PDA

View Full Version : 'Exercise' like you're a kid again.

Tilly Teckel
24-Sep-13, 23:31
So, I'm trying to get fit and lose some weight but exercise is soooo BORING! As I get older, I get lazier and fatter but I was a naturally skinny child and always on the go, which got me thinking...

Why don't we just do the things we did when we were kids? Maybe not out in public (for fear of being carted off to the funny farm), but somewhere indoors with plenty of room to run around. I started making a list of things I loved to play which involve 'exercise' and this is what I have so far...

Tag
Hopscotch
Skipping
Space hopper
Hula Hoop
Roller Skating
Cowboys & Indians / Cops & Robbers
Kiss chase
British Bulldogs
Musical chairs
Musical statues
Sack race
Egg & spoon race
Wheelbarrow race
Tug o'war
Water fights
Pillow fights
Swingball
Trampolining / Bouncy Castle
Piggyback races
Frisbee

No wonder I was skinny, I never stopped! What else do you remember from your childhood??

Would anyone else be interested in doing something with this? If enough people were up for it we could maybe hire out a hall once a week, gather together some basic toys ('exercise equipment') and just have some fun!

Anyone interested...? :Razz

George Brims
26-Sep-13, 19:00
Get a Doberman. Ours is wearing the legs off me.

Kevin Milkins
26-Sep-13, 19:15
My favourite childhood games where climbing conker trees and doctors and nurses.;)

If you want some exercise to loose some weight you can come and dig some potatoes.

Tilly Teckel
26-Sep-13, 19:54
Get a Doberman. Ours is wearing the legs off me.

Believe it or not, I have 5 dogs, but they tend to run whilst I amble along behind!

Tilly Teckel
26-Sep-13, 19:57
My favourite childhood games where climbing conker trees and doctors and nurses.;)

If you want some exercise to loose some weight you can come and dig some potatoes.

Errr, probably not Kev, thanks anyway. Meant to call you and say Dave is not up to it either - his back is playing up. If you fancy playing doctors and nurses, though, you're welcome to call round. For Dave, I mean - he could do with some medical attention! ;)

mi16
26-Sep-13, 20:02
Expect a knock on the door from operation yewtree

Kevin Milkins
26-Sep-13, 20:19
Errr, probably not Kev, thanks anyway. Meant to call you and say Dave is not up to it either - his back is playing up. If you fancy playing doctors and nurses, though, you're welcome to call round. For Dave, I mean - he could do with some medical attention! ;)

We have dug most of them now.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1271926_10202070371587032_1344296324_o.jpg

Tell Dave to take it easy, although I like him I don't fancy playing doctors and nurses with him.

Dadie
26-Sep-13, 22:52
Elastics...kinda like skipping/jumping
Whats the time Mr Wolf
Dodgeball
Den building
Tree climbing
sandcastle building..paddling, shell hunting, rockpool hunting and rock climbing/scrambling
paddling/puddle jumping
hide n seek in fields
swings and roundabouts etc
netball
badminton
rounders
go cart making and racing and pulling the darn thing home in pieces to start again...
sledging and snowball fights and slide making and snowman making...
jumping in leaf piles
highland dancing
Scooters, bike riding...remember going to Castletown just for a tin of coke as the shop in Dunnet was closed!
A ball bouncing game where you clapped you hands before catching the ball...got more elaborate the further on you got..
Wallie..kicking a football against the wall
Then getting older..teens..
Swimming as in squads
canoeing
surfing
horseriding
dinghy sailing
Though I hated PE I was active enough.....built like a butchers pencil with the wood shaved off!