PDA

View Full Version : Used Cooking Oil

Baconbuttie
22-Sep-13, 14:24
I have some used cooking oil which the recycling centre refused to take because the fat content was too high. I wasn't aware that it was unrecyclable. Does the filtering machine they use not remove it? Just trying to be green, if a van exhaust smells of sausages its probably using my used veg oil.

Big Gaz
22-Sep-13, 14:38
if its Tesco pork sausages you have been using then maybe you'll get a few more horsepower from the oil!

orkneycadian
22-Sep-13, 16:12
Sounds like you council over there is getting as short sighted with recycling as ours are over here. In last weeks Orcadian, they are appealing to stop folk from fly tipping in the West Mainland, which follows close on the heels of the announcement that going to Alternate Weekly Connections has actually cost several hundred thousand pounds a year more than weekly collections. And they have found as well that landfill has gone up, whilst recycling has gone down.

Meanwhile, the recycling centres on the mainland are hardly ever open. Some are closed from Friday night till midday on Tuesday and are not open in the mornings. And they wonder why its not working?

I guess your council will start to wonder too why they are not meeting their recycling targets, sometime soon. Maybe they might eventually make the connection that to recycle stuff, the recycling centres actually have to be open, and to accept the stuff.

Baconbuttie
22-Sep-13, 17:49
Thought I might offer it to Homeaid, it must be useful to someone.

donnick
22-Sep-13, 19:29
seek out some horsey friends and offer it for hoof oil

Baconbuttie
22-Sep-13, 19:31
Thanks donnick - got a bit more than a litre or two - about 100L

Big Gaz
22-Sep-13, 20:54
Last lot of oil i "donated" to homeaid had the comment "great, i'll stick it in my shed for my own car when i pass the house later" from one of the workers so i never gave them any more. If you have a landrover you could just heat it up a little and filter it through some cotton wool. Thats all i used to do with my discovery 200tdi and i added it at a mix of 3 gallons oil to 7 gallons diesel and gave it a stir in a large drum before pouring it in the tank. I did change the fuel filter a little more often as a precaution and i never had any problems in the warmer months whatsoever. I never did this in the winter just in case it gunged up though.

donnick
23-Sep-13, 14:57
oh I see yeh maybe a bit much .... oil free to a good home

Dog-eared
24-Sep-13, 22:56
Big Gaz - used oil contains acids that wreck injection systems. That's why you need to process it.