PDA

View Full Version : Help with my pet Turkey!

Jonna
04-Feb-07, 14:57
Please help! My husband and I have recently fallen in love with an adult pet turkey and have just brought him home, but need some help with him. As he's not been outside for a while, for various reasons, his beak has over grown and we fear he may not be able to feed properly. I have read horror stories about beak trimming, but this is absolutely NOT what we want to do. We simply want to take off the over grown part so that he may eat normally. But how do we do this safely? Please help!

gary.b
04-Feb-07, 15:30
You can cope the beak yourself, but its a lot easier and less stressful for you and the bird to take it to Sinclair Manson at the vets in Thurso, it'll take a couple of minutes and he'll charge about £8.

teenybash
05-Feb-07, 01:17
A turkey makes a lovely pet and once you get his beak done he will be just fine.
I had a turkey stag for years.....he was a funny thing who fell in love with my FEET! If I kicked my shoes off in the garden he would start making his gobbly sounds, fluff out his feathers, drop his wings and try to stand on my feet to do naughty things. I don't know if this is a male 'turkey thing' or if it was due to him being Irish. If your unusual pet is anything like mine was, he will give you years of joy as they are very affectionate and love a cuddle.

crofter
10-Feb-07, 01:36
Please help! My husband and I have recently fallen in love with an adult pet turkey and have just brought him home, but need some help with him. As he's not been outside for a while, for various reasons, his beak has over grown and we fear he may not be able to feed properly. I have read horror stories about beak trimming, but this is absolutely NOT what we want to do. We simply want to take off the over grown part so that he may eat normally. But how do we do this safely? Please help!
I use a nail clippers for my hens if they get overgrown beaks