PDA

View Full Version : Is caithness.org damaging my eyes?

~~Tides~~
12-Mar-05, 20:22
A couple of weeks ago I did something to the monitor's buttons by accident and it seemed to go slightly out of focus. Now I am gettin very sore eyes and headaches everytime I am on the computor.

Could this be damaging my I sight? (as I may have to give up posting on c.org! :( )
Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks aufully (in advance)

EDDIE
12-Mar-05, 22:42
Well tide i would say you have three options
1 check your monitor settings
2 get a screen filter (makes a huge difference in reducing glare)
3 go and see an optician

katarina
13-Mar-05, 09:21
yeah, yopur eyes must be pretty bad if you think you're living on stroma!!!!!

Bobinovich
13-Mar-05, 09:22
I would certainly check the monitor settings - there is usually a Recall option which takes it back to the manufacturers settings and you might find this solves the problem.

Another possibilitiy I've come across on a lot of PC's is that the display adapter's refresh rate is set too low - this can be very sore on the eyes. It's worth checking the display properties and set this to a minimum of 75Hz.

If all else fails then take a leaf from another .org'er and just buy a new one!!!

~~Tides~~
13-Mar-05, 20:51
Its was the recall thing that sent it wonky. I checked and its going at 85Hz. Could this be to low?

Bobinovich
13-Mar-05, 21:58
No 85Hz is quite high but, as long as your monitor can handle it, perfectly acceptable. You could reduce it to see if that is the problem but I doubt it.

If it was Recall which made it wonky then you're just going to have to play with the various settings to try and get it back to it's orignal state. For the life of me I can't think of any monitor settings which could make a display look blurred but on modern monitors there are a LOT of different settings...

Zael
14-Mar-05, 10:12
85hz could be quite low if you're using a low resolution for your monitor, eg mine goes up to 1600x1200+ and only drops to 85hz about 1280x1024 but it can do 144hz at 640x480 and its a cheapo monitor. Try playing about with your display settings (under advanced/monitor i think) to see how far you can get it to go, the higher the refresh, the crisper the image and the less headaches you will get.

katarina
17-Mar-05, 01:01
My eyes are pretty gritty these days too. Funny, it just seems to have happened since I've been posting a lot on Caithness .org. Or it could be the computer. I didn't think we needed filter screens any more.

Zael
17-Mar-05, 11:02
AFAIK filter screens are purely to cut down reflections on the screen.

The refresh rate is very important:

http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/employmentarticles/41_relief_computer_headaches.html