PDA

View Full Version : scam computer phonecalls!

Dadie
02-Sep-13, 13:35
I know they have been doing the rounds for ages now, but, the one we had today was very persistent and wouldnt even take hanging up as a cue I didnt want to deal with him.
You know the usual spiel about switching on the puter and them wanting to take remote access to it...
I took a note of the phone no used.
|Anyone worth contacting about these?

Kodiak
02-Sep-13, 15:09
Phone the Police and report what happened to them, Thurso Police Station Number - 01847 893222

Birons
02-Sep-13, 20:13
We have had a bit more than usual today so we thought we would have ourselves a bit of fun. We managed to keep him on the line for about twenty minutes before he realised we were winding him up and he slammed the phone down.

Bobinovich
02-Sep-13, 20:23
I've had a lot of calls about this lately and my standard reply now is, if I recall correctly, someone's reply from a previous thread here on the matter... have a whistle handy and shriek it down the phone at them. While I understand these folk are only doing trying to do a job, they know it's a scam, so deserve what they get.

Beat Bug
02-Sep-13, 23:30
Another option is to say you don't have a computer!

macadamia
02-Sep-13, 23:48
It seems to be the start of the "autumn term" for the various phone monkies across the land. 4 random cold-calls today. The worst of it was that they were all taped, so I didn't get my usual opportunity to "engage" with yet another insensitive twit who dares to interrupt my day. Yes, I know they're only doing a job and yes, all work is honourable, but as I always am polite enough to point out, I am not swearing at THEM but at the firm who thinks this is all a spiffing idea.

*Martin*
03-Sep-13, 10:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

Serenity
03-Sep-13, 12:37
I've had a lot of calls about this lately and my standard reply now is, if I recall correctly, someone's reply from a previous thread here on the matter... have a whistle handy and shriek it down the phone at them. While I understand these folk are only doing trying to do a job, they know it's a scam, so deserve what they get.

They deserve possible hearing damage because they are just trying to earn a living? Educate people not to fall for them and go after the people who are setting them up (and yes take the pee out of them if you want to). Let's not physically assault the human on the end of the line though! Eye for an eye never helped anyone and you are not the law to decide what someone "deserves".

Edit: Before someone responds with "it's not possible to reproduce the volumes that will damage the hearing" or something similar, is it worth risking it? Also you're obviously doing it for a reason so if it isn't going to be detrimental to the person on the other line, why do it. If it is, there are other options.

golach
03-Sep-13, 15:14
They deserve possible hearing damage because they are just trying to earn a living? .

But what they are doing is illegal, why not annoy them? They are annoying us.

Serenity
03-Sep-13, 15:17
But what they are doing is illegal, why not annoy them? They are annoying us.

Because what Bobo suggests is more than a mere annoyance. And yes what they are doing is illegal but there are other ways to deal. But it doesn't surprise me that you espouse this as an option, as you do seem to be more from the eye for an eye, than turn the other cheek school.

Let's totally forget it's another human on the other line.

golach
03-Sep-13, 15:27
Because what Bobo suggests is more than a mere annoyance. And yes what they are doing is illegal but there are other ways to deal. But it doesn't surprise me that you espouse this as an option, as you do seem to be more from the eye for an eye, than turn the other cheek school.

Let's totally forget it's another human on the other line.

Yes, you have me tagged correctly. I have no time for scammers such as these, and the misery they can and do cause.

macadamia
03-Sep-13, 16:30
You're at home, and you're waiting on a very important call from your doctor. It could be a matter of life and death. Whatever the case, it is bound to change your life for ever. You've worked yourself into an agony of jangling nerves, tears of fright, of panic, of sheer terror as you play out the possible scenarios like a series of bad "B" movies. The ticking of the clock is loud, and dominating the room. Every "tick" is a hammer blow, ramping up the speed of your heart.

The phone rings. "Have you been mis-sold PPI? asks a badly trained voice.

I think you are permitted a small outburst.

That's if the phone stays in the room.....

cptdodger
03-Sep-13, 16:53
Or, you could get a phone that has caller display and an answerphone, and just do'nt answer numbers that come up that you do not recognise. In my experience, a lot of these calls show up as "international" and "unavailable". If the call is important they will leave a message.

Ballymore
03-Sep-13, 20:13
We get at least 5 calls a week from so called Windows or Microsoft service claiming there is a malicious software downloaded on the computer. I sometimes just put the receiver down, sometimes ask for their supervisor (one called me a f---ing b---h when I became a bit too argumentative) and then sometimes I engage in conversation. Today I asked Andrew (with a noticeable Indian accent) where he was phoning from - he answered UK. So I asked where in the UK - his reply - UK, California!

It is though sad that with all this information and warnings in newspapers and forums like this that people still get fooled into letting strangers take remote control of their computer and possibly steal vital information and money. A friend (whom I thought would not fall for a thing like this) lost £60 - it could have been more.

Alrock
03-Sep-13, 21:40
How easy would it be to reverse scam them by using a second PC set up so as to infect their machine as soon as a remote connection is established?

David Banks
04-Sep-13, 07:08
We have had a bit more than usual today so we thought we would have ourselves a bit of fun. We managed to keep him on the line for about twenty minutes before he realised we were winding him up and he slammed the phone down.

I like this one.
It reminds me of a call I had years ago from someone selling religion.
I, too, had a little "fun."

squidge
04-Sep-13, 07:27
Or, you could get a phone that has caller display and an answerphone, and just do'nt answer numbers that come up that you do not recognise. In my experience, a lot of these calls show up as "international" and "unavailable". If the call is important they will leave a message.

Thats ok if you dont have friends or elderly relatives in another country. I cant ignore international or unavailable calls cos it might be my mum or my sister.

I used to give the phone to my toddler but even they are bored with that game these days. Didnt somebody issue a claim for their time in the small claims court recently?

*Martin*
04-Sep-13, 08:56
They deserve possible hearing damage because they are just trying to earn a living?

Earn a living? What are you smoking?

If you saw a pickpocket at work in the street would you let it go because he's "just trying to earn a living"? I'd certainly blow a whistle in his lug.

golach
04-Sep-13, 09:15
Thats ok if you dont have friends or elderly relatives in another country. I cant ignore international or unavailable calls cos it might be my mum or my sister.
I thought I would have the same problem as I have relatives abroad. My solution is let the answer machine kick in, callers have all been notified to leave me a message, or if I am quick enough I can pick up the handset and take the message.
But I also have my phone programmed with my favourite numbers, I can then see who is calling.

outsidethebox
04-Sep-13, 09:24

I used to give the phone to my toddler but even they are bored with that game these days. Didnt somebody issue a claim for their time in the small claims court recently?

I have no financial connection with the company, but have used one of there units for years and it is fantastic.

You can block exactly what calls you wish, and accept what you want.

You can even give a code to people that you want to get through.

I never get an unwanted call and it makes life so much more pleasant. It is without doubt the best £100 I ever spent!

https://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx

billmoseley
04-Sep-13, 19:18
You're at home, and you're waiting on a very important call from your doctor. It could be a matter of life and death. Whatever the case, it is bound to change your life for ever. You've worked yourself into an agony of jangling nerves, tears of fright, of panic, of sheer terror as you play out the possible scenarios like a series of bad "B" movies. The ticking of the clock is loud, and dominating the room. Every "tick" is a hammer blow, ramping up the speed of your heart.

The phone rings. "Have you been mis-sold PPI? asks a badly trained voice.

I think you are permitted a small outburst.

That's if the phone stays in the room..... Have you ever thought of becoming a Writer your reply had me on the edge of my seat. Did the doctor ever ring? lololol

macadamia
04-Sep-13, 19:24
The doctor finally rang. I picked up the receiver, and the sound of his voice exploded my nerves in a rictus of stiffening limbs as I strained to hear what dire news he had to impart.

"I have to tell you that it's much worse than we thought. Have you ever thought about taking out PPI on your medical insurance?"..............

I am working on a book called "Me And Thirteen Tanks" It tells the tale of an unarmed Cold War warrior, and his tremendous victory in stopping 21 Soviet Armoured divisions, within 24 hours drive to the city, from taking West Berlin between 1945-1994.

secrets in symmetry
07-Sep-13, 14:53
Today I asked Andrew (with a noticeable Indian accent) where he was phoning fromI wonder if Andrew is the brother of John, whose records show I took out PPI on a loan in the last 10 years, and who also had a noticeable Indian accent. He would been more believable if he'd said he was called Ghandi!