PDA

View Full Version : Bird flu...

Angela
05-Feb-07, 14:44
Will the current outbreak of bird flu in Suffolk stop you eating turkey and chicken (if you did in the first place)?

munron
05-Feb-07, 15:02
Why would it make you stop eating poultry or poultry products? There is absolutely no risk of infection being passed on via the food chain!
Why start a food scare and ruin someones livelihood?

Angela
05-Feb-07, 15:04
Why would it make you stop eating poultry or poultry products? There is absolutely no risk of infection being passed on via the food chain!
Why start a food scare and ruin someones livelihood?

I didn't mean to start a food scare!
Just asking how people feel about it! :eek:

Saveman
05-Feb-07, 15:20
Bird flu is not passed on by eating chickens. It is passed by cuddling hens.

golach
05-Feb-07, 15:23
Got to agree with you there Savey, and the more people understand this the better, it will not stop me eating chicken

Mr P Cannop
05-Feb-07, 16:10
there is going to be a statement in the house of commons today @ 3.20pm ch504 or for these who have freeview should be on ch 70 or 80

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-07, 16:34
Well, thank heaven (can I say that?) for a thread where we won't mention Muslims!

D'ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [disgust]

Mr P Cannop
05-Feb-07, 16:35
sorry meant 3.30pm sky ch 504

lassieinfife
05-Feb-07, 17:00
Cant say that I will stop eating chicken or eggs.... be another case of the "Edwina Curries"?????????

Billy Boy
05-Feb-07, 17:01
there's know way bird flu will stop me eating chicken, infact it's chicken curry for my dinner tonight :Razz

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-07, 21:40
If there's a good side to this it'll be that chicken / turkey breasts will all be on special offer over the next few weeks, so fill your freezer........... :D

dragonfly
05-Feb-07, 21:44
If there's a good side to this it'll be that chicken / turkey breasts will all be on special offer over the next few weeks, so fill your freezer...........

that was my thought too J4bberw0ck, cheap chicken curries/casseroles/stir frys for the next few weeks :)

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-07, 21:59
Yayy! Is there anything finer? Now if they put German lager on special as well, I reckon that'll be paradise (maybe without the 72 virgins, though d'ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh http://www.teddies.be/Forum/images/smiles/eusa_doh.gif). Curries, stirfries and decent lager......... yum.....

spurtle
05-Feb-07, 22:24
If there's a good side to this it'll be that chicken / turkey breasts will all be on special offer over the next few weeks, so fill your freezer........... :D

Who wants to eat turkeys kept in the sort of factory environment we have seen on our screens lately anyway

Fluff
05-Feb-07, 22:26
well i didnt stop eating beef when bse was about.

Just adds to the flavour...!

Wellies
05-Feb-07, 23:41
Nor me Fluff and it wont stop me eating chicken or turkey. Nothing wrong with it. If you stopped eating anything that may have something wrong with it you would starve.

stratman
05-Feb-07, 23:49
How can anyone be so immoral as to know how these animals are kept and still eat them? It makes me ashamed to be human!!!!!

Woolie
06-Feb-07, 11:21
Won't stop me eating chicken or turkey its the media scaring poeple again .

Liz
06-Feb-07, 14:07
e ag
How can anyone be so immoral as to know how these animals are kept and still eat them? It makes me ashamed to be human!!!!!

Totally agree that the conditions most of these animals in are disgusting!
The poor turkeys at Bernard Matthews farm are better off culled than living the miserable lives they had to live.:(

Gleber2
06-Feb-07, 14:15

You can't post a vegetarians opinion on this forum. You'll get thrown to the lions!!!

lassieinfife
06-Feb-07, 14:29

If we didn't continue to eat chicken turkey etc the only place you would ever see them is in a zoo. We are designed as carnivores not herbivores anyway,so I for 1 will continue to eat them

henry20
06-Feb-07, 14:32
I love chicken, so it won't stop me. I do think it could be the end for Bernard Matthews though.

stratman
06-Feb-07, 14:38
If we didn't continue to eat chicken turkey etc the only place you would ever see them is in a zoo. We are designed as carnivores not herbivores anyway,so I for 1 will continue to eat them

We are designed to be omnivores, hunter gathers running naked through the wilderness an dieing in early adult hood. Surely evolving should lift us above this level of behaviour of factory farming.

Angela
06-Feb-07, 14:48
In reply to my own question...I like chicken, and bird flu won't put me off.

I eat free range when at all possible though. I know it's more expensive, but IMO tastier, and I just don't like the thought of eating something produced in the Bernard Matthews way.

Chicken used to be an expensive luxury - our Caithness farming relations sent us "fowls" through the post back in the 1960s!

I've seen chickens having their necks wrung and I've plucked them as well.

I'm not sentimental about them, they are "only chickens", but I'd still prefer for them to have a reasonable life before I eat them!

pat
06-Feb-07, 15:01
Agree with you Angela - will continue to eat chicken and fresh eggs (from neighbours hens - have to collect them myself as she is allergic to the hens!!)
It will certainly hit Bernard Matthews profits but I feel sympathy for his workers who will soon be laid off once the clean up has taken place - it will take him a long time to get back to the profits he was making (his name seems to be on all the processed meat products on supermarket shelves - only have 2 supermarkets here).

cuddlepop
06-Feb-07, 15:04
We will continue to eat chicken and free range eggs because eating the meat and eggs pose know threat to humans.
So carry on enjoying :D

iain
06-Feb-07, 19:37
I've had to stop kissing my hens goodnight and they aint happy

JimH
06-Feb-07, 20:59

No comment!

I've had to stop kissing my hens goodnight and they aint happy! Me too Iain.

stratman
06-Feb-07, 21:39
Go on JimH

Do you mean "no comment" you agree or "no comment" I'm a fool?

JimH
06-Feb-07, 21:49
Go on JimH

Do you mean "no comment" you agree or "no comment" I'm a fool?

As I do not know you, I would not be so rude as to call you a fool. However -
I found your view to be extreme as to be almost offensive - But you are entitled to your view - and this is what Caithness.org is all about. I cannot be shot for what I think - and that is the waffle way of saying "no comment"

cuddlepop
06-Feb-07, 21:54
Read my signature.
It applys to us all.;)
Anyways we're talking about fowl not fools ;)

_Ju_
06-Feb-07, 21:59
I am omnivorous and have given my opinion on this forum before on that matter, but I have to agree with Stratman. Batery hens, chickens and turkeys leed very sad lives (I only buy free range chicken and eggs). They are mere protein production units, honed to maximum production at minimum cost. And to bring animal welfare into the "raison D'etre" of this thread: it is the overpopulated dank spaces and factory practices that allowed the bird flu to attack these turkey's like wildfire and with a deadly virulence.

stratman
06-Feb-07, 22:13
As I do not know you, I would not be so rude as to call you a fool. However -
I found your view to be extreme as to be almost offensive - But you are entitled to your view - and this is what Caithness.org is all about. I cannot be shot for what I think - and that is the waffle way of saying "no comment"

Thanks for the answer JimH. Feel free to call me what you will as long as it is not at the expense of debate. I am just a country boy that has spent my life watching sentient creatures being treated appalingly for profit. If it is extreme/offensive to speak out against injustice then extreme/offensive I am.
Would I not be more offensive if I thought something was cruel and said nothing?

j4bberw0ck
07-Feb-07, 01:56
I am just a country boy that has spent my life watching sentient creatures being treated appalingly for profit.

.... and completely misunderstanding the nature of profit whilst spending your life studying creatures..........

Profit is what's left after selling to willing customers at a price they're prepared to pay. So when Tesco or the Co-Op or Somerfield or Lidl put turkey or chicken on special offer, they still need a profit margin (let's momentarily ignore childishly simple stuff like loss-leaders), so the price they pay has to go down.

So the real villain isn't the the supermarket so much as the customer who looks at cheap chicken and fills his or her freezer - just like me, and Dragonfly, and others. Long live capitalism :lol:

stratman
07-Feb-07, 10:45
.... and completely misunderstanding the nature of profit whilst spending your life studying creatures..........

Profit is what's left after selling to willing customers at a price they're prepared to pay. So when Tesco or the Co-Op or Somerfield or Lidl put turkey or chicken on special offer, they still need a profit margin (let's momentarily ignore childishly simple stuff like loss-leaders), so the price they pay has to go down.

So the real villain isn't the the supermarket so much as the customer who looks at cheap chicken and fills his or her freezer - just like me, and Dragonfly, and others. Long live capitalism :lol:

So what didn't I understand?

Cinders392
07-Feb-07, 21:43
We are designed to be omnivores, hunter gathers running naked through the wilderness an dieing in early adult hood. Surely evolving should lift us above this level of behaviour of factory farming.

Here Here Stratman! Completely agree!
They say eating meat did give us the big brains we have evolved today but I am vegetarian now after I saw a program on how they killed chickens.

However I beleive fats in meat are essential for growth and development so my son eats plenty meat. When he is old enough to understand its his desicion that will not be forced on him

Geo
07-Feb-07, 22:04

My brother ate some turkey ham last week and now he has the sniffles. Need I say more?

;)

connieb19
07-Feb-07, 22:15
My brother ate some turkey ham last week and now he has the sniffles. Need I say more?

;)
I always wonder how it's possible to get ham from a turkey? :confused:

golach
07-Feb-07, 22:17
If the truth were told, I have cuddled a few old burds in my time :lol:

Geo
07-Feb-07, 22:29
LOL. Sly old dog! ;)

Ricco
08-Feb-07, 12:44
My Dad always told me "Never kiss the chicks, son. You'll just catch germs". Now I know what he meant.

Seriously - won't stop me.;)

Stumurf
08-Feb-07, 17:50
being almost vegetarian, i dont think i could give up my occasional chicken treats. (and i have to admit i also succomb to bacon scarcely too.)

Its scary what intensive rearing can create... all in the name of profit.... such a shame.

As someone mentioned it wont change much... just create a brief reduction in price to settle the consumers and then back to business as usual...