PDA

View Full Version : Buying light bulbs

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 21:15
I tried to buy some light bulbs today. Whilst perusing, I came across a small one that was rated at 4.18kWh/1000h.

What's the point in expressing power like that?

Maxx
31-Aug-13, 21:21
The "1000h" is the expected lifetime of the bulb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 21:30
That sounds eminently believable....

There was no other information on power consumption on the packaging, so the information would likely be useless to most people.

Since 4.18W is a small number, I assume it was power consumption - as opposed to the equivalent light output of an old-fashioned light bulb.

Maxx
31-Aug-13, 21:35
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/pictures/0164-light-bulb-chart-full-size.png

From: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0164-shopping-light-bulbs

shazzap
31-Aug-13, 21:40
So I can't call anyone. 1 Watt again. :(. 1 Lumens, doesn't have the same ring to it.

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 21:44
Thanks Maxx. That's good news! It's about time modern light bulbs were labelled by useful information. :cool:

Did the packaging of today's light bulb have that information on it? I don't think so, but I wouldn't put much money on that claim....

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 21:51
It's an American website, so I doubt such information was on the packaging.

Happily, similar things are happening here (http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/information/lumens_watts). :cool:

mi16
31-Aug-13, 22:10
It's a 4.18watt lamp.

Birons
31-Aug-13, 22:30
Or take the easy option and pop into Birons and pick up a 60W incandescent light bulb. www.birons.co.uk (http://www.birons.co.uk)

mi16
31-Aug-13, 22:43
Surely that should read "power hungry option"

Dadie
31-Aug-13, 22:51
What watt= what lumens.
And which ones work with a dimmer switch.
And which ones are bright on first flicking the switch and which ones take a while to get bright....not handy for the bathroom for those late night visits.
Which ones give a more natural light ...
These days im a little lost in choosing lightbulbs while before it was easier ..just choose the right wattage and the right fitting (bayonet or screw) and you were sorted!
LED or halogen or Fluorescent... and what shape you want your lightbulb you can have the longer stick like bulbs (found out they dangle out the bottom of some of our lightshades)or ones that look like a bulb as well as other shapes like spirals ...or mini bulbs kinda like the lights on a christmas tree.
I have had to resort to taking the old bulb with me to get a replacement....and then the dillema of where the old one goes in the recycling centre starts as its a bit pointless taking the old bulb home!

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 23:32
It's a 4.18watt lamp.Give that man a coconut lol! :cool:

I assume the 4.18W is power consumption, because equivalence to an old-fashioned 4.18W bulb would make little difference to any room...

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 23:34
What watt= what lumens.
And which ones work with a dimmer switch.
And which ones are bright on first flicking the switch and which ones take a while to get bright....not handy for the bathroom for those late night visits.
Which ones give a more natural light ...
These days im a little lost in choosing lightbulbs while before it was easier ..just choose the right wattage and the right fitting (bayonet or screw) and you were sorted!
LED or halogen or Fluorescent... and what shape you want your lightbulb you can have the longer stick like bulbs (found out they dangle out the bottom of some of our lightshades)or ones that look like a bulb as well as other shapes like spirals ...or mini bulbs kinda like the lights on a christmas tree.
I have had to resort to taking the old bulb with me to get a replacement....and then the dillema of where the old one goes in the recycling centre starts as its a bit pointless taking the old bulb home!The new labelling in lumens will cure problems with how bright a bulb we want, but today's shapes and fittings are so much more diverse than we had with old-fashioned light bulbs. Should we be celebrating this diversity lol?

Dadie
01-Sep-13, 00:07
We should be celebrating the diverse multitude of lighting available but it would be best if there was an idiots guide in the lightbulb aisle ..ie this is not suitable in dimmers etc ..but this one is ...
This one heats up fast and lights up fast so suitable for where lighting is needed instantly..(no peeing in the dark therefore no excuses for missing the loo) excetra
These ones need a bit of time to heat up and only suitable for areas where the light is on all the time and isnt flicked on and off....such as the livingroom light...that is on constantly...but intermittent lights such as the loo only on as needed the light needs to go on instantly as needed and off straight away afterwards................makes choosing the lightbulb more difficult...as well as the cleaning of the loo due to bad lighting and missing the target!

orkneycadian
01-Sep-13, 00:15
Sounds like you need these Dadie,

orkneycadian
01-Sep-13, 00:24
Another thought Dadie, have you tried sitting down when going to the loo? ;)

Dadie
01-Sep-13, 00:28
already have the "stars" etc...but the glow fades fast!
Then you get the lights switched on and the glare ...and the mum i cant see dialogue...
Then the lecture as long as you can see the loo you dont need it lit up like the blackpool illuminations you only need to see where to sit etc ...nag nag nag..as well as the well placed glow in the dark star for pee aiming for the males in the family....just under the water line....
As for glowing loo roll the hamster might not be happy with glowing in the dark bedding!

orkneycadian
01-Sep-13, 00:31
As for glowing loo roll the hamster might not be happy with glowing in the dark bedding!

Different - We tend to flush it over here, but each to their own I guess!

Big Gaz
01-Sep-13, 08:21

Surely it wouldn't be too bright...after all, most of the sheet would be obscured after use [lol]