PDA

View Full Version : is there any places in thurso your not aloude to ride horses/ponies at?

horselover
11-Sep-13, 13:23
hiya im wondering if there is any places in thurso your not aloude to ride horses/ponies at as im geting my first pony so i need to no thanks x

Dadie
11-Sep-13, 15:34
Wouldnt you be better off asking for horse riding routes/areas other horse riders use?

And sort out insurance!

orkneycadian
11-Sep-13, 20:51
I am mildly concerned that you are looking for places in Thurso to ride your pony. If its your first one, then getting the hang of it well out of any town would be advisable. Even when you do have the hang of it, taking it into a town is a big undertaking, although you would hardly think so when they have the Riding of the Marches over here every August and coat the streets of Kirkwall with horse muck to a height halfway up the doors.

I assume you have a field somewhere for this pony, and its not going to be living in the garden or under the stairs? Best to run it around the field for a while first, then, as Dadie suggests, speak to some other local owners and find places you can go to thats not in the town.

donnick
13-Sep-13, 00:38
your catty comments are unhelpful ,maybe nip down and ask the local riders at Thurso east they will be able to help you also maybe get in touch with the pony club or riding club to sit your riding and road safety if you haven't done it already.

balto
13-Sep-13, 14:17
some of your comments are a bit unfair to be honest, so what if she has a word wrong, does it really matter, she has her first pony which she is earning money to keep herself, she got of her backside and got a paper round , which for a 13 year old who now has to get up at 5.45 , so she can do her paper round and then go to school in Bettyhill is bloody good, so if no one can give her any proper advice then please leave her alone, she is excited about having a pony so please dont knock her ok

donnick
13-Sep-13, 14:23
well said ...................................Balto

Dadie
13-Sep-13, 15:50
At 13 it would be foolhardy to go out on the road in Thurso on your own, on a pony.
2 people minimum either an adult leading on lead rein or on another neddy on the outside flank.
Stick to the fields ...I assume you either have ground or its in livery.
Take it to pony club (by horsebox) and learn there.
Get public liability insurance before even thinking about using your pony on the road.

arat
13-Sep-13, 15:51
delighted for you horselover .looking forward to meeting your pony

balto
13-Sep-13, 16:40
she has been riding horses for a long time when and where ever she can, we have started with a pony so she can get used to caring for a horse before she moves on to a larger ones, she has had people with horse knowledge willing to help her, but for now he will be staying at thurso east mayby a trot up and down the rd but for just now that will be it, as for the pony club, i would need a bank loan to let her do this, she was there before but it was way to expensive and i could not keep up with it, hence why she really wanted her own pony.

13-Sep-13, 21:14
Thread Spoiling

Posts unrelated to original thread have been removed and thread locked.