PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Support Group

Fran
04-Feb-07, 03:11
Do any of you know if there is a Cancer Support group in Caithness where patients can chat with other patients for support? I have not heard of one.
If there isn't one there is much need for it.

Fran
13-Feb-07, 01:20
There seems to be no Cancer support group in Caithness where patients and their families can chat to others for information and support.Someone close to me was diagnosed with advanced terminal cancer, just two weeks ago and we havent seen anyone yet apart from one visit to the cancer clinic at Raigmore and another visit to raigmore for chemotherapy. We have not had any contact locally which worries me.
i know Katarina is interested in a cancer support group too. If any of you would like to see one started in Caithness, please get in touch with me so that we can get the ball rolling. There are so many people here with cancer and I feel there is desperate need for a group to give them all support.
Maggies centre next to Raigmore is a wonderful meeting place where cancer patients can pop in for a chat and a cup of coffee or some leaflets or to chat to a councillor. It is a very welcoming and relaxing place and a beautiful building. It would be wonderful if we could get something like it in Caithness.
I would so welcome your comments on this.

highlander
13-Feb-07, 01:48
Just thought i would post this interesting article about maggie's center
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1520&id=1644932006

Moira
13-Feb-07, 01:48
I've heard great things of the Macmillan Nurses here in Caithness- are they not the main point of contact for all the other support services available? I would have thought that all GP practices here would direct families in your situation to them. If I'm talking out of turn, I apologise but if you've been left to flounder on your own here, with a family member being diagnosed with cancer, then this really worries me too. The "Maggies Centre" in Inverness is great , but it is a long way away.

Try giving the main GP practice in Wick (Riverview Practice) a ring on 01955 602355. They can direct you to the services which are available. I'm astounded your family has been offered no backup help. Keep up posted. Good luck :)

highlander
13-Feb-07, 02:13
When my mum had pancreatitis cancer, the support she got was marie curie nurses, and then crossroads who were both fantastic. When she was diagnosed she went into a autopilot to get things done, so much so i was changing curtains with her at 1am in the morning, knowing from experience my mum would not have used a support group, because when she was first told about she had cancer, she needed in her own mind to sort things out, and latterly she was too ill to be in around people, luckly i come from a large family who were all able to rally around, but often thought of poor people who were not so fortunate to have that support, good luck i hope u have success.

Highland Lass
13-Feb-07, 08:49
Hi i found the macmillian nurses the best support i had when my late husband was ill with cancer,they are there when you needed them,i also think that group were you can go and talk to someone when you need to is good.

candyfloss
13-Feb-07, 11:49
I think a cancer support group would be a great idea up here, talking to other people who are going though the same treatments and feelings would help a lot of people, and maybe they would'nt feel so alone either.

Torvaig
13-Feb-07, 11:58
Fran, for your immediate support do ask your GP or at reception for contact with the MacMillan nurses; they are wonderful.
So sorry to hear about your friend; I hope you get the support that you both need.

katarina
13-Feb-07, 14:41
We very much need a cancer support group. Yes all those other things are great, but only a fellow sufferer knows what another is going through. The group should include survivors, as we all need hope.
Here's power to your elbow, Fran, let me know what I can do to help. I did try to get things started a couple of years ago, but the situation I was in at the time, coupled with no apparent interest, killed the enthusiasm.

Fran
13-Feb-07, 16:45
today the macmillan nurse and the district nurse came which was great, but they said there is no support group in Caithness so i am determined to get one on the go, which of course will help carers as well as patients.

Glenys Hirst
13-Feb-07, 17:44
I am surprised Raigmore Hospital wasnt able to provide you with some information/contacts back up in Caithness..Surely that would be included in re discharge from hospital,or at the clinic.

Fran
14-Feb-07, 02:39
We have only had the 2 visits to Raigmore, just over 2 weeks ago for the results, then last week for chemo. We got great support there and lots of brochures and leaflets. the nurses came today and will be back on friday. Tomorrow, wednesday he gets chemo in wick. We are getting support now and he will get more at Caithness General tomorrow.It would be good for me to know how chemo affects people so I know how best to care for him.I think it is quite hard for carers. I phoned yesterday for an appointment with his doctor but couldnt get one till Friday.

Fran
20-Feb-07, 15:48
Still did not get discharge papers or anything from Raigmore, but things are on the up. the macmillan nurse calls regularly and can answer all our questions. today he was not well and she arranged different things for us and the doctor was here within half an hour. We now feel we are getting the attention he needs and this makes him feel more settled now.
Thankyou for your support at this hard time.