PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Independence? Hmmmm!

M Swanson
19-Sep-13, 08:03
How about we forget the usual childishness about the "Wail," and "Fail," and study this report by Simon Heffer in the Mail, huh? He makes some interesting points well worth taking on board. This is one action I feel the Scots can't afford to get wrong and decision time looms large.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2424713/Why-Scots-MUST-vote-independence-Itll-save-rest-fortune-says-provocative-SIMON-HEFFER.html

Oddquine
19-Sep-13, 09:24
How about we forget the usual childishness about the "Wail," and "Fail," and study this report by Simon Heffer in the Mail, huh? He makes some interesting points well worth taking on board. This is one action I feel the Scots can't afford to get wrong and decision time looms large.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2424713/Why-Scots-MUST-vote-independence-Itll-save-rest-fortune-says-provocative-SIMON-HEFFER.html

A selection of quotes from the responses to that article from people in England and pro-Unionists in Scotland...........

This is classic Simon Heffer being objectionable but not accurate.

The same IFS report quoted above states that Scotland only spends 42.7% of its GDP on government spending, whereas for the UK as a whole it is 45.5%. Who is subsidising who exactly?

I'm pro unionist however the tone of this article is so condescending and ill informed that I feel I must put a few points across. Scotland's supposed reliance on England through welfare payments, being the sick man of Europe etc could be through the population of a feckless nation hell bent on getting something for nothing...... o could it be the reason such areas of high unemployment and social problems exist in the first place is due to London centric tory policy legacy from the 80s onward. For example, privatising British steel one of the biggest employers in these areas.....Or just killing manufacturing and heavy industry in general, the life blood of these communities, so the old etonian City boys can generate even more wealth for themselves (Much in the same way the North of England has suffered from enforced tory government). In many ways you reap what you sew.

The fact is Scotland pays her way, why else are unionists desperate to keep her?

Simon Heffer, have a word with yourself. Your 'friendly' advice for us, your 'Scottish Cousins' is not only highly offensive but ridiculous. I am in fact, anti-independence, but its people like you that cause my blood to boil and swing me towards independence purely to prove you wrong! I am one of these people you believe we are lacking, a hard working, wealth-creating Scot. I also work in the Oil Industry off the coast of Shetland (or Norway) as you would say and we are going from strength to strength, shoulder to shoulder with my English colleagues, fuelling the engine of the UK economic recovery. Your article is completely ridiculous, sit up from your laptop, shake yourself down and take a good long look at yourself.

Unfortunately, I also do not have a say in whether my homeland finally separates from the Empire, as I am one of the entrepeneurial Scots that Mr Heffer doffs a chapeau to.. However, I have to say that it is precisely this condescending drivel that will turn an un-decided to a Yes voter, and Mr Heffer will have his wish....

I don't think I have read such a spiteful chauvinistic piece for quite some time. The authors while story revolves around money & everything else comes back to money. Maybe he should look to see what would be gained in keeping the union rather than bashing those north of the border.

There is nothing in this article that has not appeared many times in the tiringly repetitive forum posts that follow any mention of independence. And as such this piece is reduced to nothing more than another fact free anti Scottish tirade. And like those posts,sadly, adds absolutely nothing to the debate,

There are many hard working Scots who dont want independence and I am appalled at the tone of this atricle written by a person who has a clear dislike for us Scots and our nation !! National currency a Bawbee - how patronising and you wonder why Scots want to break away ................

Unfortunately this is the kind of inflammatory, biased and politically motivated language sneering at the Scots that could drive them to Independence. The motivation behind this claptrap is from a zone of intolerance and spite. It is likely that the Scots will realise themselves that their friendship with the English and Europe should continue, despite all the juxtoposing of Alex Salmond or Simon Heffer.

Top marks for trolling effort Mr Heffer, but your article is largely a fact free zone. If any reader wants to see how the Scottish Government finances stack up, the national accounts are freely available online in the GERS report. The summary: Scotland has 8.4% of UK population, receives 9.3% of UK spending, and pays 9.9% of UK taxes. So, the truth is that whilst Scotland receives higher spending per head than anywhere other than London, it contributes more than it receives.

Those of us outside London should ask the Scots if we can bring the border down to somewhere near Watford. I would definitely then vote for independence.

If he carries on with articles like the one linked and which attracts responses on those lines..he may very well get his wish! :roll: :Razz

Oddquine
19-Sep-13, 15:18
Linked with no comment bar to say I'd appreciate some facts in response from those who post to say it is as inaccurate as Simon Heffer's article is.

http://www.yesscotland.net/news/seven-corrections-simon-heffer (http://www.yesscotland.net/news/seven-corrections-simon-heffer)