-13, 01:39
Ok why do the vast majority of tourists motor through to Scrabster ??? WHats there in Caithness to attract and to hold people and don't give me the guff about Caithness being a welcoming place....so is Palma Majorca ! The place has no identity, ie not gael nor norse....the vast majority of visitors to scotland wish to consume what they see as authentic scottish experiences or what the perceive as scottish experiences....Caithness....does it / will it ever fit the bill ?? Whats wrong with building a new reactor / storage facilities anyhow...if it wasn't for Dounreay a Caithness would have been another Stroma ! Do I hear cuckoo's ???

I think you have told it exactly as is and certainly no cuckoo's ringing in my ears, Caithness for the vast majority of tourists offers little appeal, yes you get twitchers and those who like to sit and read a book in silence for a week with little else to distract them from doing so.
Caithness simply doesn't have the stunning beauty or the activities of the likes of Wester Ross and Sutherland and to most it is a baron wasteland with no trees, but the tourist board for this area should be ashamed they have done nothing to exploit the abundance of natural history we have in Caithness, look at the Camster Cairns there is not even anyone to tell you about the place and there is many more sites which could be a tourist magnet, they place that the most effort goes into is the Whaligoe steps and that is done by Davy who lives in the cottage at the top who donates his own time to tell tourists what went on here, the steps aren't even sign posted! .
Orkney puts us to shame when it comes to turning what they have on their doorstep into generating a sound economy, Orkney is not a place of beauty, some may think it is but i don't believe it is any more attractive than Caithness, maybe even less do yet because they have made the most of what they have it has a really good tourist industry while Caithness direct them straight to ferry with Orkney the only ones to benefit.
Even they way they support their small businesses is much superior to us and in Caithness and Sutherland it was one blunder after the other pouring millions into schemes that did nothing.
Orkney apart from Flotta has no big employer like Dounreay and there economy flourishes on small businesses that grow steadily with excellent support from their development agency.
I have seen the difference between how much better they are at promoting their local industries over the utterly useless twits we have here who really don't help this county at all and i know that to be a fact.
Dounreay should never of been run down and it should of been a major source in this countries future power sources.
There is not going to be a large employer attracted here to replace Dounreay and Caithness will never now be able to find alternative work for this amount of people.
The whole CASE thing here was nothing but a joke for years, though i admit with Roy Kirk it is improving but think even his best efforts will not be what they could of been due to the shambles that we had for years before he was appointed.

ducati
13-Oct-13, 12:17
I'd have thought that for such a small population we are doing rather well for traditional and green and high tec industries.

Let's see, Dounreay; is years and years behind in the decomissioning process and is issuing new contracts and employing new skills continually. I've not seen the latest target end date but I'll bet a stack of cash this high it won't be met.

Subsea 7 have new contracts and are expanding again.

There finally seems to be activity in the firth from Meygen and others.

Our high tech firm in Wick, Kongsburgh seems to be busy looking at the carpark

All the farms and crofts look as busy as they should at this time of the year

There are more shops opening in the high street again

Various building firms are increasing activity I've noticed

and tourist and transport traffic on the A9 looks pretty healthy.

rob murray
15-Oct-13, 09:23
I wrote only one excellent post, but I agree that it's worth two excellent posts written by most others. :cool:

Have you ever written an excellent post, or do you always project your cuckoos onto the real world by suggesting things that won't happen in the near future?

Why do you denigrate Caithness so much?

I dont Im a Caithnessian / Wicker, looking at Wick Ive seen the complete shut down of fishing and related services / Caithness glass etc...I mean whats in Wick ? Im only looking at realistic options, and frankly Nuclear related work is the only work which would provide the scale to provide regular large scale employment given the coming closure of Dounreay. My concern is for the county and the comming generation. Without the nuclear option, then I agree with what Ducatti posted, Caithness as a glorified retirement home im sorry to say !

RagnarRocks
15-Oct-13, 12:48
I think in time and with the increasing demands for power at some stage someone will grasp the nettle and new nuclear stations will be built. Personally I have no major issues with modern nuclear stations and the Fukushima argument doesn't really apply with the completely different geological conditions.

ducati
15-Oct-13, 18:54
I think in time and with the increasing demands for power at some stage someone will grasp the nettle and new nuclear stations will be built. Personally I have no major issues with modern nuclear stations and the Fukushima argument doesn't really apply with the completely different geological conditions.

Nuclear energy is a political football in Scotland. The only hope for it's future is a No vote and the end of the SNP wreckers.

Bobinovich
15-Oct-13, 19:14
Nuclear energy is a political football in Scotland. The only hope for it's future is a No vote and the end of the SNP wreckers.

Not necessarily - a Yes vote followed by kicking the SNP to the kerb at the next election could free up things for a pro-nuclear party to step in

ducati
16-Oct-13, 09:09
Not necessarily - a Yes vote followed by kicking the SNP to the kerb at the next election could free up things for a pro-nuclear party to step in

Mmm... bit of a risky strategy that.

Bobinovich
16-Oct-13, 12:31
Mmm... bit of a risky strategy that.

What's life without a few risks lol, plus an independent Scotland without AS/SNP at the helm would give us more 'local' accountability without all the crap that comes along with them...just a means to an end. Anyway, could anyone really do worse than what we've got/had for the last X years in Westminster :/?

mi16
16-Oct-13, 13:16
See Ireland or Iceland or Greece for further details