PDA

View Full Version : Stop worrying . . . Cheer up . . . The World is going to be OK !

David Banks
16-Sep-13, 08:28
​Here is me, "retired and all" and catching up on some things that I missed earlier in life, such as a little philosophy, etc. I have an added source of hope, of optimism.

Last night, my granddaughter, who just turned 8 and is starting grade 3, said to me at her bedtime, "grandad, what is it like to be you?"

We've had Parmenides, Aristotle, Prof. Judith Grabiner, and now we have Christiana.

P.S.: J. V. Grabiner is still "with us"

macadamia
16-Sep-13, 08:38
A child thrives on curiosity, one of the most uplifting and enlightening of attributes. For some reason - maybe because we are always confusing "child-like" and "childish", we spend years of effort suppressing that curiosity, in an attempt to impose uniformity and conventionality at every turn.

Luckily, there have been many escapees - Einstein, Renoir, Picasso, Frank Sinatra, Beethoven, the Beatles, Leonardo da Vinci, are some examples from the famous end of things - meanwhile there are many of us ordinary folk who continue to embrace the child-like qualities which make life such a wonderful place to be......

ducati
16-Sep-13, 09:15
​Here is me, "retired and all" and catching up on some things that I missed earlier in life, such as a little philosophy, etc. I have an added source of hope, of optimism.

Last night, my granddaughter, who just turned 8 and is starting grade 3, said to me at her bedtime, "grandad, what is it like to be you?"

We've had Parmenides, Aristotle, Prof. Judith Grabiner, and now we have Christiana.

Blimey! I hope you didn't tell her? :eek:

Tilly Teckel
16-Sep-13, 09:24
Children's curiosity is a truly wonderful thing. I remember when my son was about 4, he asked me "Mum, where do the people come from?". I started in with "Well, when a mummy and daddy love each other very much...", when he interrupted me; "No, I mean, before there were any people, where did people come from?". This led to a discussion about religious beliefs versus theories of evolution, and ended with my little boy saying he needed to have a good long think about all this.

He's now 16 and a very independent thinker, intelligent and articulate, and my proudest achievement. Encourage childish curiosity!

David Banks
17-Sep-13, 14:25
Blimey! I hope you didn't tell her? :eek:

I left out the worst deviant parts about maniacal mass murder, and a penchant for alliteration!