PDA

View Full Version : PC Problem - No Volume Control

sophietotnot
12-Mar-05, 14:40
I am running Win 98 SE and until recently had sound. For some odd reason, when I use CD Player and try to open the volume control - it doesn't appear.

I have also tried to access the volume control through Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment. Again volume control does not appear - so I have no sound. :(

Again suggestions how to fix this please?

Jalon
12-Mar-05, 16:53
There is a speaker icon on the taskbar.Iif you right click on this, you should be able to open the volume cotrol which you can adjust with the slide contols.Also ensure the mute buttons aren't ticked.Hope this helps.

norscot
12-Mar-05, 17:44
There may not be a speaker icon on the Task Bar as its display is optional. Go to the Control Panel and select Sounds and Audio Devices and check out the various properties which include speaker setup and volume control.

EDDIE
12-Mar-05, 19:45
Hi dare i say it but by any chance you have put your sound on mute by mistake i did that once the mute should be in windows medea player. Failing what ive said and the above post the only other alternative i could think of is to reinstall the sound driver.

Bobinovich
12-Mar-05, 19:55
If memory serves me right the volume control applet was an tick-box option during Win98 installation (within the Entertainment options I think). If you've lost all control over the volume then the relevant file may be corrupted. You should be able to reinstall it through Windows Setup portion of the Add/Remove Programs section in the Control Panel.

If driver reinstallation doesn't work then maybe this is worht a try.

sophietotnot
15-Mar-05, 23:46
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have the 'speaker' in the system tray therefore I have not muted it by mistake. (Wish I had life would be so much easier.)

I don't have tick box options in audio properties...

Has anbody got any other ideas...or has anybody got good URLs for driver sites so I can try reinstalling the sound card driver; my first attempts to find the sound card driver on the Net hasn't proved successful.

Zael
16-Mar-05, 10:28
what kind of sound card is it?

brand & model please.

Also check here to see if there is a problem:

Control Panel/System/Device Manager Tab

You will see an X next to the sound card if windows recognises a problem with the driver, also you will be able to get the model etc from there.

Also, try looking at your system.ini file to see if has become corrupted, this can also cause the soundcard to become inoperable. (start/run/type "sysedit", check system.ini file for corruption, wierd looking characters)

18-Mar-05, 21:15
don't have the 'speaker' in the system tray therefore I have not muted it by mistake. (Wish I had life would be so much easier.)

I don't have tick box options in audio properties...

The audio card isnt installed ???
Find the driver CD or floppy for the audio card or the motherboard & re-install teh audio devices.