PDA

View Full Version : How True This Is.

Lolabelle
03-Feb-07, 22:28
AUSTRALIA - THE RIGHT TO LEAVE

Our Country - YOU Have the right - the right to leave !

After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up
Christmas lights.

After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion andlet a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered.
This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen-
published in an Australian newspaper.

Quote:

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some
individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.
However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the
"politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do
I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia .
However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only
to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.
This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials
and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!
"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian,
right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then
you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we
really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND , and OUR LIFESTYLE , and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.
But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag,
Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage
you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, " THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".
If you aren't happy here then LEAVE, We didn't force you to come here.
You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really, when you think about it.

tip top
03-Feb-07, 22:52
Absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned.....we are far too liberal.....when in Rome etc.

North Rhins
03-Feb-07, 22:56
It’s what the majority of the UK want to say but are scared to death of saying it, because the minute you do you are immediately branded a racist.

Good for you Aussies!

mccaugm
03-Feb-07, 23:47
It’s what the majority of the UK want to say but are scared to death of saying it, because the minute you do you are immediately branded a racist.

Good for you Aussies!

Totally spot on...I am not a racist, I have no issues with other cultures. The UK is a Christian country so why are we so afraid to admit it. I was horrified when I read that the Grampian Health Board have decided to stop regarding Easter as a national holiday so as not to offend other religions/cultures. Even the Muslims themselves think this a step too far. What next do we ban Christmas?

fred
03-Feb-07, 23:55
Totally spot on...I am not a racist, I have no issues with other cultures. The UK is a Christian country so why are we so afraid to admit it.

Yeh, I'd noticed them all queuing to get into church an a Sunday.

North Rhins
03-Feb-07, 23:58
Yeh, I'd noticed them all queuing to get into church an a Sunday.
Since when do you have to go to church on a Sunday to be a Christian or have Christian value and morals?

porshiepoo
03-Feb-07, 23:58
I also think this is spot on.
I don't consider myself rascist but the whole pc thing is completely out of hand and causing more angst amongst nations than need be.

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 00:09
Totally spot on...I am not a racist, I have no issues with other cultures. The UK is a Christian country so why are we so afraid to admit it. I was horrified when I read that the Grampian Health Board have decided to stop regarding Easter as a national holiday so as not to offend other religions/cultures. Even the Muslims themselves think this a step too far. What next do we ban Christmas?

And the part I've highlighted in bold says it all, really..................it is the Politically Correct Crowd among us who are not only irritating us, but embarrassing the majority of other cultures....................and fomenting the exact problems they claim to be trying to avoid.

But imo, the Christianity of the UK is in name only, and the numbers of professed Christians are reducing year by year.............it is more than past time when the C of E was removed as a "state" religion and we became a truly secular society, putting religion back into the home and churches where it belongs.

I don't need any churchman trying to tell me what my morals should be.

fred
04-Feb-07, 00:33
Since when do you have to go to church on a Sunday to be a Christian or have Christian value and morals?

You don't.

That's not to say that everyone who doesn't go to church has Christian values and morals though, or a few that do go to church for that matter.

I just can't help feeling that if the government were to announce that it's inconvenient and inefficient to have the Easter holidays at a different time each year so they've decided to abolish it and have a Spring Solstice holiday instead the majority of people would be saying it was a good idea. Tell people it's being changed to avoid offending other religions and everyone's up in arms.

Let's face it it was a Pagan festival before the Christians hijacked it anyway, it doesn't say anything about eggs and bunnies in the Bible, it should be a time to celebrate the rebirth of nature after winter by rights.

canuck
04-Feb-07, 00:47

I guess that it depends on how you want to define "Christian". As to the values and morals bit, they are somewhat universal and could be claimed by anyone. However, traditional "Christian" does involve a worship component and attending church on Sunday is the normally accepted diet of worship for a believer.

concerned resident
04-Feb-07, 01:30
When visiting or living in a Country abroad, You have to abid by there laws and customs, so why should it be different here. This Country is now being controlled by do gooders, who not consider the rights of the British people.

Tubthumper
04-Feb-07, 01:32
Let's face it it was a Pagan festival before the Christians hijacked it anyway, it doesn't say anything about eggs and bunnies in the Bible...
Wait a minute Fred! Are you trying to imply that there are no bunnies and easter eggs in the bible? What was all the stuff about Jesus rolling an egg away to get out of his tomb about then?
You'll be telling me that Santa Claus doesn't feature in the old testament book of Rudolph next!

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 01:45
When visiting or living in a Country abroad, You have to abid by there laws and customs, so why should it be different here. This Country is now being controlled by do gooders, who not consider the rights of the British people.

And the do gooders are almost invariably white and British. :roll:

But as far as I'm aware, if anyone living here doesn't follow our laws prosecution follows just as with anyone else. :confused

I wouldn't have thought you had to follow another country's customs if you didn't want to though.............which is why it is so darn stupid to rile the majority for nothing........because if other religions want to ignore Christmas/Easter celebrations etc, nobody is forcing it on them.

fred
04-Feb-07, 10:03
I wouldn't have thought you had to follow another country's customs if you didn't want to though.............which is why it is so darn stupid to rile the majority for nothing........because if other religions want to ignore Christmas/Easter celebrations etc, nobody is forcing it on them.

You know I'm trying to remember them marching down Whitehall with placards when "Shrove Tuesday" somehow became "Pancake Day". "Whitsuntide" became "Spring Bank" without a murmur. People happily write "Merry Xmas" on cards which is tantamount to blasphemy but as soon as a Muslim comes into the equation everybody is suddenly Christian and screaming "I'm not a racist but...".

cuddlepop
04-Feb-07, 11:04
This is spot on but as usual we're scardey cats sitting on a tree.:mad:
I was married to an Australian and they certainly tell you like it is;)

scotsboy
04-Feb-07, 15:13
I have yet to meet a muslim who is offended by Christians celebrating Christmas, Easter or any other Christian festival - on the contrary many often wish me a Happy Christmas/Easter etc.

slow fade
04-Feb-07, 15:29
Well said the Aussies.I think people forget just how liberal and accepting we are in the U.K.
Why is it I find people make sensible statements feel the need to justify it by starting their sentence with "Im not a racist but....."
Its like the responsibilty is on people to PROVE they aint racist all the time. :confused

percy toboggan
04-Feb-07, 15:40
We must never shy away from expressing sentiments like those highlighted at the top of the thread. A rereshing blast of common sense and some good reaction to it.

Only planet Fred is dissenting. I'm glad I don't live there. Such a rarified atmosphere.

johno
04-Feb-07, 15:52
yep lolabell , reckon the ausies have got it dead right there, the nhs cancelled easter for fear of annoying muslems,even the muslems are dumfounded by this show of political correctness by some half witted officials
that are trying to run [ruin] the system. getting one,s photo taken with a veil on for a drivers license is plain stupidity, the idea of the pic is to prove that you are the holder of that document, is,nt it? what next, are we to allow passport pics in the same manner, let criminals stand in an identity line up masked. reckon there is a lot to be said for the old saying, when in rome do as the romans?.

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 15:56
Maybe some day, hopefully before I die, people will stop expecting everyone else to behave as they think is right.

When applied to Britain, or the four constituent main parts of it, just what is our country, our land and our lifestyle?

What parts of any of it are immigrants changing in such a manner as to force us to change the way we live to suit them?

As far as I'm concerned, if immigrants obey our laws just as much as all the rest of us do, that is as much lifestyle integration as I would expect.

It seems to me it is not the immigrants who are producing all these PC sillinesses which engender so much rancour, but a load of British bleeding heart jobsworths justifying their existence.

fred
04-Feb-07, 16:26
Why is it I find people make sensible statements feel the need to justify it by starting their sentence with "Im not a racist but....."

I just interpret that as meaning "I am a racist in denial".

percy toboggan
04-Feb-07, 16:41
I just interpret that as meaning "I am a racist in denial".

You would.
Condemning people e'en before all the words have left their lips is is a trait of censorious holier than thou Guardianista fantasists.

percy toboggan
04-Feb-07, 16:46
[quote=Oddquine;187861]What parts of any of it are immigrants changing in such a manner as to force us to change the way we live to suit them?

quote]Should you ever travel south of the Anglo-Scottish border, and keep going to Northern Lancashire town like Colne, Burnley and Blackburn you might glean an inkling.

One example: they like their women to know their place - in the home bringing up the kids. Don't teach 'em English either if they can help it.Is this the British way? Some of the feistier ones are rebelling, even flicking 'v' signs up to photographers. In some small way, this might be encouraging were it not such an affront to feminine decency.

That said: your point about pc jobsworths has much merit.

scotsboy
04-Feb-07, 16:57
Oddquine wrote:
It seems to me it is not the immigrants who are producing all these PC sillinesses which engender so much rancour, but a load of British bleeding heart jobsworths justifying their existence.

Very true Oddquine - take a look at those who suggest that Christmas cards should not be sent, that Christmas decoations should not be put up - and that Winter Celebraitons should be the order of the day. When you will do you will find the secular movement - much more of a threat than Freds ninja zionist turtles.

fred
04-Feb-07, 20:37
Very true Oddquine - take a look at those who suggest that Christmas cards should not be sent, that Christmas decoations should not be put up - and that Winter Celebraitons should be the order of the day. When you will do you will find the secular movement - much more of a threat than Freds ninja zionist turtles.

I thought that was the traditional way for Caithness. The Winter Celebrations, or Hogmanay as it is better known, was always the order of the day, Christmas has only crept in in living memory.

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 21:04
Should you ever travel south of the Anglo-Scottish border, and keep going to Northern Lancashire town like Colne, Burnley and Blackburn you might glean an inkling.

One example: they like their women to know their place - in the home bringing up the kids.

Just like any unreconstructed Scotsman or Yorkshireman then.........if their wives let them get away with it!

Don't teach 'em English either if they can help it.Is this the British way? Some of the feistier ones are rebelling, even flicking 'v' signs up to photographers. In some small way, this might be encouraging were it not such an affront to feminine decency.

But why should they adopt the "British way", whatever that is, as long as they don't expect us to adopt theirs and can get along adequately without speaking English? Just because you expect them to do it?

Sorry, I don't quite understand that last two sentences.
But if by that you mean that immigrant women are giving the finger to obtrusive photographers.....explain to me why you come to the conclusion that that isn't very much the British way nowadays..and why you haven't commented on other females, including celebrities doing exactly the same.........or do you expect more female decency from husband controlled immigrants than you do from British born white females?

fred
04-Feb-07, 21:19
When visiting or living in a Country abroad, You have to abid by there laws and customs, so why should it be different here.

Never been on a club 18-30 holiday to Spain then.

The British have the worst reputation in the world for breaking other countries laws.

golach
04-Feb-07, 21:27
Never been on a club 18-30 holiday to Spain then.

The British have the worst reputation in the world for breaking other countries laws.
Ehmm, Fred, what about all the Saudi Arabians in the UK, smoking, drinking? I thought Tobacco and Alcohol were forbidden by Muslim law?
And the Saudis in Saudi Arabia taking back handers from those infidel Brits, who run illeagal bars in Saudi........double standards I think

Angela
04-Feb-07, 22:17
Maybe some day, hopefully before I die, people will stop expecting everyone else to behave as they think is right.

When applied to Britain, or the four constituent main parts of it, just what is our country, our land and our lifestyle?

What parts of any of it are immigrants changing in such a manner as to force us to change the way we live to suit them?

As far as I'm concerned, if immigrants obey our laws just as much as all the rest of us do, that is as much lifestyle integration as I would expect.

Well said Oddquine,

Immigrants have arrived in this country for many years and integrated with our existing society to a greater or lesser degree. Some times we've made it hard for them to integrate, and then wewonder why they feel marginalised.

Some times they've integrated to a lesser degree from choice, and so long as they don't break existing laws or incite other people to do so, don't expect laws to be changed to suit their lifestyles, or expect me to change how I live, that seems fair to me.

The idea of allowing a woman to wear a veil for a driving license photograph, on the other hand, is plain ridiculous. If she feels a personal conflict, then she needs to choose what matters more to her -presumably nobody is forcing her to have a license? I imagine she could not have a passport photo taken wearing a veil? This is PC-ness gone mad.

But...I don't understand what "British ways/British values/Britishness" is intended to mean these days. As a middle aged white woman, I've felt much safer in predominantly Asian areas of, for example, Bradford & Leeds than in many predominantly white areas of British cities.

I have never seen groups of young Asian women -or men either - scantily clad, drunk out of their heads, shouting and swearing and vomiting over themselves and other people. Is this how we want them to behave to be "British"?

Interesting too how through most of this thread there's the assumption that by immigrants we are referring to Asians and/or Muslims :confused

fred
04-Feb-07, 22:20
Ehmm, Fred, what about all the Saudi Arabians in the UK, smoking, drinking? I thought Tobacco and Alcohol were forbidden by Muslim law?

I thought people on this thread were saying they should abide by our laws and customs when they came here.

North Rhins
04-Feb-07, 22:37
I thought people on this thread were saying they should abide by our laws and customs when they came here.
I am not aware of any statutes forbidding the consumption of alcohol or the smoking of tobacco. However, under the Offences against the Persons Act of 1861 s18, it is an offence to blow the legs of an innocent passenger on a London bus. It is also contrary to English Common Law to vaporise a human being as they travel on the London underground. These are just a couple of our quaint little laws and customs which certain members of our community have failed to embrace.

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 22:49
I am not aware of any statutes forbidding the consumption of alcohol or the smoking of tobacco. However, under the Offences against the Persons Act of 1861 s18, it is an offence to blow the legs of an innocent passenger on a London bus. It is also contrary to English Common Law to vaporise a human being as they travel on the London underground. These are just a couple of our quaint little laws and customs which certain members of our community have failed to embrace.

That is quite true, a bit like the IRA did in England and them and the Provos di in NI.............just as it is against our laws to murder anybody.........what makes it so much worse and produces so much angst when it is done by a Briton who happens to be Muslim rather than a Briton who happens to be Irish?

There are a heckuva lot more than immigrants in our communities who take no notice whatsoever of our laws...so why single them out?

fred
04-Feb-07, 22:51
The idea of allowing a woman to wear a veil for a driving license photograph, on the other hand, is plain ridiculous.

It does seem to be ridiculous so I decided to try and track down the source of the story and find out who this woman was. All I could come up with is new rules which came in last September that Muslim women taking a driving test must show their faces to someone at the test centre to ensure it matches the photograph on their licence.

Oh and this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2970514.stm), a case in Florida of a woman having her licence revoked for refusing to be photographed without a veil.

fred
04-Feb-07, 23:05

I would agree with you Oddquine but what you have to remember is that there are people who are natives of Britain who just couldn't be bothered to learn our language and to them the word "integration" doesn't mean the combining of cultures as it says in the dictionary, it means you either abandon your culture and conform to ours or you can get back to where you came from.

fred
04-Feb-07, 23:11

And your point is?

I can understand Golach losing the plot from time to time and put it down to senility but what's your excuse?

North Rhins
04-Feb-07, 23:20
And your point is?

I can understand Golach losing the plot from time to time and put it down to senility but what's your excuse?
Please do not involve me with you petty little differences you appear to have with others on the Org. If there is anything you do not understand then I suggest you refer to Wikpedia, it’s where you get most of your inspiration from, isn’t it?

Angela
04-Feb-07, 23:27
There seems to me to be a big difference between laws and "customs".

What exactly ARE our customs in the UK in 2006? :confused

Angela
04-Feb-07, 23:32

Oops, typo, 2007, even!!!

Oddquine
04-Feb-07, 23:43

Do we really have any British customs? :confused

fred
04-Feb-07, 23:49
Please do not involve me with you petty little differences you appear to have with others on the Org. If there is anything you do not understand then I suggest you refer to Wikpedia, it’s where you get most of your inspiration from, isn’t it?

I typed in "North Rhins irrational ravings" but it didn't come up with anything.

North Rhins
04-Feb-07, 23:53
I typed in "North Rhins irrational ravings" but it didn't come up with anything.
What is it about you Fred? You must have had a very disturbed life to have such a jaundiced view of the everybody. All your posts seem to have a common theme running through them, the fact that all governments are liars, all media are liars. In fact, apart from a few obscure web sites that you seem to endorse, everyone is a liar. Your anti everything paranoia must be eating you from the inside out. Every post is laden with venom, not matter what the thread subject is, you always appear to corrupt it with your own particular brand of malice. Your contributions are not thought provoking, they are not even controversial, they are predictable and malevolent.

nightowl
05-Feb-07, 01:07
[quote=Lolabelle;187672]AUSTRALIA - THE RIGHT TO LEAVE

Yes, immigrants sure have a lot to answer for.
http://www.eco-action.org/dt/abor.html

scorrie
05-Feb-07, 03:19
What is it about you Fred? You must have had a very disturbed life to have such a jaundiced view of the everybody. All your posts seem to have a common theme running through them, the fact that all governments are liars, all media are liars. In fact, apart from a few obscure web sites that you seem to endorse, everyone is a liar. Your anti everything paranoia must be eating you from the inside out. Every post is laden with venom, not matter what the thread subject is, you always appear to corrupt it with your own particular brand of malice. Your contributions are not thought provoking, they are not even controversial, they are predictable and malevolent.

Fred lives in a different world. A world where he is king. The only person who has read all the books and visited all the "right" websites. A world where thought rules over emotion. A perfect world, where nobody is ever racist.

It is a lot easier to be a theoretical tolerant when you live in Caithness with goats for company, rather than next door to people from another country who have ideas about telling YOU how you should be living your life.

Poor Freddie, if only you could see how boring, repetitive and pathetic your ramblings have become. The "Naked Rambler" seems a fitting title.

fred
05-Feb-07, 09:43
Fred lives in a different world.

I am proud to say I do. In my world I don't hate people just because they are different, truth is more important than loyalties. I am glad I left the cesspool of your world behind.

Angela
05-Feb-07, 10:41

I'm not sure that we do - I think our customs are much more localised.

I believe that immigrants would think the more of us if we did have customs that we adhered to.

Perhaps we have "traditions", although some of these seem to be marketing ploys, aimed particularly at tourists, as much as anything else. Others we only seem to value when we feel there's a threat of them being taken away.

However - I don't see why Christmas & Easter traditions should be banned - whether a person is a Christian who has a religious belief in these festivals, or does just enjoy the traditional parts of them (Christmas trees, Easter eggs etc) why should they not be allowed to observe them as they wish?

Over the years Christmas & to a lesser extent Easter have been very much taken over by commercialism, as have Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Hallowe'en...and so on...Even a few years ago Hallowe'en wasn't what it appears to have become now - my children went out guising, not "trick and treating" and carved lanterns out of neeps, not pumpkins -and these are trends which we have taken from America.

Burns Night seems to have been left alone - but then it is a genuine Scottish tradition. :confused

golach
05-Feb-07, 11:06
I love it when you resort to personal attacks Fred, it shows you are slighty human, and not the god of morality of the .Org [disgust]

fred
05-Feb-07, 11:12
I love it when you resort to personal attacks Fred, it shows you are slighty human, and not the god of morality of the .Org [disgust]

That wasn't a personal attack, I was just making excuses for you.

Saveman
05-Feb-07, 11:29
What is your truth Fred?

Whitewater
05-Feb-07, 11:32
I don't think it matters too much what our traditions are, or whether we all agree with then or not. The point is that countless men and women gave their lives in two world wars defending our way of life, and more importantly, defending our right to live it as we see fit within the boundry of the laws of the country. We should not be allowing all our politically correct nutters to pick away and erode the backbone of our culture.

I have to agree with opening post of this thread, although I'm surprised to see Lollabelle write that Australia appears to be in the same position as this country with regard to political correctness. But then perhaps I shouldn't be as Australia has had to endure a Labour Government for many years as well.

We should never be afraid to stand up and be counted, and be able to run our lives within the Christian, or other traditions of this great country as we see fit.

People who pander to the whims of a few Labour MPs who think it is smart to try and appease the feelings of our imigrants are just weaklings. The vast majority of the immigrants arriving in this country are quite happy to accept our way of life and culture.

Some of you will probably call me a racist for the views which I have expressed in this post. If some of the weaker minded see it that way I make no apology. I love the British way of life, and I do not see why we should devalue it to accommodate people from different cultures, many of who have left behind cultures that are backward, and centuries behind what we have to offer. I am of the opinion that they came to this country to get a better life.

Lolabelle
05-Feb-07, 11:51
[quote=Lolabelle;187672]AUSTRALIA - THE RIGHT TO LEAVE

Yes, immigrants sure have a lot to answer for.
http://www.eco-action.org/dt/abor.html

Yer dead right, the british do have a lot to answer for. I wasn't around then and hate what has happened to the aboriginals. Some of my best friends and some family are aboriginal. I know people who were stolen children. But having muslims stop anyone celebrating anything christian isn't going to do the Aboriginals any good. I can't change what has happened in the past any more than you can. The aborgines were treated worse than animals by the English as were the North American Indians and the Spanish treated the natives of South America.

Angela
05-Feb-07, 12:17
[quote=Lolabelle;188105][quote=nightowl;188053]

But having muslims stop anyone celebrating anything christian isn't going to do ... any good. I can't change what has happened in the past any more than you can. quote]

hello Lolabelle,

btw I agree with you that we can't change the past.

It seems to be only a small minority of Muslims in this country who would want to stop Christian celebrations here & much more native white PC do-gooders who are bringing up "issues" and causing problems where there weren't any. People seem to be so scared of being sued as well!

I've got to know some Polish people who arrived here in the last year or so.
They don't think Britain's a Christian country - to them it's secular. That's nothing to do with Muslims, it's because Poland is a strongly Catholic country, and in their opinion we are pretty much heathens. One young man in particular was amazed to discover that we celebrated Christmas in any religious way at all! :confused

Oddquine
05-Feb-07, 12:20
Yer dead right, the british do have a lot to answer for. I wasn't around then and hate what has happened to the aboriginals. Some of my best friends and some family are aboriginal. I know people who were stolen children. But having muslims stop anyone celebrating anything christian isn't going to do the Aboriginals any good. I can't change what has happened in the past any more than you can. The aborgines were treated worse than animals by the English as were the North American Indians and the Spanish treated the natives of South America.

But the Muslims aren't trying to stop us celebrating anything christian.........that honour belongs to the Britons, mostly white, who have made it their job in life to identify practices which, in their eyes, differentiate between the various races in Britain. Then they work to eliminate those practices to "placate" a minority which has no problems with them in the first place.

I get so annoyed when immigrants and non-white Britons are generally assumed to be the instigators of the mostly ludicrous politically correct garbage which is produced by the various quangos and political movements, and we then get threads blaming them for the actions of others.

Lolabelle
05-Feb-07, 12:33
But the Muslims aren't trying to stop us celebrating anything christian.........that honour belongs to the Britons, mostly white, who have made it their job in life to identify practices which, in their eyes, differentiate between the various races in Britain. Then they work to eliminate those practices to "placate" a minority which has no problems with them in the first place.

I get so annoyed when immigrants and non-white Britons are generally assumed to be the instigators of the mostly ludicrous politically correct garbage which is produced by the various quangos and political movements, and we then get threads blaming them for the actions of others.
I don't know about in the UK, but in Australia, the muslims are complaining in schools about christmas celebrations and the like and idiotic politians and do gooders and the pc brigade are carrying it even further by not putting up christmas lights, not having easter cards and stuff at schools and the rest. What is really annoying is the people who are allowing our traditions and likes ( and so what if it is just a community desire) to be taken away for fear of offending people who asked to come and live in a safe, free and wonderful country. They are allowed to come here and I am happy to have them, but our news is full daily of the muslims complaining and demanding we change. And our stupid polititians go along with it. I don't care what anyone does with thier beliefs and traditions and customs, just don't dictate what I can do.

Oddquine
05-Feb-07, 12:52
I don't know about in the UK, but in Australia, the muslims are complaining in schools about christmas celebrations and the like and idiotic politians and do gooders and the pc brigade are carrying it even further by not putting up christmas lights, not having easter cards and stuff at schools and the rest. What is really annoying is the people who are allowing our traditions and likes ( and so what if it is just a community desire) to be taken away for fear of offending people who asked to come and live in a safe, free and wonderful country. They are allowed to come here and I am happy to have them, but our news is full daily of the muslims complaining and demanding we change. And our stupid polititians go along with it. I don't care what anyone does with thier beliefs and traditions and customs, just don't dictate what I can do.

Is it "the Muslims" or is it just the few fundamentalists who have taken the Allah-given opportunity to jump on the convenient pc bandwagon to further their own agenda?

I'm inclined to think that in all countries, too much notice is taken of those minorities, whether immigrant or "native", who can shout loudest , whine longest and grab the media attention by doing so.

Angela
05-Feb-07, 12:52

I agree with you on that Oddquine.

The media lose no opportunity to bring every small incident to our attention -it then gets blown up out of all proportion. Daft, but dangerous, political correctness then takes over, people start banging on about their rights, which they don't seem to have thought about that much before.

I've not noticed my Asian postmaster along the road telling me how to run my life, any more than I would dream of telling him how to run his. He may be Muslim, he may not, I've never asked him, any more than I would expect him to ask me about my religion - we talk mostly about the weather & the state of the postal system

What immigrants are we talking about in this thread? :confused

People who arrived in Britain last year? Or only people who arrived in Britain last year & are Muslims -not people from the EU for example?

Or perhaps people who were born here, have lived here all their lives and just happen to be Muslims? :confused

fred
05-Feb-07, 14:37
What is your truth Fred?

If I could bottle that and sell it I'd make a million in no time.

But I can't, it's something everyone must find for themselves.

squidge
05-Feb-07, 15:48
Should you ever travel south of the Anglo-Scottish border, and keep going to Northern Lancashire town like Colne, Burnley and Blackburn you might glean an inkling.

One example: they like their women to know their place - in the home bringing up the kids. Don't teach 'em English either if they can help it.Is this the British way?

Well i am from the north lancashire percy spoke about and it looks pretty much the same as it always did. i I can still pick up a pint of milk on Christmas day from Ahmads shop on the corner of bridge street, i can also get smaosas and onion bhajis along with my roberstons Christmas pud and my Mr kiplings mince pies. I dont have to wear a veil to go in there and I can call ahmad and his brother mohammed by their names and chat to their wives when they pop in also. I dont have to stand six paces behind my husband to do so. The school which is 50/50 asian and white british pupils still celebrates Christmas and Eid and refers to the Easter holidays as Easter holidays and ramadan as ramadan! No different to twenty years ago then. I can buy beautiful materials from the lovely sari shop on Milkstone Road and pop across and pick up a hollands meat pudding from the chippy accross the road. One change i did notice was that there is now an Asians Woman's Centre - that was never there before - it used to be the Ukranian Centre - what an blow - i cant take the kids along to do the traditional egg painting we used to do their - my british culture is threatened.

And as for them liking their women in their home - crikey if i - as a working mum - heard that mentioned once in the last twenty years from white men i heard it a million times. "no offence like Sue but you shouldnt be working full time" I have never in my life been told the way to live by a muslim person but i have been told many many times by middle aged white men and women.

Seems to me percy that north lancashire is a pretty much what it has always been, muslims dont get off their speeding fine cos they are late for prayers at the mosque cos they live in burnley. They have to obey the law or they get the same treatment as the rest of the population.

The thing is that there are still people who walk past a well functioning multi cultural school and mutter " there's hardly a white face amongst them"; there are still people who walk past Ahmad's shop and say " huh paki shop im not going in there"; there are still people who see an Asian Women's centre and say "what a waste of tax payers money" These people dont see the good in anything. Racist? Maybe... Ignorant certainly. They provide the reasoning for the Pc brigade to say we are doing away with Christmas decorations in case they upset anyone, we are not going to display christmas cards because they might offend someone.

Political correctness does more harm than good and is a ridiculous waste of money and belongs to the "Look See We ARE doing something" school of behaviour - money would be better spent on real projects to benefit mult cultural communities like the races and faces projects and the breaking barriers projects.

scotsboy
05-Feb-07, 16:03
Fred wrote:
I thought that was the traditional way for Caithness. The Winter Celebrations, or Hogmanay as it is better known, was always the order of the day, Christmas has only crept in in living memory.

Can't speak about times before 1962, but since then it seems Christmas has always ben celebrated. I do recall my Dad telling me that in his day, Christmas was just a normal working day and like you said Hogmanay was the big celebration (my father is from the North East of Scotland and not Caithness). I think that was becuase Christmas was exactly that - it was a MASS.......so maybe by celebrating it we are pandering to those other immigrants the Roman Catholics;)

scotsboy
05-Feb-07, 16:06
And the Saudis in Saudi Arabia taking back handers from those infidel Brits, who run illeagal bars in Saudi........double standards I think

Double standards maybe Gollach, but I tell you what I really enjoy a good pull at a joint when I am in Amsterdam.
Wherever you go you the laws of supply and demand hold true - which is why prohibition just does not work.

Oddquine
05-Feb-07, 16:34
And that post tells it like it really is, Squidge! Good one!

Angela
05-Feb-07, 17:03
Well i am from the north lancashire percy spoke about and it looks pretty much the same as it always did.

The thing is that there are still people who walk past a well functioning multi cultural school and mutter " there's hardly a white face amongst them"; there are still people who walk past Ahmad's shop and say " huh paki shop im not going in there"; there are still people who see an Asian Women's centre and say "what a waste of tax payers money" These people dont see the good in anything. Racist? Maybe... Ignorant certainly. They provide the reasoning for the Pc brigade to say we are doing away with Christmas decorations in case they upset anyone, we are not going to display christmas cards because they might offend someone.

Political correctness does more harm than good and is a ridiculous waste of money and belongs to the "Look See We ARE doing something" school of behaviour - money would be better spent on real projects to benefit mult cultural communities like the races and faces projects and the breaking barriers projects.

Well said, Squidge. My experience of living in the North of England, not so long ago, was very much the same. :)

squidge
05-Feb-07, 17:29
I agree with whoever said that religion should be divorced from the state - this country isnt a Christian country any more. It is a multi faith society based on broad christian values which tend to be shared often times with other faiths - islam, hinduism, judaism etc etc - lets look what we share rather than what differences we have and life would be a lot better

George Brims
05-Feb-07, 21:49
A couple of interesting things I have noted lately are the Muslim group willing to pay for legal fees to *support* a ban on wearing face coverings in schools, and the Muslim girls in Birmingham, face coverings and all, giving the press photogs a nice traditional British two-fingered salute.

Lolabelle
05-Feb-07, 22:42
Is it "the Muslims" or is it just the few fundamentalists who have taken the Allah-given opportunity to jump on the convenient pc bandwagon to further their own agenda?

I'm inclined to think that in all countries, too much notice is taken of those minorities, whether immigrant or "native", who can shout loudest , whine longest and grab the media attention by doing so.

Yep, you are absolutely right. A few make a noise and a heap jump up and down and put the whole country offside. It's just that we constantly have these extremist fundamentalist minority on our telly telling us how immoral and disgusting we are, so it kind of taints the rest, unfortunately. Being told that our young girls deserve to be gang raped because they are "skippies" and nothing to the young lebonese muslim men tends to put you off them. And these young louts were born here, they have a rotten attitude and are more racist than any of thier forebears who immigrated here. The talk of Lebonon as home and scoff and mock Australians. They are in our face.
My cousins are beautiful young girls and they cannot even go to the movies in Sydney without being taunted and abused by Lebonese muslim brats.

Oddquine
05-Feb-07, 22:56
Yep, you are absolutely right. A few make a noise and a heap jump up and down and put the whole country offside. It's just that we constantly have these extremist fundamentalist minority on our telly telling us how immoral and disgusting we are, so it kind of taints the rest, unfortunately. Being told that our young girls deserve to be gang raped because they are "skippies" and nothing to the young lebonese muslim men tends to put you off them. And these young louts were born here, they have a rotten attitude and are more racist than any of thier forebears who immigrated here. The talk of Lebonon as home and scoff and mock Australians. They are in our face.
My cousins are beautiful young girls and they cannot even go to the movies in Sydney without being taunted and abused by Lebonese muslim brats.

Don't you think that they are just teenagers making excuses for/justifying their bad behaviour as teenagers do? Makes a change from the poverty, abuse etc excuses generally given as an attempt to mitigate the nastiness of some young people.....and they are much more likely in the current pc climate to be "understood" rather than punished.

If they were white boys gang-raping, they'd be making excuses as well, and if they hit the right note with the bleeding hearts, they might well be "understood" too.

Lolabelle
06-Feb-07, 05:07
Perhaps, but I have seen the expressions and hear the filthy taunts. That there is no remorse, just statements of theirs that the girls,(not one, but many) are just infidels, not even human in thier estimation. So add to that the complaints and I can't help but feel that if they don't like us, then just go.

Rheghead
06-Feb-07, 07:26

Think of it this way, the Geordie, Scouser, Caithnessian in fact everyone are not aware of their accent.

Think of all the things that you like to do and see if you can do them in other countries or if they are routinely done.

What you have left are our customs, they are just there under our noses and we just don't see them because they are so natural to us that they don't jarr the mind.

squidge
06-Feb-07, 19:48
I have met a few lebanese muslims during my lifetime and i have found them to be wholly polite, gentle and completely respectful. Whilst i understand lolabelles anger against young thugs insulting her cousins you have to wonder what it is that makes young muslim men - born in australia so anti Australia? There have been surveys done that suggest 40 plus percent of people who have english as a second language have experienced racism in the workplace in Australia, Although lolabelle clearly states that she neither condones nor comprehends the attitude of some australians to the native aboriginals she acknowledges that it is still an issue within Australian society. These are simply observations remember and not accusations but it appears that Australia are only recently begun to tackle racism - maybe as a result of the sorts of issues and instances that lolabelle talks about.

It is wise to note however that although we in Britain have taken hold of racism through legislation and diversity activities, we still have British muslims prepared to die and take many people with them - we have to look at ourselves and wonder what allows the seeds of hatred to flourish in both australian and british society

JimH
06-Feb-07, 20:50
I agree with whoever said that religion should be divorced from the state - this country isnt a Christian country any more. It is a multi faith society based on broad christian values which tend to be shared often times with other faiths - islam, hinduism, judaism etc etc - lets look what we share rather than what differences we have and life would be a lot better

Whether religion is divorced from the State or not - These British Islands are predominently Christion by Faith and by Moral Standards - and although the standards seem to be slipping, It is only a minority that offends.

THe original post on this thread is one we should all adapt (IMHO) and is brilliant. The attitude contained within it is, without question, the correct one for any country that takes in immigrants.

I have never been prejudiced about immigrants - but I am beginning to ask questions.

Enoch Powell may well yet prove to have had the answer.

It is a fact that the present government and its politically Correct pillocks havent got a clue.

Mad1man
07-Feb-07, 01:07
I'm not a xenophobe or a racist or anything other than a grumpy owld man, but, I agree with that aussie guys sentiments. FIFO....... fit in or ...... flit off. There is nothing I love more than visiting other countries and trying to get a feel for their culture and way of life. I have no intention of forcing my preferred way of living on them. I think of this as one of the best ways to get to understand how others feel.

I am amazed at how much common sense and tolerance I hear every trime I visit threads like this - why do we never manage to put the concepts across to those we elect, thus making it possible for some of these great ideas to get to be used?

scotsboy
07-Feb-07, 18:41
I worked in Australia for a wee while and really enjoyed it. It was a great place to work, people are incredibly positive and there are not the “class” barriers that sometimes exist in UK work situations. Everyone gets on, gets the job done. The social life is fantastic, and people generally are positive and look forward with confidence………but there is a very strange undercurrent of ethnic identity. I don’t know why I say strange because everywhere us “Brits” have gone we start up our own clubs and societies, but it was strange for me to see Hellenic Clubs, Serbian Clubs, Croatian Clubs, German Clubs, every country and many other groups had their own clubs - some of these were incredibly cliquish. No more so than the Burns Club or the Irish Club I suppose – but it seemed to me that with all the togetherness I saw during the day, that these places were divisive.
I used to drink in an Irish Pub – well it was nominally an Irish pub, but I suppose you can say it was a typical Aussie boozer, but 99.9% of the clientele were white, the exception being Taz the doorman, who was a Maori. I had some great times in there, and made a lot of friends – I have to say I was shocked one night when two Aboriginal lads came in for a game of pool. They were treated despicably, and lucky to get out of the place in one piece. I asked what was wrong, and was told in no uncertain terms that there was no way that “stinking abbos” were going to be allowed in their pub. I pointed out that Taz, who was there, wasn’t white either and was told – yeah but he is a Maori, and they haven’t lost their dignity. I’m not sure I understand yet what was meant by that statement.

j4bberw0ck
07-Feb-07, 19:01
lets look what we share rather than what differences we have and life would be a lot better

And that, in a nutshell, is where it all went wrong - the Multicultural Experiment and "Celebration of Differences". I know the French have their own problems with joblessness, young people and with immigrants, but at least they didn't fall for this multicultural garbage.

Angela
07-Feb-07, 19:21
Way back in the 1940s my parents, "exiled" in Lancashire, where my Dad got a job as a vet, belonged to the local Caledonian Society. They were happy living there, and made many new friends, but never thought of themselves as English.

Even further back in the 1900s, my grandparents moved from Caithness to Leith where my grandad got a job as a policeman. Same thing, they settled in, had children & made friends but they didn't forget their Caithness origins and enjoyed getting together with other "exiles".

The local population didn't seem to find these groups of Highlanders getting together threatening, but maybe the fact they were all British, all white and all at least nominally Christian, had something to do with that? Is it fine, even interesting to be different, but not too different?

cuddlepop
07-Feb-07, 20:42
Another example of clanishness,for want of a better word.is that there are a group of students all from Portree studying in Langside College;all are in halls and have been allocated the same floor.This wasn't because the students asked to be together it was decided for them.
This has had two effects,the first being that anyone else not from Portree on that floor feels as though they are imposing if there in the common room.The other being they are still fairly clique in themselves and haven't branched out.
One girl from Portwilliam use to go home every weekend cause she felt left out.
Thankfully that situation has corrected itself and she's now coming over the sea to Skye for their long weekend coming.
Are we as the adults are teaching these teanagers that they've got to stick together or are we supporting them in the big bad city they call Glasgow.
Thats a perception, as I'm from Glasgow and am proud to be Glasweigen:D