PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think this is a good idea?

j4bberw0ck
07-Feb-07, 13:30
>>>This link<<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6333673.stm) shows that the Home Secretary seems to think that government may be able to enforce a single internet identity on us all - a single, registered identity, for life. Presumably it would be a criminal offence to have another, unregistered identity.

The reason? As usual, paedophiles have provided a marvellous excuse. Any old hysteria will do.

I wonder if the Home Secretary has heard of proxy servers and anonymiser services run in countries outside the UK? Of encryption? I wonder if he sees another marvellous extension of the Home Office staffed with thousands of diligent Civil Servants all on above-the-national-average salaries and generous final salary pension schemes, all beavering away to make sure we only have one internet identity.

Anyone got any thoughts? Anyone think it's a great idea?

Angela
07-Feb-07, 13:34
Quick answer -NO! :roll:

Dog-eared
07-Feb-07, 14:50
NO , NO , NO !!

It will not prevent the paedophile problem , but it would help the government spy on us all , law abiding or not.
Computer technology is so advanced nowadays that the government can easily store detailed information on every British citizen , and I do mean where you have been ,and where your car has been .It just needs the means to gather the information legally.
We are already trackable via our mobiles ,speed cameras can read our car numberplates, etc.
They plan to track cars by satellite to control speeding and assess road tax based on mileage. ( rather than sensibly tax us at the petrol pumps).
Trying for ID cards also.

Yet our diet is the worst in Europe ( we eat more processed food in the UK than the rest of EUROPE put together ) ,we have high and numerous taxes, shocking health care , pensions in meltdown,etc.

Nevertheless, the government still want to go further down the very expensive George Orwell "1984" total control route rather than directly addressing the problems the country has at a grass roots level.

Oddquine
07-Feb-07, 15:48
Yet another stupid idea...to add to the many they have already produced.

I wonder if there are people being paid big bucks per silly suggestion?

pat
07-Feb-07, 16:10
No more incompetent government papers - there are enough government employees without this further level.

cuddlepop
07-Feb-07, 16:19
No.I just dont see it making any difference to the problem they are trying to address,its just an another excuse:mad:

squidge
07-Feb-07, 17:52
It scares me how controlled we are.

Cinders392
07-Feb-07, 17:53
No. However the future is now and Mr George Orwell's fiction book '1984' seems that it will not fall under this classification in our libraries for very long!

percy toboggan
07-Feb-07, 20:07
An emphatic NO from me.

Ricco
08-Feb-07, 12:39
Definitely not! At present I am getting a load of spam from some of those red-neck US mailers and I know the quick solution will be to set myself up with a new ID and scrap the old one. You would never get rid of the rubbish otherwise; certainly, the Gvnt don't do anything about spammers.

Kaishowing
08-Feb-07, 12:48
Identity theft is already a huge problem...just imagine how much more havok could be created when someone's single internet ID is stolen?
:eek:

weeboyagee
08-Feb-07, 14:31
NO! Get out of my life and stay out! Liberty and freedom! Catch the crooks and leave us alone! Political point scoring is becoming a pain in the butt!

WBG [mad]

Angela
08-Feb-07, 14:56
What next, I wonder? Maybe everyone will have microchips implanted in infancy? :eek:
Not a funny thought, really...

j4bberw0ck
08-Feb-07, 15:33
Microchips? Nahhhhh..... might turn out to be like the microchips in the spanky new 10-year electronically enabled passport we all have to pay £66 for now. Trouble is the microchip embedded in it has a guaranteed life / data retention life of 2 years. Oh, and the chip readers at most of Britain's airports and points of entry are incompatible.

Only a government could organise that. But will they fire the incompetent burk that oversaw the specifications? Hmm.... he (or she) has probably been promoted out of harm's way.

Angela, I have to say it would be far, far simpler to print a bar code on everyone's forehead at birth. Or perhaps tattoo ID numbers on forearms.

Oh..... somebody beat me to that idea.......... :~(

Whitewater
08-Feb-07, 17:00
Yes j4bberw0ck Hitler tried it out on the Jews. Any idea like that makes me cringe.

Stumurf
08-Feb-07, 17:25
its like most government schemes, a good idea in theory but as usual, impractical, extremely difficult to implement, even harder to maintain and restricts the majority because of an inconsiderste minority.

but governments will never cease to come up with more imaginative ways to monitor its populous. especially as its populous continue to create ever more ways to segregate society.

and i can see how the electronic passports could slowly phase into electronic ID cards and then attempt to implement this idea in the future as we will all then have much more of an electronic identity.

yet more fuel for the conspiracy theorists to stew over...

Rheghead
09-Feb-07, 00:34
The Home Secretary Rt. Hon. John Reid MP seems to have multiple personalities using John Reid and Big Brother sharing the same computer.

Bobinovich
09-Feb-07, 00:48
LOL! Classic Rheggers [lol]

Moira
09-Feb-07, 01:32
Rheghead - excellent!

So - it might just work then.....? :lol:

emb123
09-Feb-07, 01:38
I can see the signs at the airport: "Welcome to the United Kindgom", please read the rule book provided. Violators will be shot."

Just another way of making it clear that if the current 'powers that be' had their way, the UK would already be a Police State by now.

j4bberw0ck
09-Feb-07, 09:45
Be interesting to hear the opposing view - that it's a great idea. 7 people so far seem to have voted approval; would any of the seven be prepared to stick their head up above the parapet and say why?

<waves white flag of truce energetically> :lol:

Torvaig
09-Feb-07, 11:48
There is already a system in use which can place a registered computer in a particular place and, according to that system, I live in a village about 700 miles from where I am so it is not an exact science!

I also applied online for a post with the IPS (Identity and Passport Service) and on entering my name and chosen password, I gained entry to someone else's application and lo and behold, there was her full name, her age, nat. ins. no., passport no., previous name and addresses, place of work etc.,etc., in fact everything needed to set up a new identify. (I didn't; quite happy with my own).

On informing the Home Office of this little blip, I received no reply. On contacting the IPS, I was told that only their recruitment company was dealing with any correspondence about the post.

I got an apology from the recruitment company, along with the information that it had ONLY affected about 15 people but that they had contacted a further 100 plus who MAY have been!

They also said they had contacted the person whose details I had accessed but, on phoning her with my newly acquired info from her application, she informed me that no-one had been in touch!

So rest easy in your beds folks; all is well with the world and the security in Government departments! :eek:

katarina
09-Feb-07, 13:29
I have a better idea - shoot all the peadophiles and leave the rest of us alone.

Victoria
11-Feb-07, 13:47
no - it wont solve anything - just provide them with the means of more direct marketing!