PDA

View Full Version : Red, Red Roses

canuck
04-Feb-07, 04:51
With Valentine's Day quickly approaching perhaps some of our members need to be encouraged to think along the lines of sending flowers. Roses, red roses, are the language of romance for cupid and his helpers. But how many roses is right? The poll asks the question and the results should be of some help in choosing for your sweetheart. So, to make sure you have all the information you need to be prepared for February 14, I've set the poll to close on the thirteenth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Small_Red_Rose.JPG/180px-Small_Red_Rose.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Small_Red_Rose.JPG)

Sporran
04-Feb-07, 05:09
I say 12 is right - one for each month of the year. I admit that 24 would be twice as nice, but 12 would suffice. (Sounds like I'm writing a poem, lol! :lol: ) They really jack up the price of red roses here for Valentine's Day, so two dozen could end up costing a small fortune.

Metalattakk
04-Feb-07, 05:37
Buy them on the 15th. They'll be a third of the price and will last just as long, and smell just as nice. Why be emotionally blackmailed into spending a fortune?

If spending money = romanticism, then we're all .......

hobbes1962
04-Feb-07, 06:59
Buy them on the 15th. They'll be a third of the price and will last just as long, and smell just as nice. Why be emotionally blackmailed into spending a fortune?

If spending money = romanticism, then we're all .......

I'm married to a philistine:roll:

young_fishin_neep
04-Feb-07, 07:36
i agree valintines day is a bit of a gimic for people to make money but i have to say when i read a text saying

i will give you 12 roses 11 real and 1 fake and i will love you till the last one dies

i found it quite sweet lol

kaz xx

Lolabelle
04-Feb-07, 07:48
We never remember it is even valentines day, or our anniversery most of the time. But I think 12 red roses would be nice. Looks nice in the vase. Actually, 1,2,3... any would be nice. I love roses.

golach
04-Feb-07, 11:14
Sorry Canuck, but IMHO you left out one option in your poll i.e. None......... to me St Valentines Day is a commercial ploy by the card manufacturers and Flower Growers to get the public to spend massive amounts of money.
Mrs G needs no roses or cards from me to know how much affection I have for her, I tell her everyday:)

Ricco
04-Feb-07, 11:27
I would say three - not because I'm tight. One rose from the heart - to say express your love; one from your mind - to say how much you think of them; one from the lips - to say how much you want to be with them.

Wellies
04-Feb-07, 11:31
When I received 11 red roses I got all confused. Until I read the card which said I was the 12th (awe). That was for the 1st Valentines we had together. Ever since I have gotten 12. Think he is trying to tell me something. lol

DarkAngel
04-Feb-07, 11:59
Aww...wellies thats sweet.

I got 12 red roses the 1st Valentines we were together aswell..Now he seems to have forgotten that it exists now..Mite try and squeeze a romantic meal out of him tho..Maybe lol!!:lol:

EDDIE
04-Feb-07, 12:11
I give one rose for every year we have being going out the only problem have now its starting to get expensive but i dont mind

changilass
04-Feb-07, 12:21
I get 12 roses, but white ones not red, hubby knows where I would put red roses - have to respect the yorkshire half of my heritage:lol:

Bobinovich
04-Feb-07, 12:24
A single rose to me expresses just as much love as a dozen or two. Bobsgirl (surprisingly) agrees!

As our wedding anniversary falls on the same day we actually have a double celebration - it's the 5th anniversary this year so wood is the order of the day! I've searched around and hope Bobsgirl likes what she's getting - not that I'm gonna broadcase it here yet LOL!

We both ahve a meal to look forward to too :D

veekay
04-Feb-07, 12:44
Who needs roses; breakfast in bed would be nice!

henry20
04-Feb-07, 12:48
One would do me!! I'd grudge the money for 12 on valentines day - although 12 any other time of the year would be nice :D

Naefearjustbeer
04-Feb-07, 12:52
No red roses in my house either, What a waste of bloomin money especially as the price gets hiked especially for that date. If you need to waste hard earned money on flower that will die to prove your love then more fool you I say. I would far rather spend more money on something that will be remebered for longer than the roses would take to wilt and die.

gleeber
04-Feb-07, 12:53
I'm one of those cynical sods whose attention is always drawn to the opposite extreme of the gushyness of St. Valentines day.
Al Capone, I am told, was a hopeless romantic when it came to the hypnotic charms of the fairer sex. He was also a murdering mobster whose affection for the ultimate love day was immortalised in lead bullets rather than red roses.
I've never bought a red rose in my life but I am in no doubt if the love bug were to strike around that time it would be safer to recieve a loogfull of lead than to give a bunch of red roses.
Anyone else for bullets?

sjj278
04-Feb-07, 12:54
I dont get any roses, and i'm lucky if i get a card!!!! although my birthday is so near to valentines day that i dont mind too much, this year i'm getting a car for my birthday!! so i think i can live without the roses!!!!!

Billy Boy
04-Feb-07, 12:59
I say none..... I married her an if she doesna know i love her by now she never will :D
At the very least she can make me ma dinner for a change:Razz

mums angels
04-Feb-07, 13:50
My hubby always bought me one rose for every Valentines day we'd been together but last year i told him enough was enough when 9 roses cost him around £38.

Lovley thought but waste of money when theres alot more that the money could go towards. This year hubbys away working and I'm happy with the card he's left in the drawer for me to open on the day. :)

Moira
04-Feb-07, 15:01
A single rose would be fine for me - this would be one more than I'm expecting to receive :D

Piglet
04-Feb-07, 16:08
Yep 1 red rose as it is the thought that counts.

Not that i will be expecting any :roll:

danc1ngwitch
04-Feb-07, 16:40
it seems like these day's it's all a compitition. @ work places things turn up an if u don't get nuttin ppl ask why?. I am happy regardless. happy val day all x

Glenys Hirst
04-Feb-07, 17:39
I would be so appreciative to get 1 red rose on 14 Feb...though my fav flowers are carnations.

sassylass
04-Feb-07, 18:19
A single rose says it all to me. Three means Past, Present, and Future to hubby, but then he gives me a dozen...go figure!

canuck
04-Feb-07, 18:55
I'm one of those cynical sods whose attention is always drawn to the opposite extreme of the gushyness of St. Valentines day.
Al Capone, I am told, was a hopeless romantic when it came to the hypnotic charms of the fairer sex. He was also a murdering mobster whose affection for the ultimate love day was immortalised in lead bullets rather than red roses.
I've never bought a red rose in my life but I am in no doubt if the love bug were to strike around that time it would be safer to recieve a loogfull of lead than to give a bunch of red roses.
Anyone else for bullets?

I am not a Guns N Roses fan but in deference to the Caithness music community and all that the musical orgers have taught me, I shall broaden the scope of the poll. gleeber, you can vote using the word "bullets" instead of roses in the poll question. But please, please don't try sending them to anyone.

obiron
04-Feb-07, 19:01
a single one is nice but roses aren't my favourite flower would be happier with a bunch of carnations.

cuddlepop
04-Feb-07, 19:20
Three,one for every year we've been together.
Would prefer irises as roses dont seem to last:(
Decided just to be extra nice to each other rather than spending more money :D

Angela
04-Feb-07, 19:25
One's just right as a token of love. :)

Roses aren't my favourite flowers though, and really I like to be given a plant that will continue to grow and flourish (hopefully). :confused

pat
04-Feb-07, 20:41
Would prefer an orchid or something equally as long lasting, to be renewed as it faded - cost would be same in a year as 12 roses at valentines.

Sporran
04-Feb-07, 21:41
I say 12 is right - one for each month of the year. I admit that 24 would be twice as nice, but 12 would suffice. (Sounds like I'm writing a poem, lol! :lol: ) They really jack up the price of red roses here for Valentine's Day, so two dozen could end up costing a small fortune.

No red roses in my house either, What a waste of bloomin money especially as the price gets hiked especially for that date. If you need to waste hard earned money on flower that will die to prove your love then more fool you I say. I would far rather spend more money on something that will be remebered for longer than the roses would take to wilt and die.

Actually, although I love roses, I would rather receive them at another time, when they're not at exorbitant prices, to be perfectly honest. Last Valentine's Day, my hubby bought me a mixed bouquet of flowers, and a beautiful crystal vase to put them in. The vase will be around a lot longer than the flowers were!

htwood
05-Feb-07, 03:49
The most romantic thing would be not to blindly follow the masses, that roses are best for everyone, but to remember what flower is your loved one's absolute favorite and give them anytime, whenever your heart is touched, not just Feb 14. -H

Hibeechick
05-Feb-07, 15:54
Sorry Canuck, but IMHO you left out one option in your poll i.e. None......... to me St Valentines Day is a commercial ploy by the card manufacturers and florists to get the public to spend massive amounts of money.
Mrs G needs no roses or cards from me to know how much affection I have for her, I tell her everyday:)

Would just like to point something out in your post Golach. I can't speak on behalf of the card manufacturers. However, I can speak on behalf of the florists in saying that we don't make as much money as you think.

On the build up to all holidays and days such as Valentines, the flower growers put their prices up because they are in high demand. Due to this we also have to put our prices up. I can assure you though, that the actual florist's are not making as much profit as a lot of people would like to believe - unforunately :)

If we were to put our prices up with accordance to what the actual growers did ... we wouldn't be selling any roses due to the price we would have to charge.

golach
05-Feb-07, 16:14
Would just like to point something out in your post Golach. I can't speak on behalf of the card manufacturers. However, I can speak on behalf of the florists in saying that we don't make as much money as you think.

On the build up to all holidays and days such as Valentines, the flower growers put their prices up because they are in high demand. Due to this we also have to put our prices up. I can assure you though, that the actual florist's are not making as much profit as a lot of people would like to believe - unforunately

If we were to put our prices up with accordance to what the actual growers did ... we wouldn't be selling any roses due to the price we would have to charge.
Hibbeechick did I say Florists....I meant Flower Growers :~(
I will amend my origional post.
See you behind the Goals an Hampden, to make amends maybe:lol:

Hibeechick
05-Feb-07, 16:22
Hibbeechick did I say Florists....I meant Flower Growers :~(
I will amend my origional post.
See you behind the Goals an Hampden, to make amends maybe:lol:

Thats ok Golach.
As the song says... I'll be there!

Hibeechick
05-Feb-07, 16:28
Just thought I would give everyone a few tips to help look after their roses. As many of you have pointed out, they are in fact not the longest lasting flower. However you should still be able to get a couple of weeks out of them!

* When you cut the stems of your roses, cut them under water. That way there are not going to be any air locks which are a major factor in roses.

* Keep them in a cool place. Roses do not like warm temperatures.

* If the head of your rose droops, wrap it tightly in something like newspaper, cut the stem under the water and leave the rose in the water for a couple of hours. You will be amazed and the strength thats back in the rose.

* When you cut your stems, cut them at an angle. This is so that when the stem is on the bottom of the vase, it is still able to take up water.

Hope this helps anyone who happens to get roses on Valentines.

squidge
05-Feb-07, 16:43
Roses - hmm you can keep them!!!! Id prefer a bunch of spring flowers any time although im always hopeful for something slightly more sparkly than that - sighhhhhhhhhh - maybe next year!

ett23
05-Feb-07, 18:21
We don't celebrate valentine's day but do commemorate our wedding anniversary. It's a lot more meaningful than a pagan festival used nowadays to make a lot of money out of couples wishing to show their love for one another. But by far the best way to show your love for your partner is to say it to them - any time of year, not on one specific day in the year!! Try it - you might just surprise them!!![lol]

Sporran
05-Feb-07, 18:31
Thanks for the tips, Hibeechick, I appreciate that. :)

Squidge, you never know your luck - perhaps you will get a sparkly surprise this year. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, anyway! :D

Sandra_B
05-Feb-07, 19:48
Personally I'd be happy with a bunch of wild flowers.

And a breathtaking piece of jewellry!!

Sandra_B
05-Feb-07, 20:09
I deserve it, we'll have been married 22 years this Valentines Day.

Sporran
05-Feb-07, 20:15
Personally I'd be happy with a bunch of wild flowers.

And a breathtaking piece of jewellry!!

Sounds good to me, Sandra! :lol:

I deserve it, we'll have been married 22 years this Valentines Day.

Congratulations! I didn't realise your anniversary was on Valentine's Day! Now that's what I call romantic!!! :D

Sandra_B
05-Feb-07, 21:18
I thought it was romantic too, till I realised no-one wants to babysit on Valentines Day and if you do manage to find someone, every restaurant is packed.

I keep telling him I won't make the same mistake next time I get married :lol:

sweetpea
06-Feb-07, 18:53
I got 12 last year and don't get me wrong it was nice when they turned up at work but they are a rip of really so told him not to get them again. But they do look good. I pressed one as a keepsake.

bobsgirl
11-Feb-07, 00:06
As bobinovich said earlier, I agree with the 1 rose.
Flowers really dont last that well in my house, so last year when the continental market was up he bought me a dozen of the wooden roses that were being sold. At least I know they will never die!!!
I do believe that the prices go up to a ridiculous price around valentines.

We dont really look at it as Valentines Day anymore, we look at it as Wedding Anniversary and instead of roses, we tend to go with traditional Anniversary gifts, eg 1 Year - Paper, 2nd Year - Cotton etc.
I feel more thought is put into the gift this way, instead of last minute ordering roses!!

squidge
11-Feb-07, 16:56
Sparkle Sparkle - guess what i got folks.......................:D

Moira
11-Feb-07, 17:51
If it's the real thing Squidge and not a bunch of flowers sprayed with glitter, then Congratulations! Nice to see romance is alive & well :D

Big Jean
11-Feb-07, 18:49
It would be a single rose for me but not a red one . A beautiful pink would be my choice along with a nice soppy, sentimental card.

I love roses, they are also my birthday flower, for June .

canuck
11-Feb-07, 19:58

squidge, what wonderful news. I am delighted and thrilled for you and ... what is it you call him? ... the Bruce.

Hundreds of roses for you on the 14th!

Cinders392
11-Feb-07, 20:28
I completely agree. Flowers are lovely, especially if they last. However they are a waste of money at big holidays or occasions of the year. I bought my mum flowers for her wedding anniversary (28th anniversary on 23rd December). They were ordered off the interflora website and the picture of the flowers was nothing like the thing she received. It looked like the people had gone and bought a 2.99 bunch out of tescos and charged me £35 quid! Maybe they didnt have much flowers left so close to Xmas but they still charged me a bomb!
My father had never bought my mother flowers as he feels its a waste of money buying carcass of flowers. Would much rather get her a plant that would be chewed to death by the cat!

Sporran
11-Feb-07, 21:17
Roses - hmm you can keep them!!!! Id prefer a bunch of spring flowers any time although im always hopeful for something slightly more sparkly than that - sighhhhhhhhhh - maybe next year!

Squidge, you never know your luck - perhaps you will get a sparkly surprise this year. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, anyway!

Yaaay!!! Congratulations, Squidge!!! That is fantastic news! Now I can finally uncross my fingers, lol! (phew!)

My very best wishes to you and The Bruce!!! :cool:

sassylass
12-Feb-07, 07:22
Congratulations Squidge and The Bruce, that's wonderful news.

canuck
13-Feb-07, 04:46
http://www.classact.ca/RubberStamps/Flowers/Roses/Thumbnails/FL102L_L_Large-Rose.gif (http://www.classact.ca/RubberStamps/Flowers/Roses/FL102L_L_LargeRose.jpg)

Thank you to everyone who voted in the poll and joined in some of the Valentine's Day fun. A single rose was chosen by an overwhelming majority of orgers to represent the sentiment of romance. Ricco and cuddlepop I truly appreciated your reasons for prefering three. Sporran you deserve several dozen for all of your support on this thread. And squidge you are absolutely right, nothing tops a sparkly.

May Burns bring some romance to all of our hearts with his words:

O, my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my Luve's like a melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair as thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will love thess till, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run:

And fare thee well, my only luve!
And fare thee weel, a while!
And I will come again, my luve,
Tho' it ware ten thousand mile.

Sporran
13-Feb-07, 05:15
And thank YOU Canuck for initiating this poll and thread! I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts immensely - it was interesting and fun! :)

Many thanks too for posting one of my favourite poems by Robert Burns. I learned it as a song when I was in primary school in Thurso, and have enjoyed it ever since! :cool: