PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

igglepiggle
28-Aug-13, 12:14
Looking to get a tablets for my kids, aged 7 and 11, but not sure which ones to go for - Samsung, HP, Nexus etc?
Not looking for apple as they have their ipods, also what size of GB would be suggested for my oldest?

Thanks

mi16
28-Aug-13, 13:34
Looking to get a tablets for my kids, aged 7 and 11, but not sure which ones to go for - Samsung, HP, Nexus etc?
Not looking for apple as they have their ipods, also what size of GB would be suggested for my oldest?

Thanks

Perhaps apple would be a better bet as the Ipad will communicate with the ipod.
Asus do a nice windows 8 based unit.

Kodiak
28-Aug-13, 15:02
Kindle Fire HD Tablet £159.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083PWAWU/ref=amb_link_173148087_6?ie=UTF8&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1SAD00CGDPSKFE9G7J5B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=416515867&pf_rd_i=468294

cherokee
28-Aug-13, 16:28
My Mum used to make gorgeous tablet . . . never tasted the likes of it anywhere else !

An apple is a very healthy fruit for youngsters igglepiggle, so maybe you should be looking for some !!:eek:

Mum also told me that a good fire is made from kindlers !! :eek:

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself !! :lol: )

mi16
28-Aug-13, 17:00
My Mum used to make gorgeous tablet . . . never tasted the likes of it anywhere else !An apple is a very healthy fruit for youngsters igglepiggle, so maybe you should be looking for some !!:eek:Mum also told me that a good fire is made from kindlers !! :eek:(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself !! :lol: )Think we have an itroll

RagnarRocks
28-Aug-13, 17:22
Well if other tablets are anything like the iPad then I fear they aren't really robust enough to let kids play with. The screens break quite easily so I'd recommend a good case if you do get one. As for MB and GBs always buy as much as you can afford it soon runs out especially with a reasonable music collection. My daughter requested one for her birthday but the functionality is ok for browsing games etc but a lap top I feel is better gives more scope for things like homework and serious stuff. But as a toy very nice indeeedy :0)

cherokee
28-Aug-13, 17:34
Think we have an itroll

I couldn't "Troll" if my life depended on it mi16 !!

Was just trying to make a laugh/joke about words nowadays !! Sorry if you found my post "Troll-Some" or upsetting to you !

squidge
28-Aug-13, 20:59
As for the other end of the spectrum - a lady I know who is 78 has just completed an IT course. She struggled with her mouse control but would love to get online. She only wants to send emails and maybe download books and mooch about the internet - would she be best with an iPad or would a cheaper one like the Kindle Fire be ok for her. Money isnt an issue ease of use and set up is.

mi16
29-Aug-13, 06:49
I couldn't "Troll" if my life depended on it mi16 !! Was just trying to make a laugh/joke about words nowadays !! Sorry if you found my post "Troll-Some" or upsetting to you ! It was just a bit of ibanter

Alice in Blunderland
29-Aug-13, 07:20
I purchased kindle fires for the kids last year and we have had o problems with them. I invested in good quality cases for them which give them good protection should the kids become a little rough however that's never been a problem they really appreciate the value of the kindles.

Tangerine-Dream
29-Aug-13, 20:12

Thanks

Ritalin are quite popular tablets with kids these days ;)

Big Gaz
29-Aug-13, 20:22
Ritalin are quite popular tablets with kids these days ;)

Ah but not all kids have the same infliction as you with your A-D-H-Tangerine :lol:

gerry4
29-Aug-13, 21:52
I use the Nexus 7 and have found it great. Google have just released a updated version. The nexus will always have the latest version of the operating system unlike the Kindle Fire.

In my view best tablet around and not so restrictive as the Ipad is + cheaper. have a read of this review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/new-nexus-7-1169802/review

zagor
29-Aug-13, 23:08
I use the nexus 7, which I find it to be great I hardly use my laptop anymore as its very easy to pick up and use. I have the 32gb model mainly for watching movies on its hd screen as it breaks up the boredom when travelling by train or bus back down south

secrets in symmetry
30-Aug-13, 00:12
Asus do a nice windows 8 based unit.That's the first time I've seen the words "nice" and "Windows 8" used in the same sentence!

igglepiggle
01-Sep-13, 13:01
Thanks everyone

secrets in symmetry
01-Sep-13, 13:21
Thanks everyoneHave you decided what to buy?

Sorry for not providing any comparative advice, but I've only ever used iPads.

Tristan
01-Sep-13, 17:30
Do not get the kindle fire. It is a limited Android device so its functionality is limited compared to other Android tablets.
If you want a controlled interface get an iPad.
If you want a more open system (which means more potential for problems but a lot more fun) get an Android tablet.

George Brims
05-Sep-13, 20:08
That's the first time I've seen the words "nice" and "Windows 8" used in the same sentence!
I was surprised a few weeks ago to hear our IT guys sing the praises of Win 8. He had been very skeptical about it until he spent some time with it. We had both had a good laugh at the attached image a while ago, but now he is a convert. 20877

Bobinovich
05-Sep-13, 22:37
I was surprised a few weeks ago to hear our IT guys sing the praises of Win 8. He had been very skeptical about it until he spent some time with it. We had both had a good laugh at the attached image a while ago, but now he is a convert. 20877

Pretty much sums it up for me - my Win 8 laptop I've 'retrofitted' with free software which makes it run/feel like Windows 7, and I've done the same for numerous customers at their request too.

The alternate version issue also cropped up with another package I use called CorelDraw - for many years the even numbered versions tended to be buggy & weak, where the odd ones were robust and very useable :)...

secrets in symmetry
07-Sep-13, 13:19
I was surprised a few weeks ago to hear our IT guys sing the praises of Win 8. He had been very skeptical about it until he spent some time with it. We had both had a good laugh at the attached image a while ago, but now he is a convert. 20877I'm going by what I've read, what other people have told me, and my two-minute play with Windows 8 in a shop. I couldn't figure out how to do very much, and I eventually got stuck on a blank desktop that I couldn't escape from. Not much, I know....

I'm told that the Windows 8.1 interface has been redesigned to be more like Windows 7 lol!

secrets in symmetry
07-Sep-13, 13:25
Pretty much sums it up for me - my Win 8 laptop I've 'retrofitted' with free software which makes it run/feel like Windows 7, and I've done the same for numerous customers at their request too.

The alternate version issue also cropped up with another package I use called CorelDraw - for many years the even numbered versions tended to be buggy & weak, where the odd ones were robust and very useable :)...The alternate version history of Windows is a bit of a cheat because it misses out the parallel developments of NT and 2000. I don't remember there being much difference between 95 and 98....

George Brims
09-Sep-13, 20:22
The alternate version history of Windows is a bit of a cheat because it misses out the parallel developments of NT and 2000. I don't remember there being much difference between 95 and 98....
95 and 98 didn't look that different but 98 was just so much more stable. We've still got old machines running it for things like simple data logging. Actually we have a delivered system in the field that's still running a version of non-Windows DOS! The PC-AT generation computer it runs on died of old age about 5 years ago, but the clients were able to build a "new" one of old parts, and even cloned it so they have a hot spare on the shelf.

secrets in symmetry
09-Sep-13, 23:20
95 and 98 didn't look that different but 98 was just so much more stable. We've still got old machines running it for things like simple data logging. Actually we have a delivered system in the field that's still running a version of non-Windows DOS! The PC-AT generation computer it runs on died of old age about 5 years ago, but the clients were able to build a "new" one of old parts, and even cloned it so they have a hot spare on the shelf.My first laptop was unstable with 98, so I "downgraded" it to 95 and I never looked back - which probably explains why I wrote what I did. P
I must remember that personal experience isn't always typical....

Is the "system in the field" on a satellite? :cool:

scorrie
10-Sep-13, 14:14
Looking to get a tablets for my kids, aged 7 and 11, but not sure which ones to go for
Thanks

I tried Ritalin for my kids and they seemed to do the trick ;)

jacko
12-Sep-13, 18:27
I couldn't "Troll" if my life depended on it mi16 !!

Was just trying to make a laugh/joke about words nowadays !! Sorry if you found my post "Troll-Some" or upsetting to you !
anyway, i thought it funny.