PDA

View Full Version : Unusual stone formation

highlander
05-Feb-07, 02:20
Can anyone tell me if they know how this stone would have been formed, i find the shape and formation is very unusual
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/saturn086.jpg

highlander
05-Feb-07, 02:22
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/saturn085.jpg

Kenn
06-Feb-07, 23:36
Wondered if it was a lump of compressed clay that has been eroded by frost,water and maybe acid ?
Might even be a large piece of slag although the colour does not look right.
Doesn't look like slate or any form of hard rock that I know.
Could it possibly be a piece of fossiled wood, it's difficult to tell as don't know the size.

brandy
17-Feb-07, 10:48
it does look more like fossilised wood to me but im n0 expert

sassylass
17-Feb-07, 18:35
Reminds me of lava rock. Is it very hard and porous?

Lavenderblue2
17-Feb-07, 21:28
Reminds me of lava rock. Is it very hard and porous?

I think that you are nearer sassylass - to me it looks like the rock has been subjected to intense heat.

Is this in your garden Highlander?

LB

golach
17-Feb-07, 23:21
A bit off a meteorite maybe?

highlander
17-Feb-07, 23:23
Yes Lavenderblue it is in my garden, it is about the size of a football, i did think it might have been lava rock, but maybe i could find out from a geologist.

golach
17-Feb-07, 23:37
Highlander its your own bit of Heaven, a Falling Star?

Moira
17-Feb-07, 23:41
Yes Lavenderblue it is in my garden, it is about the size of a football, i did think it might have been lava rock, but maybe i could find out from a geologist.

Highlander, try pm'ing Rockchick - she maybe doesn't visit the photography section here.

johno
18-Feb-07, 17:59
yea it looks like the stuff on menorca, lava style rock

danc1ngwitch
18-Feb-07, 18:34
I must say it is a very magical looking rock indeed.
The very root of civilization.
Life deep in the past, was it in a field that this rock was found?
Maybe this rock holds alot of past info.
I love it xxx

Rheghead
02-Mar-07, 16:09
I don't know if this is the thread for this photo but I rather like the graceful lines in the swirls, a bit like two latin dancers feet:o Certainly, the figure on the right looks more masculine than the one on the left...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Squigglesinthesand.jpg

rockchick
22-Apr-07, 23:45
Hard to say for certain from a photograph, but it is certainly weathered. My first instinct was slag. It doesn't look like lava - the colour is too light, but this could be affected by the weathering. It almost looks like limestone that's been affected by acid rain, but it is too deformed for that.

The best way to tell for certain is to knock a chunk or two off, to get a fresh surface. Also, is it heavy for its size? does it scratch a penknife? glass? Does it react to acid (bubbles would form on the surface if acid was dropped on limestone)

From the photograph only, I would have to say it's slag.

highlander
22-Apr-07, 23:57
Thanks Rockchick, the stone is very very heavy, we just scratched the stone with a penknife the penknife marked the stone, hubby said he feels that there is an amalgamation of stones, and thinks its been underwater for a long time, do you know where this stone could be taken to find out more about it?