PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Energy

Bobbyian
06-Feb-07, 21:38
As we had been discussing WindFarms etc and also wandering off into alternative Energy discussions I thought may be under this we could coordinate comments that weren`t specific to any particular field
having just found some info CSP

http://www.ceert.org/reports/052006_concentrating.pdf

it might be interesing reading

so if you find some info feel free to comment

Torvaig
07-Feb-07, 01:23
An interesting study by Black and Veatch; enlightening in fact!

CSP (concentrating solar power) and CPV (concentrating photovoltaic) is all very well in California but even there the large plants involved need a lot of very flat ground (Caithness?) so imagine the furore over having enormous mirror-like fields spoiling our countryside.

Also, I don't think, even though the power produced can be stored, that there enough sunny days here, especially in wintertime, with the very limited daylight hours.

The whole principle is intriguing and certainly such a system would provide a lot of employment both in it's construction stage and then during it's working life. I like the thought of not using up our valuable resources to produce energy except for the materials used in the plant and also in it's maintenance.

A thought; wouldn't such a system be a danger to pilots? Don't think their poloroids would stand up to the glare! ;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Feb-07, 01:37
Wind,Sea and Sun.I personally feel this is the way to go.Don't have the facts but would wind generators,solar panels and water turbines oot in the North Sea not generate more energy to keep us all going than drilling for oil.Oil is there but for how long?Aye so a wee ferry will have to take a detour around a few obstacles,but its the future we're talkin about.Its one thing that Scotlands famous for.A wee bit o' wind,a wee bit o' sun,LOTS o' rain,we've got a global market on oor very own doorsteps.Just takes a company wi big cahonnies to see this.

Camra
07-Feb-07, 13:57
i always felt that being able to harness the energy that the rise and fall of tides must generate( specially where theres a large difference in height) It can lift oil supertankers and seems to be free ( thanks moon !)

Cattach
07-Feb-07, 14:07
No problem with alternative energy - keep developing it. However, will never be enough for our needs. With global warmimg and the diminishing fossil fuels such as oil, Nuclear will be the only long term answer. The rest of the World knows that but not our Scottish Politicians. Even middle eastern countries with oil are developing nuclear ( hopefully just for peaceful purposes, if not we need Trident as well!). France, Sweden, Finland, Japan, USA, Russia to name but a few have extensive nuclear programmes.

the second coming
07-Feb-07, 21:01
Wind,Sea and Sun.I personally feel this is the way to go.Don't have the facts but would wind generators,solar panels and water turbines oot in the North Sea not generate more energy to keep us all going than drilling for oil.Oil is there but for how long?Aye so a wee ferry will have to take a detour around a few obstacles,but its the future we're talkin about.Its one thing that Scotlands famous for.A wee bit o' wind,a wee bit o' sun,LOTS o' rain,we've got a global market on oor very own doorsteps.Just takes a company wi big cahonnies to see this.

Very good points indeed, the hydro industry say "pennies from heaven" every time it rains, but there is limited scope for further development solar power works in moderate sunshine, I had a +60degC rise in my solar panel last winter on a bright but chilly day. The biggest problem was preventing the snow from covering the panel and hence shading the suns rays. Wind works but is only good for base load, and we all face a bi-peak demand curve, marine renwables are in their infancy, growing with a few leading technologies but still only good for base load, we've seen the dash for gas, nuclear plant that cannot compete commercially. Remember British Energy have been bailed out by the taxpayer, oops sorry British Government twice after facing bancrupty. The arguement for a non CO2 poluting technology is a good one but remember it is never going to be carbon neutral with the civil works involved, and its over 10 years away. Oh and I forgot the arguement for security of supply, yep, we got lots of ore mines in the UK to feed our fleet of aging reactors haven't we!!!! Coal is taken from China, India, Australia, Columbia and Russia, of course its cheap, but then it is dug up by 12 year old kids....

The answer my friends, .... I wish I new, if I did I'd be a rich man. The only thing I can do is minimise my fuel bill by efficiency and reduced consumption.

And carry on trying to find a solution!!! Suggestions on a post card eh!!

j4bberw0ck
08-Feb-07, 18:57
And carry on trying to find a solution!!! Suggestions on a post card eh!!

Found it! The Salvation of Mankind is >>>here<<<! (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/400937/candle_power_who_needs_batteries/)

Now if someone can just find a candle that doesn't release those nasty carbon thingummybobbers we'll be fine. :lol:

Bobbyian
08-Feb-07, 21:23
Very good points indeed, the hydro industry say "pennies from heaven" every time it rains, but there is limited scope for further development solar power works in moderate sunshine, I had a +60degC rise in my solar panel last winter on a bright but chilly day. The biggest problem was preventing the snow from covering the panel and hence shading the suns rays. Wind works but is only good for base load, and we all face a bi-peak demand curve, marine renwables are in their infancy, growing with a few leading technologies but still only good for base load, we've seen the dash for gas, nuclear plant that cannot compete commercially. Remember British Energy have been bailed out by the taxpayer, oops sorry British Government twice after facing bancrupty. The arguement for a non CO2 poluting technology is a good one but remember it is never going to be carbon neutral with the civil works involved, and its over 10 years away. Oh and I forgot the arguement for security of supply, yep, we got lots of ore mines in the UK to feed our fleet of aging reactors haven't we!!!! Coal is taken from China, India, Australia, Columbia and Russia, of course its cheap, but then it is dug up by 12 year old kids....

The answer my friends, .... I wish I new, if I did I'd be a rich man. The only thing I can do is minimise my fuel bill by efficiency and reduced consumption.

And carry on trying to find a solution!!! Suggestions on a post card

eh!!

thats what I agree with and therefore if you find any little or great info point in the direction so that more people are aware of what they may be able to do to minimise ther consumption etc