PDA

View Full Version : charity shops and books

moonshadow
03-Feb-07, 19:30
after reading a discussion about charity shops and their book donations i feel the need to mention it here.

what do you think about the way charity shops deal with your donations of books?

i know many of you have complained here in the past about the expensive prices these shops put on books that have been donated out of goodwill, but did you know that these books that charity shops cannot sell because of their overpricing, they then throw away.

i dont know what you all feel about this, but as a book lover i am disgusted about this treatment of both donated goods, and the books.

the reasoning behind this? they say they get too many books and cant sell them quickly enough!
dont you think if they lowered the prices they would get more sales?

for example i have looked in the local cancer research and see books priced from £1.99 upwards. these books remain for a long time on those shelves because of the stupid pricing. i have been in other charity shops nation wide and some places only charge 20p for a paperback book, these places have some of the highest sales intake because of the resonable prices.

corgiman
03-Feb-07, 21:43
well at our car boot sale tomorrow I will have loads of books many still in the charts and only read once and honestly don't know what to charge for them but was gonna go about £1 to £1.50 but after seeing this that is maybe a bit much???

caithness lad
03-Feb-07, 21:50
i dont agree. i work in a charity shop in wick and we charge the amounts u say ad we cant get enough to supply the demand. its charity not give away:eek:

Angela
03-Feb-07, 22:03
well at our car boot sale tomorrow I will have loads of books many still in the charts and only read once and honestly don't know what to charge for them but was gonna go about £1 to £1.50 but after seeing this that is maybe a bit much???

From experience on both sides of the counter with second hand books - at a car boot I'd charge £1 for good recent paperbacks and see how they go :)

moonshadow
03-Feb-07, 22:31
i dont agree. i work in a charity shop in wick and we charge the amounts u say ad we cant get enough to supply the demand. its charity not give away:eek:

so you deny you throw out donated books? :roll: cos most shops state exactly what you just said but seem to prefer binning perfectly good books.