PDA

View Full Version : Surfing in Thurso?

State_Side_Yank
12-Mar-05, 05:14
hi, i live on the east coast of the united states, and my mother was born and raised in kirkwall, orkney. she recently sent me this link via email with pictures of the Thurso surfing competion. How long has this been going on, and how can i find out more? I'm dying to visit my mothers homeland again, and being able to surf there (because that's what i love) would be incredible. Are there any more surf locations or shops in Scotland?
-David

gleeber
12-Mar-05, 09:37
Hi David
Thurso is a mecca for surfers. They come from all over the world. Sometimes these guys are riding 15 foot waves.
There are a couple of surf related shops in Thurso as well as another guy who teaches beginners.
The best time is winter but their enthusiasm and wet suits seems to keep the cold at bay.
First time I remember anyone surfing here was in 1975 when a young surfer from Liverpool arrived in Thurso. Hes still here. :D
I jhust googled "surfing in Thurso" and 5500 hits came up.

State_Side_Yank
14-Mar-05, 02:10
wow, ok cool. thanks

cullbucket
14-Mar-05, 18:29
I started surfing in Thurso 20 yrs ago and am only a fair weather surfer now, usually try to go on holiday somewhere I can get wet. Living near nottingham the stinky east coast of england is not really worth it....
Anyway, if thinking about coming, have a look at this website....

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/UK/North_Scotland/thurso_east/

Thurso East is the main (world Class) break but there are others right along the coast, with nothing to beat paddling out at torrisdale near bettyhill, must be one of the most beautiful beaches on earth... and you will have it all to yourself, with just the beautiful scenery....

Travelling surfers are welcome as long as they are cool with the locals and don't start hassling....
DO NOT come during summer June/July/Aug as the surf will be about 1' if you're lucky. My favourite time is October when you can still get relatively warm weather, the water has been heated all summer and the surf can sometimes crank...

State_Side_Yank
19-Mar-05, 03:19
hey thanks. i will definitly take your council into consideration. I will probably be in the Orkney Isles around Nov. or Dec. but I'll have my wet suit if the water temp is too low. maybe when i get up there, and you're around, we might be able to go for a session together or something. You can show me the ropes to surfing UK style.

bigjjuk
19-Mar-05, 10:50
i would say definately take your wetsuit, the water gets very cold in winter, i snorkell alot up here and have to wear head mask as i get brain ache from the cold water lol.

but the water is crystal clear and i seen the waves in thurso and they are huge.

SO good luck