PDA

View Full Version : Top Retailers Set Their Sights On Wick

Mr P Cannop
06-Feb-07, 16:11
Plans have been submitted for a major new retail park near Wick. Scapa Properties has earmarked a Greenfield site just to the north of where the new Tesco stands. There would be space for eight stores and the developer claims it’s already had interest from several national retailers.

Humerous Vegetable
06-Feb-07, 16:32
I don't really want to get into all this Wick/Thurso rivalry thing, but it does seem somewhat suspicious how easily Wick developments appear to get planning "encouragement" from local politicians and how difficult it seems to be for Thurso to get anything at all, except a bad reputation for vandalism.

hotrod4
06-Feb-07, 17:15
Maybe its just sour grapes but i'm all for development in Wick as opposed to Thurso as for years Wick Lagged behind Thurso, i.e Leisure Centre, Swimming Pool, Bowling, etc, etc. It is about time that Wick was on the Up as we have lost alot due to the downturn in Fishing loss of Caithness Glass etc.
I dont think it has anything to do with Planning comittees as if that was the case how come Thurso got Dounreay and Wick didnt LOL!!!!

Thurso is just suffering the same way Wick has done for years.
I dont see it as a rivalry thing us Wickers accepted for years that Thurso would always get the good things and we would just suffer. Its all down to the local councillors, MP's etc fighting Wicks corner for a change. Never mind, i am sure Thurso will get loads with the rundown of Dounreay in grants,etc.
best of luck to all of Caithness!

rfr10
06-Feb-07, 17:26
Plus, there would be no point in large companies coming to Thurso as that would be stupid seeing as though, you would have to travel to Thurso and Wick to get different shops so chuck them all in Wick and you won't have to. No has yet explained why these major retailers are coming to Wick...

teddybear1873
06-Feb-07, 22:35
Maybe Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe is coming here after all :)

Tubthumper
07-Feb-07, 14:32
Maybe not Planet Hollywood & HR Cafe: I've heard on pretty good authority that a couple of big players in the retail clothing market (like ones represented in Inverness) have been attracted to the new retail units planned for Castletown - East of Stanergill/South of Castlehill.
I've not heard of any CASE involvement with this development yet, bear in mind it's still in the planning stage. However bearing in mind that a substantial project to provide monster drainage/sewers/water has just finished down at the old Castlehill site running up to the new site, there must be something brewing for caithness - why else invest in yet another 150 houses + retail units & offices?

chocolatechip
07-Feb-07, 19:37
i hope they some coffee shops into the new retail park and a real nice and POSH BAKERY and an ICE RINK that would be so cool:D

Biker
07-Feb-07, 22:33
Maybe it would be nice if Wick and Thurso could actually work together to get these national companies to come North. Stupid rivalry between the two and the constant bikering does nothing to persuade the companies to invest.

Lets face it, both areas are suffering due to the loss of buisnesses to date and both will suffer from the loss of Dounreay in the future.

Frankly the bitching between the two small towns, and lets face it thats all you are is embarassing. Look towards the future, foget the past and get on with keeping Caithness on thge Map!

You need to use the distance betwween Thurso and Wick to promote healthy competition. Let Adsa get into Thurso and keep Tesco in Wich in check, and vice versa.

The two communities need to live together not drive the wedge between themselves otherwise all I see happening is both communities dying when the investment gets fed up and heads back South.

Cinders392
07-Feb-07, 23:41
Quote: Frankly the bitching between the two small towns, and lets face it thats all you are is embarassing. Look towards the future, foget the past and get on with keeping Caithness on thge Map!

The 'Bitching' has gone on from many years and isnt 'bitching' anymore. Its more a tradition!!! We all know that we cannot live in the past and the future is right now for Caithness. Forget the past!!!! Thats ridiculous! One should never forget their past, where they came from and how they got there. Keeping intouch with ones past is essential to know where one is going.

I am a dirdie Wicker who fell in love with a tea na bowlie. Where do we build our home and raise our children? As close to the middle of our county as possible, Watten!

Still to this very day I was joking with my in laws in Thurso that they aint good enough for the snow on their side (the dark side) and my partners father(who is in his 50's) said it only snows on the Wick side to dampen down the smell!

Rivalry between both towns, all villages, hamlets etc. is a small part of what makes us caithnessians!

As long as their is dirdie wickers, tea na bowlers, lybster neeps, ETC ETC in this county CAITHNESS will always be on the map!