PDA

View Full Version : Condensation.

cuddlepop
04-Feb-07, 19:25
We are having alot of trouble with condensation in the bathroom.The extractor comes on automatically when the light is pulled and the towel rail is on all the time just now.
Lifted the old bathroom carpet today and the floor behind cistrine was sodden.Nothing appears to be leaking.
Help:eek:

Liz
04-Feb-07, 19:53
Sorry to hear you are having such a problem with condensation.:(

We had bad condensation and mould in our house and the only thing that helped was a home ventilation unit from www.nuaire.co.uk

It is not cheap by any means but you can pay for it in interest free instalments and it has a five year guarantee.
It also has a booster switch so if your house is really cold you can have a nice boost of warm air or, equally, in the summer if your house is too hot you can have a boost of cold air.

Condensation is not good for your sinusitis.

If this is too expensive then it would be best to open your windows as much as you can, especially when you are running the bath and cooking etc. Also don't dry clothes on radiators.

Hope this helps.

cuddlepop
04-Feb-07, 21:04
Thanks Liz.If the windows are dripping with condensation in the morning thats not normal is it?the house doesn't seem damp.Total heating on and windows open through the day.
Its a Sweedish style council house,dont know if being of a wooden construction makes it more susebtable.:eek:
will phone the council in the morning

Stumurf
04-Feb-07, 21:37
a cheaper but not quite as effective way is to purchase some moisture traps... most DIY stores have them. They aren't huge and you should be able to hide a couple behind the loo or pedestal. After a while you just need to empty and then replace the contents with a refill sachet.

I am currently experiencing something very simalar but i have the idea of installing some secondary glazing as i need the insulation too.

Liz
04-Feb-07, 23:32
Thanks Liz.If the windows are dripping with condensation in the morning thats not normal is it?the house doesn't seem damp.Total heating on and windows open through the day.
Its a Sweedish style council house,dont know if being of a wooden construction makes it more susebtable.:eek:
will phone the council in the morning

No that's definitely not right but the problem is knowing what's causing it.
Could any of the vents be blocked?
Condensation will always be worse in the winter as it is the hot air hitting cold surfaces which cause it as far as I am aware so, obviously, all the surfaces will be colder now.
I'm not sure whether wooden construction is worse for condensation but would be worth phoning the council.

I was having a look for dehumidifiers on Ebay and came across a product (Item No 12007984223) which looks good and it is only about £3 plus the same in postage but you would need one for each affected room.

Good luck!

Tristan
05-Feb-07, 09:20
Since the cisterns aren't lined part of the problem is the heat in the bathroom causing condensation on the cistern.
With central heating being the norm now manufacturers should take a page from North American construction and start lining their cisterns with foam insulation. Stops the condensation problems.
A short therm solution might be to put a drip tray behind your loo to catch the condensation form the cistern.

cuddlepop
05-Feb-07, 14:20
Thanks everyone.
Was looking at my neighbours windows this morning and the coal fired ones have no steamy windows or the other house like ours thats total heating .Something must be wrong with our vents.
Probably get arrested now:lol:

stratman
06-Feb-07, 00:13
A dehumidifier is a good idea. Expensive at first but gets cheaper as you keep on top of things. Of course it is alway best to find the root cause but it has been so humid of late. Not the greenest cure!

Rheghead
06-Feb-07, 04:40
Get someone to knit a 'cistern' jersey, it will help stop condensation as the cold cistern surface won't then be in contact with the moist warm air of the bathroom.

Murdina Bug
06-Feb-07, 14:13
We also had a very wet cistern which dripped constantly due to very cold water inside condensating in a warm room. I needed a drip tray underneath it! Hubby took the cistern off and lined the inside by glueing thin polystyrene foam to it to insulate it and no problems since! (As Tristan suggested above!)

You might want to get rid of the carpet as well as that will just suck up any dampness in the bathroom adding to condensation problems.

Mother Bear
07-Feb-07, 19:20
That sounds a good cheap, and effective trick, putting insulating foam in the cistern. I don't suppose you can remember what sort of glue your hubby used? Knowing my luck, I shan't be able to get the p'ene to stick!

Murdina Bug
09-Feb-07, 23:10
Hi Mother Bear,

He says he used Evostick glue and I seem to remember that the polystyrene was very thin stuff, probably only 2-3mm thick, the kind of thing that you may get wrapped around items in packing. Not sure where we got it, I think we recycled it from the packing around an electical appliance. If you try this you will need to be prepared to be without the use of your loo for a while as you need to really allow time for the glue to dry out completely before refilling the cistern.

Good luck

Mother Bear
11-Feb-07, 23:33
Thanks for that!

ade
12-Feb-07, 20:40
get a good dehumidifier not cheap but every thing we do produces moisture
and that needs to be taken out you only need 1 good one that will pull mioisture in from every room,or buy a wet suit