PDA

View Full Version : John O' Groats "new" Hotel - Open Day

Iffy
31-Aug-13, 19:43
I just happened to be in the area of John O' Groats earlier today, so thought I'd drop by and have a look at the newly refurbished hotel.

TBH, I really wish I hadn't wasted my time !

This is MY opinion of same; agree or disagree, as you will :

1. There doesn't seem to be a "proper main entrance" as such . . . just have to follow a wee shingle path around about with extremely vague signs, to a very blasé and utterly uninspiring "front vestibule".

2. My initial thoughts on entering into this "carbuncle" was "Have I just, completely unawares, been ensconced into a clinical laboratory??"

3. Every single "En-suite" room was basically exactly the same as the one previous !

4. With regards to "décor" and furnishings within each, the word "contemporary" doesn't even cover it ! Bland, bland, bland, and utterly boring with no obvious guest comforts (oh - apart from MASSIVE TV screens !!) whatsoever !!

5. If I (God forbid) were ever admitted to an asylum; then the "new" John O' Groats" Hotel, would be exactly as how I would perceive the same to look like !!

They would have to pay me (and quite a substantial amount at that !!) to spend even one night there !!! These are my own personal comments about said building. If anyone wishes to make comments to the contrary, please feel free to do so.

meyman
31-Aug-13, 21:01
Haven't been in the new part but I have been in the cabins. They are utterly characterless inside and remind me of a posh clinic or assylum. Think madness would result if i had to spend anytime in one of them. Also thought the rooms were a wee bit small for a "luxury" cabin - i've stayed in larger non-luxury cabins.

ducati
31-Aug-13, 21:10
Well, a matter of taste I suppose but the poshest new hotels are very contemporary. My sisters are staying there for a few days in November so I'll let you know what they think. They are very hard to please. :lol:

secrets in symmetry
01-Sep-13, 14:17
Most of the comments on Trip Advisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186540-d3387426-Reviews-Natural_Retreats_John_O_Groats-John_O_Groats_Caithness_and_Sutherland_Scottish_Hi ghlan.html) are very positive - people seem to like the decor, although that's probably in the lodges.

The photos of the new bits on their website look ok to me.

Southern-Gal
02-Sep-13, 05:52
Decor in lodges is the same as the inn. Very similar as they used the same interior designers.

Stardoll
05-Sep-13, 20:47
I think the rooms were neutral and modern looking which is to my taste, they will be easy to keep clean and had everything you would need for a self catering holiday. Yes the rooms are similar but they weren't all exactly the same and I would rather stay somewhere like that than in a place with dodgy unhygienic bedspreads so many places have now.

secrets in symmetry
07-Sep-13, 13:31
I tend towards your point of view Stardoll.

That said, this opinion comes from someone who likes staying in brand new Premier Inns. :cool: