PDA

View Full Version : Riverside House Care Home - new inspection report out

secretsquirrel
18-Sep-13, 17:39
bad news again in the last inspection by the Care Inspectorate of Riverside House Care Home. http://www.careinspectorate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7644&Itemid=489&bereNextPageId=QualityGrades_action.php&action=displayGrades&CaseNumber=CS2003010537

Reading the actual inpection report is depressing, especially reading the opening pages : - "There has been little improvement to the service since the inspection last year, however, some improvements had been made to training, care staff supervision and the security of the building. The provider needs to develop effective ways of monitoring and taking planned action to improve the care and support, environment, staffing and management arrangements. The provider needs to make improvements across all aspects of the service to improve the quality of experience for the residents living at Riverside."

I pity any resident who has to live in the "dementia unit on the 1st floor" reading this report.

Lets hope that NHS Highland involvement in Social care will result in the Provider and Manager at Riverside House Care Home getting a "kick in the a..." to get the place sorted out for our old and young people in Caithness?

will wait for the regulars to post a reply!!!

DunnetKnowe
18-Sep-13, 21:23
Reading the report itself, it seems the care home is being assessed against a bunch of meaningless beaurocratic bunkum and jobsworth paperwork. All the residents and relatives seem delighted with the place, as acknowledged at the beginning and end of the report.

Kevin Milkins
18-Sep-13, 22:17
I come into contact with both staff and residents of Riverside Care Home, the former all seem dedicated and hard working and the latter happy and contented with how they are being cared for.

I haven't read the report or do I intend to as my instincts are capable of telling me what I need to know about this establishment.

secretsquirrel
19-Sep-13, 00:07
Reading the report itself, it seems the care home is being assessed against a bunch of meaningless beaurocratic bunkum and jobsworth paperwork. All the residents and relatives seem delighted with the place, as acknowledged at the beginning and end of the report.

thats right it is being assessed on health and safety, quality of meals, choice for residents, safety of residents, cleanness, enviroment, staffing, quality of staffing and other "meaningless beaurocratic bunkum and jobsworth paperwork"???????????????????

Lets be honest you can get "delighted" residents and relatives if you ask the right people - especially when the Care Home manager distributes the questionaires!!!!!! Lets be honest if a relative or resident is not "delighted" then how will the resident be treated?????

What about the relative and resident who have there "clothes going missing frequently"????

I know lots of relatives who have family members in Riverside and the relatives have to do plenty for the resident ie wash their clothes, make sure they are being fed correctly, get up and put to bed.

secretsquirrel
19-Sep-13, 00:14
I come into contact with both staff and residents of Riverside Care Home, the former all seem dedicated and hard working and the latter happy and contented with how they are being cared for.

I haven't read the report or do I intend to as my instincts are capable of telling me what I need to know about this establishment.

I agree most of the staff are dedicated and hard working. Does not mean that they have been trained properly to do their jobs or there are sufficient numbers to provide a quality service, which is the owner and managers responsibility.

When you know no difference then you will be happy. I would be happy if I no longer had to shop for food and cook it, or wash clothes etc. The residents have no choice but to be "happy" as the staff are watching them. Of course they look happy in the sitting room they are all sleeping.

DunnetKnowe
19-Sep-13, 06:32
???????????????????..........!!!!!!........?????.. ......????.Is it National Over-excitable Punctuation Week this week ?

pat
19-Sep-13, 10:40
Secret Squirrel
You appear to have an unusual interest in seeking out information about care homes in Wick. If you have any problems with missing clothes - why not make an appointment with the home manager and put in a claim for the missing clothes, this is usual practice in nursing homes for items which have been misplaced.
How often have you misplaced something in your home, with as many people as in a care home are you surprised at items going missing - people wandering and picking up something putting it back in inappropriate places.
Why not search out the other areas where inspections take place and start reporting on them - hygiene inspections for food establishments, childminders inspections, licensed premises to ensure they are not selling short measures, etc
You certainly appear to need some widening of your view of life
When visiting care homes in Wick the residents, visitors and staff do not appear afraid to speak their minds, openly chatting about how they felt about the establishment, food, staff etc - and I am just another visitor, not an inspector. I have not had anyone speak badly about Riverside nursing Home.
If you have problems why do you not arrange a meeting with the owner Robert More, the Home Manager and yourself to discuss openly and freely and bring to an end this continual harping - this inspection reports has open access to any person who is interested or cares to check.
May you run a business employing so many people and caring for so many people without any hic-coughs.
With such negativity being posted publicly I am surprised Mr More has not chosen to close this home and put all the staff on the unemployment register - certainly would brighten up SECRET SQUIRRELS life.

cptdodger
19-Sep-13, 11:12
[QUOTE=secretsquirrel

I know lots of relatives who have family members in Riverside and the relatives have to do plenty for the resident ie wash their clothes, make sure they are being fed correctly, get up and put to bed.[/QUOTE]

Then if it is that bad, surely your relatives should take their family members home with them, and look after them there.

secretsquirrel
19-Sep-13, 13:36
Secret Squirrel
You appear to have an unusual interest in seeking out information about care homes in Wick. If you have any problems with missing clothes - why not make an appointment with the home manager and put in a claim for the missing clothes, this is usual practice in nursing homes for items which have been misplaced.
How often have you misplaced something in your home, with as many people as in a care home are you surprised at items going missing - people wandering and picking up something putting it back in inappropriate places.
Why not search out the other areas where inspections take place and start reporting on them - hygiene inspections for food establishments, childminders inspections, licensed premises to ensure they are not selling short measures, etc
You certainly appear to need some widening of your view of life
When visiting care homes in Wick the residents, visitors and staff do not appear afraid to speak their minds, openly chatting about how they felt about the establishment, food, staff etc - and I am just another visitor, not an inspector. I have not had anyone speak badly about Riverside nursing Home.
If you have problems why do you not arrange a meeting with the owner Robert More, the Home Manager and yourself to discuss openly and freely and bring to an end this continual harping - this inspection reports has open access to any person who is interested or cares to check.
May you run a business employing so many people and caring for so many people without any hic-coughs.
With such negativity being posted publicly I am surprised Mr More has not chosen to close this home and put all the staff on the unemployment register - certainly would brighten up SECRET SQUIRRELS life.

you say robert moore is the owner ? is he really or is it RF Moore Ltd a company???

At over £500 a week per resident I would not shut such a well paying buisness. I forgot RF Moore Ltd did try and sell the Care Home but no one wanted it after finding out ALL the problems with the home and building.

And by the way I have run several buisness each with a total number of employees vastly out numbering Riverside House Care Home, including some Care Homes for over 40 years before I retired.

secretsquirrel
19-Sep-13, 13:42
Then if it is that bad, surely your relatives should take their family members home with them, and look after them there.

I luckly do not have any relatives in that Care Home. Taking someone home however that is not an option for many . Many have had there family residents removed from that Care Home since the inspection in 2012.

secretsquirrel
19-Sep-13, 13:51
I am sure that others who have posted to this Thread remembered the front page headlines when Riverside House Care Home has a good report. Then surely people are entitled to be informed when Riverside House Care Home or any other Care Home have a bad report.

lets all look forward to the next Inspection report being a vast improvement than the past two for Riverside House Care Home not only for the staff but the residents as well. Then Caithness can be proud of this buisness.

pat
19-Sep-13, 15:14
Secret Squirrel
If you have such a vast ability why not offer your services as an advisor to help this home to pull its socks up and enable them to pass the Care Inspectorates inspection with flying colours.
I do not imagine any employer would turn down such expertise as you say you have, why not get in touch with the care home manager and offer to discuss things and perhaps help guide them to correcting any flaws and deal with any problems, then you may come out of your dray and spout as much vitriol as you like.
I believe you are only intent on stirring up the situation - you seem to have an agenda known only to yourself.

George Brims
19-Sep-13, 18:07
I do not know what secretsquirrel's secret agenda is. I do know this. My mother has lived in Riverside House close on a decade now. We have never had a single issue with the quality of her care. I have seen the inside of other care homes and Riverside is far and away better than is typical. Of course it's not perfect, and sure it's a depressing place to visit, with people you remember as vital and alive in their waning years, but the staff there take wonderful care of the residents.
As others have said, it's time for secretquirrel to either become part of the solution or stop whining about the problem.

Big Gaz
19-Sep-13, 20:04
it's time for secretquirrel to either become part of the solution or stop whining about the problem.

Exactly, this subject is becoming tedious, tiresome and totally BORING!. So Secret Squirrel, save us all a lot of boring text and get off your ass and go and do something about it yourself instead of whining on here. No matter how much whining and whingeing you do on the Org, nobody is going to do anything about anything you moan about so grow a pair and do it yourself!!!