PDA

View Full Version : Gin

andrew k
14-Sep-13, 21:48
Is it true that a new gin distillery will be built in Dunnet?

Rheghead
14-Sep-13, 22:10
Yes, the beverage is to be called Dune Nipper.

donnick
14-Sep-13, 22:19
They are just at the planning stage I believe, I hope they get it ..good luck to them

andrew k
14-Sep-13, 23:51
I was told they want to make vodka and whisky as well. What do you think of that?

Big Gaz
15-Sep-13, 00:22
I was told they want to make vodka and whisky as well. What do you think of that?

Well Whisky is more profitable whereas the vodka is just a slight variation on the gin distillery process. Either way, rumours abound in Dunnet have the locals saying that it is only a gin distillery in order to get it up and running then they will switch to whisky. Either way it's a new business to the area and i hope they succeed as do any other new ventures up in this neck of the woods

Dadie
15-Sep-13, 00:31
Gin and vodka same still time, same wait until profits etc..
Whisky takes longer and more risky before sales...
heck even try the niche markets for flavoured gin/vodka for profits before whisky to drive a business.
Good luck to them !

andrew k
15-Sep-13, 13:40
I've been pointed towards the recent article on the John O'Groat Journal website.

It's been suggested that they plan a whisky industry! That sounds a rather strong criticism.

Assuming that's not the case, I say good luck to them.

sids
15-Sep-13, 13:55
It's been suggested that they plan a whisky industry! That sounds a rather strong criticism.

What's wrong with ambition?

Big Gaz
15-Sep-13, 14:24
Yes, the beverage is to be called Dune Nipper.

nobody else has "twigged" yet.....

golach
15-Sep-13, 14:45

Vodka, Whisky and Gin can be made in the same still and is at the present time, the method is called a Coffey Still. The spirit produced come out as British Grain spirit, and the procedures after production decides what it becomes, Spirit stored in wooden vessels (Barrels ) for 3 years and a day is then allowed to be called Grain Whisky and is mixed with Malts to produce a blended whisky, a single grain whisky is Old Cameron Brig a very popular dram in fife.
Vodka and Gin can be used directly from the still after reduction to 40% by Vol and then the use of various additives, for Gin its usually an distilled essence of Juniper , and Vodka glycerin is usually added

donnick
16-Sep-13, 13:04
The plot they have for the gin distillery I personally think is not big enough for a whiskey distillery so I can not see why people think it will turn in to that and there is no room for extending the plot as there is a house to 1 side and a hotel to the other .I am all for new business coming to the area.

theone
16-Sep-13, 14:06

Assuming that's not the case, I say good luck to them.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the choice of spirit produced would make a difference to reasoning for or against the venture?

Rheghead
16-Sep-13, 15:15
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the choice of spirit produced would make a difference to reasoning for or against the venture?

It is not inkeeping with the vernacular beverage tradition and it will ruin mothers.

sids
16-Sep-13, 17:54
It is not inkeeping with the vernacular beverage tradition and it will ruin mothers.

And brandy makes you randy.

Big Gaz
16-Sep-13, 18:54

Distilling the base alcohol for Gin & Vodka is basically an odourless process whereas distilling whisky will produce quite a pungent aroma at times

sids
16-Sep-13, 20:43
Distilling the base alcohol for Gin & Vodka is basically an odourless process whereas distilling whisky will produce quite a pungent aroma at times

It's a nice smell.

Probably the nicest smell in Pulteney's fashionable Backside.

golach
16-Sep-13, 22:08

I have worked in most types of distilleries, they all give off an odour during the distilling process, after that its different

Kevin Milkins
16-Sep-13, 22:47
I am not much of a Gin drinker, however, I have sampled a few tonight. I have to say that the only discernible odour that I could detect was emanating from the steak slice I had or breakfast.

theone
16-Sep-13, 23:01

Thanks for that.

Could the planning consent not be granted with a caveat that no whisky distillation is permitted? If so, that problem would disappear.

secrets in symmetry
16-Sep-13, 23:23
I'd support their plan if they'd also brew beer, red wine, and a single malt. :cool:

orkneycadian
21-Sep-13, 13:26
Maybe they could try distilling rotten silage bree. It might at least smell better than the gin then!

secrets in symmetry
24-Sep-13, 01:01
Maybe they could try distilling rotten silage bree. It might at least smell better than the gin then!Sounds delicious! Add some cherry brandy, some cointreau and a few fruit juices, and the Shapinsay Sling will complete with anything from Raffles. :cool:

George Brims
26-Sep-13, 00:24
What happened to the proposal a while back to build a whisky distillery in Thurso?

secrets in symmetry
26-Sep-13, 00:49
What happened to the proposal a while back to build a whisky distillery in Thurso?It's been up and running for some months now.

Wolfburn (http://www.wolfburn.com/567-casks-of-wolfburn-spirit-laid-down-2/)

George Brims
26-Sep-13, 18:59
Thanks SiS. Will be interested to try some when it's matured. Wore my Old Pulteney shirt to an off-site work venue yesterday and got a high-five from a guy I was working with. Turns out it's very popular with Pakistani-Americans in California - well one of them anyway!

secrets in symmetry
27-Sep-13, 21:57
I don't recall ever meeting a Pakistani American, but according to the available evidence, they all have good taste in our national drink. :cool:

gaza
28-Sep-13, 20:59
You lot, Wot ya like, eh

andrew k
16-Jan-14, 23:18
I believe construction is going ahead. Very good.

andrew k
16-Jan-14, 23:52
Yes, the beverage is to be called Dune Nipper.I didn't notice this before. Berry good!

embow
17-Jan-14, 22:51
I'd say most folks have been very 'sloe' in getting that one.;)