PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to declare - Thurso post office

Tangerine-Dream
23-Aug-13, 16:43
There is a new "prohibited and restricted items" booklet the Royal Mail have produced which tells you what items are prohibited to be sent through the post. I have been asked a few times in the Thurso post office "what's in the package?" and have told them "nothing that contravenes with your prohibited items guide". I have then been told that I MUST tell them what's in the package or they would refuse to accept it.

I find this an invasion of privacy so phoned Royal Mail's head office. You do NOT have to tell them what's inside your package / letter. If the contents are not prohibited then you simply have to say "no dangerous goods"..... they may then show you the prohibited and restricted items booklet / give you a copy. Any problems, the head office advised me to get the staff to call the internal post office helpline for clarification.

It's pretty much along the lines of the airport thing....... "are there any dangerous items in your luggage?" Same goes here, once you are aware of the Royal Mail prohibited items then it's just a case of replying "no dangerous goods".

Apparantly "nobody else has complained" though the guy at Royal Mail head office told me they receive over 200 queries regarding this per HOUR (Nationwide). If they tell you they are refusing to accept your package as you haven't told them what the contents are then they should not be, as long as you are aware of the prohibited and restricted items list then a simple "nothing dangerous" is all you are required to say.

To ask you to specify the contents of a package that does not contain dangerous goods is a breach of privacy.

sids
23-Aug-13, 17:27
Why not just lie about what's in the parcel? Then your privacy is intact.

Big Gaz
23-Aug-13, 18:18
Should have seen the lass's face a few weeks back when i was asked what was in my packages. I replied " explosives, grenades, knives, rocket launchers and other assorted firearms. She was like :eek: then i said it's ok, they are only wargaming miniatures :-)

Kodiak
23-Aug-13, 18:24
There is a new "prohibited and restricted items" booklet the Royal Mail have produced which tells you what items are prohibited to be sent through the post. I have been asked a few times in the Thurso post office "what's in the package?" and have told them "nothing that contravenes with your prohibited items guide". I have then been told that I MUST tell them what's in the package or they would refuse to accept it.

I find this an invasion of privacy so phoned Royal Mail's head office. You do NOT have to tell them what's inside your package / letter. If the contents are not prohibited then you simply have to say "no dangerous goods"..... they may then show you the prohibited and restricted items booklet / give you a copy. Any problems, the head office advised me to get the staff to call the internal post office helpline for clarification.

It's pretty much along the lines of the airport thing....... "are there any dangerous items in your luggage?" Same goes here, once you are aware of the Royal Mail prohibited items then it's just a case of replying "no dangerous goods".

Apparantly "nobody else has complained" though the guy at Royal Mail head ofice told me they receive over 200 queries regarding this per HOUR (Nationwide). If they tell you they are refusing to accept your package as you haven't told them what the contents are then they should not be, as long as you are aware of the prohibited and restricted items list then a simple "nothing dangerous" is all you are required to say.

To ask you to specify the contents of a package that does not contain dangerous goods is a breach of privacy.

There is just one thing wrong with this. Royal Mail might say you are not required to state exactly what is in the parcel you are posting, but what does the head office of The Post Office say.

The Royal Mail and The Post Office are two completely different company's and have two different sets of Rules and Regulations. Therefore to make 100% certain if the assistant is incorrect in asking what you are posting then you should contact The Post Office.

Just for you here is the Phone Number of The Post Office Customer Service Helpline - 08457 22 33 44

Tangerine-Dream
23-Aug-13, 18:43
There is just one thing wrong with this. Royal Mail might say you are not required to state exactly what is in the parcel you are posting, but what does the head office of The Post Office say.

The Royal Mail and The Post Office are two completely different company's and have two different sets of Rules and Regulations. Therefore to make 100% certain if the assistant is incorrect in asking what you are posting then you should contact The Post Office.

Just for you here is the Phone Number of The Post Office Customer Service Helpline - 08457 22 33 44

I'm sorry, I should have added that it was the Post Office I was speaking to..... hence the guy advising me to tell the counter assistant to call the internal post office helpline in case they didn't fully understand that they shouldn't be asking customers to declare the contents of their packages.

This is a small place and it's not everybody that want's other people to know what they are sending in their packages.... if I went up to someone in the street and asked them what was in their shopping bag they would probably hit me over the head with it ;) The post office has no right, whatsoever, to ask you to declare the contents of a package.... the contents must be declared for items going to Non Euro countries on the custom slip but UK / Euro package contents don't need to be declared to a post office counter worker if there are no dangerous goods inside..... if they tell you they will refuse to accept it unless you tell them the contents, even if you have answered "no dangerous goods" to their "what's inside it?" question, then please insist they call their internal post office helpline for guidance.

orkneycadian
23-Aug-13, 19:00
Just tell the lassie behind the counter its returns for Ann Summers, and start reeling off as many naughty toys and items of lingerie as you can think of (Its a family forum, so I will have to restrain from making suggestions....)

See how far you can get before she turns beetroot and asks you to stop. If you can be explicit in the descriptions, that will help!

If she doesn't go red, but smiles knowingly, ask her for her phone number! ;)

ducati
23-Aug-13, 19:49
I must admit, I've been asked about the content of packages (usually EBAY returns). It never struck me not to tell them. I think if you have very sensitive materials to send I would send them by courier.

Tangerine-Dream
23-Aug-13, 20:11
A few of you seem to missing the "invasion of privacy" part of this.... "what is in your package"?

NONE of your business, it is not dangerous goods.

This is not, YET, Hitler's Germany but little things like this are yet another erosion of our freedoms and unless we stamp them out (at source) they will soon be reading and censoring our letters..... it all starts with "what's in the package mister?" and progresses to "letter will be sent after the postmeister has censored the contents"..... they have NO right, in LAW, to demand that you tell them the contents of your package as long as your package does not contain prohibited items / dangerous goods.

It is CLEARLY stated on the prohibited and restricted items booklets that "You are responsible for checking whether or not an item is prohibited or restricted"

ie: when asked..... "what are the contents" your answer is "no dangerous goods".

Thurso Post office have got it VERY wrong where they are actually refusing to accept a package unless you tell them the exact contents of the package.

Feel free to disclose to them but be aware that they are breaching human privacy rights by asking you to disclose the contents after you have stated "no dangerous goods"......

Tangerine-Dream
23-Aug-13, 20:20
I must admit, I've been asked about the content of packages (usually EBAY returns). It never struck me not to tell them. I think if you have very sensitive materials to send I would send them by courier.
Privatisation looming? That's what they WANT you to do! This is all part of the big wigs getting their hands on RM cheaply...... Unfortunately, the counter staff at the co-op didn't quite understand where I was coming from when I mentioned that one ;) Oh well, it's their pensions and jobs at stake..... not mine. This is a direct attempt to pee customers off, as is the "package sizing" lark.... an attempt to get us (who OWN the Royal Mail) to move over to couriers and pay a premium price..... the privatisation will be heralded as a success and all the fat cats and their mates will grow even fatter from the proceeds!

Wake up an sniff the roses.

orkneycadian
24-Aug-13, 13:09
A few of you seem to missing the "invasion of privacy" part of this.... "what is in your package"?

Well, I could think of another response to this if asked at the counter of Thurso post office, but it would probably get me thrown out for sure! [lol]

Alrock
24-Aug-13, 13:36
Maybe they should employ a psychic & then there would be no need to ask at all... :roll:

orkneycadian
24-Aug-13, 17:09
Excellent idea! And the psychics would be getting paid for it as well! Brilliant!

Alice in Blunderland
24-Aug-13, 17:34
Well, I could think of another response to this if asked at the counter of Thurso post office, but it would probably get me thrown out for sure! [lol]I have a feeling your response may have a slight exaggeration in it to impress the staff behind the counter ;)

ducati
24-Aug-13, 19:38
Privatisation looming? That's what they WANT you to do! This is all part of the big wigs getting their hands on RM cheaply...... Unfortunately, the counter staff at the co-op didn't quite understand where I was coming from when I mentioned that one ;) Oh well, it's their pensions and jobs at stake..... not mine. This is a direct attempt to pee customers off, as is the "package sizing" lark.... an attempt to get us (who OWN the Royal Mail) to move over to couriers and pay a premium price..... the privatisation will be heralded as a success and all the fat cats and their mates will grow even fatter from the proceeds!

Wake up an sniff the roses.

Blimey! I have had thought about this. Basically, you're crackers

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 21:37
Well, I could think of another response to this if asked at the counter of Thurso post office, but it would probably get me thrown out for sure! [lol]

The "manager" of the Thurso Post Office actually put the phone down on me after I phoned her up and told her what her staff were doing wasn't official Post Office policy..... she was extremely rude and when I told her that I spend over £4,000 per year on postage and cutting me mid sentence..... she replied "I don't care how much you spend" and slammed the phone down on me before I could even finish my sentence! I didn't even get the opportunity to follow up with "this is a deliberate ploy by the big wigs in the Post office to send the customers elsewhere (ie: couriers) so when it comes to privatisation they can say oh well, the customers have already voted with their pockets and moved over to couriers...... What a RUDE woman! I have been actively campaigning against privatisation as the north of Scotland will be heavily hit by "surcharges" when the one price for all (anywhere in the UK) price of a stamp falls into the hands of "we'll charge what we want to" couriers......

I was tempted to make an official complaint but decided not to, she'd obviously had a bad day, BUT that is no way to talk to a customer! As far as I am aware "we" the public still own the Royal Mail / Post office and it is our money that keeps the ball rolling..... with staff like that running the joint I sometimes wonder if I should let my principles slip and say "sod it!", it's time to use a courier.

Thing is Orkneycadian, they probably WOULD throw you out if you mentioned your lunchpack contents ;) They really do need to take a chill pill in the co-op Post Office, there are rules and regulations but they appear to making them up as they go....... It's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned but for a manager of a Post office to declare "I don't care how much you spend" and slam the phone down on you when you were simply stating that they were breaching privacy rights demanding to know the contents of your package is BAD customer service, no other word for it.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 21:40
Blimey! I have had thought about this. Basically, you're crackers

Just thinking out of the box mate....certainly not crackers.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 22:12
Why not just say "first class please" and that's the end of it (as it has always been)...... Hitler's Germany would not only "ask" you what was in your package, they would also open it and SHOOT you in the head if the contents were not to their liking....... I prefer the good old fashioned "I'm British and never post contraband or dangerous goods" approach..... it's been good to go for years. I still travel by train as I don't like having to remove my belt and shoes before boarding a plane (and be potentially given a free prostrate check by a moustached "official" wearing rubber gloves)...... nope, I'm sorry, our freedoms have been eroded BIG time in this country and each small candle of officialdom is lighting one massive FLAME of CONTROL / possible oppression that may not be possible to extinguish if we keep accepting evey little spark of madness from the PC brigade / powers that be.

Time to light our own candles and come together as one huge FIRE. We are in the dark but many small candles will light the way to freedom.

Each small candle lights a corner of the dark.

Word!

Kodiak
24-Aug-13, 22:15
Crackers..................Box..............MMMMM Box of Crackers = Christmas.

Merry Christmas to All.

golach
24-Aug-13, 22:22
I see no problem with this. Having been both a post office employee and HM Custom and Excise employee, declaring what is in a package or parcel would and has never been a problem for me. I suspect the OP is being a wee rebel/troll and is just making a noise for noise sake or is sending resricted or prohibited goods

sids
24-Aug-13, 22:23
I'm dying to know what T Dream is posting, that she can't tell the postie about.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 22:33
Crackers..................Box..............MMMMM Box of Crackers = Christmas.

Merry Christmas to All.

You obviously won't be sporting a pitched fork , when the day of reckoning comes, I doubt you even know what a pitched fork is? For your amusement I will wish you a happy and safe "Sangha Day" and trust your sacred day will be filled with Jacobs crackers and live anchovies.

Enjoy Sangha day.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 22:38
I see no problem with this. Having been both a post office employee and HM Custom and Excise employee, declaring what is in a package or parcel would and has never been a problem for me. I suspect the OP is being a wee rebel and is just making a noise for noise sake or is sending resricted or prohibited goods

I bet you're a very small man sporting a moustache? Part of the "establishment" in a traffic warden / lollipop man way? You may even be a SUPERVISOR in a charity shop?

golach
24-Aug-13, 22:42
I bet you're a very small man sporting a moustche? Part of the "establishment" in a traffic warden / lollipop man way? You may even be a SUPERVISOR in a charity shop?

I do have facial hair as a matter of fact, used to have a full Naval Regulation set for many years, now have a smaller beard. What has facial hair got to do with doing your job? Maybe you are too young to shave?

Dadie
24-Aug-13, 22:45
In a very loud voice make up the contents as orcadian suggested.
Then go into details how they have a loose connection as they dont work and you are looking for a replacement that is bigger or better!
(if asked about the parcel size then just wink and smile:D
Then every time you are asked make the contents wilder ...you wont be asked too many times;)
OR if with kids say it was for S.A.N.T.A (spelling out the word)stuff and it doesnt contain anything on the banned list but you cant say....

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 22:49
Are you too young to shave?

52 years old mate and have worn out more philishaves than you've had hot dinners...... I'm currently "flame shaving" and it's the dog's nads..... you're blades and cut throats just can't deal with real MAN hair.... the flame shave burns it nicely and leaves your face silky smooth.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 22:54
In a very loud voice make up the contents as orcadian suggested.
Then go into details how they have a loose connection as they dont work and you are looking for a replacement that is bigger or better!
(if asked about the parcel size then just wink and smile:D
Then every time you are asked make the contents wilder ...you wont be asked too many times;)
OR if with kids say it was for S.A.N.T.A (spelling out the word)stuff and it doesnt contain anything on the banned list but you cant say....

Just say "no dangerous goods"......... three words.

secrets in symmetry
24-Aug-13, 22:55
I'm enjoying your posts on this thread Tangerine-Dream

Thanks for the rants and the info. :cool:

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 23:01
T Dream is a "HE" ;)

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 23:07
I'm enjoying your posts on this thread Tangerine-Dream

Thanks for the rants and the info. :cool:

Thanks, I may come back sometime,

Mike,

Dadie
24-Aug-13, 23:10
...but if pushed ...then go into outlandish claims..
Besides they can scan/x ray parcels if they want ...
And find out if there are dangerous goods anyway!
heck I tell my postie what Im waiting for incase a parcel arrives when im out and he is brill as he gives parcels to my nextdoor neighbour if it needs signed for or bunging it in the porch if im on the school/nursery runs and he has already seen me and I say just bung it in ...its hubs tools from ebay for car etc...

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 23:18
You are missing the point.... your postie" may disappear if privatisation happens....... read between the lines ;)

Mike,.

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 23:22
Night night.

Dadie
24-Aug-13, 23:33
You are dealing with the frontline staff "mini hitlers" in the front office ....
Not the actual "workers" who deliver the mail, whom, I have respect and time for.
Besides, even though you are male, there should be something embarrassing enough to describe in detail in the Ann Summer catalog..or other catqalogs in the same theme to shut up nosy post office employees asking questions outwith their remit!

Tangerine-Dream
24-Aug-13, 23:41
You are dealing with the frontline staff "mini hitlers" in the front office ....
Not the actual "workers" who deliver the mail, whom, I have respect and time for.
Besides, even though you are male, there should be something embarrassing enough to describe in detail in the Ann Summer catalog..or other catqalogs in the same theme to shut up nosy post office employees asking questions outwith their remit!

YOU'RE missing the point again,,,,,, night night Dadie :)

Mike.

Dadie
25-Aug-13, 00:07
Err No Im not missing the point.
The point you think you are making - is if you dont use the post office you lose it to courier services that can charge through the nose for delivery.
If the frontline staff are iffy with you ..you should just take it as thats all we have..err NO...
You complain as its still a national company!
set to national standards all can get hold of.

starfish
25-Aug-13, 00:18
i was in wick post office the other day and a young lad wanted to send a large amount of cash and he got asled 101 question because they where worried he had be scamed so it works both ways

Humerous Vegetable
25-Aug-13, 12:15
Good thread T-D. You are 100% correct in your propostion that government agencies and their quango affiliates are underminding our personal and societal privacies for their own agendas and, as you can see from the replies you have received on this forum, the population has now been trained to accept this as "normal" and acceptable.
I was not aware of these new requirements by Royal Mail, because I very rarely post anything anymore if I can possibly help it, so thank you for your info.
I see that the frontline staff are currently holding anti-privatisation strikes, so obviously have not been made aware of the Royal Mail management agenda. You are doing good stuff here, but probably not on an ideal platform.

Phill
25-Aug-13, 12:53
Aye. Just when they need the support of the punters they go on strike.

orkneycadian
25-Aug-13, 14:08
(if asked about the parcel size then just wink and smile

There is just sooooo much fun you could have with this.....

"Excuse me ma'am, whats in the parcel?"
"None of your business"
"Sorry, Ma'am, it is, as per this leaflet here"
"In that case, there are "No Dangerous Goods" in the parcel"
"I require you to be more specific, for I am a nosey Jobsworth"
"Well, if you must know, its a Rabbit" (Dadie, stop giggling....)
"Sorry, Ma'am, as animal remains, that is not permitted in the post system"
"No, not that kind of Rabbit... Here, let me open it up and show you....."
"Ohhh my!!!....."
"Now, as you will see, there are no lithium or wet cell batteries installed in it at the moment, but if there were, then this is the on off switch, this one controls the speed and this one adjusts the action."
"Erm, um, oh my, I feel all faint, OK, ma'am, I get the gist. Please can you put it back in the box, quickly"
"Its OK, I'm in no hurry, and you did express significant interest in it - Now, if you look here, this one has the optional remote control, and the long range endurance battery compartment....."
"Ma'am - PLEASE PUT IT AWAY"
"Well, you did ask...."
"Right, pop it on the scales...."
"I also have this other package to send.... Its going back to KinkyLeatherFetishists.com - Its too small - Do you want to see it? It might actually be about your size...."
"Erm, no - I have decided not to ask any silly questions anymore, and will simply take customers word for it in future that there are "no dangerous goods" in their parcels....

Phill
25-Aug-13, 18:48
KinkyLeatherFetishists.comDidn't they set up at the old Lybster Polis Station?

sids
25-Aug-13, 20:06
Didn't they set up at the old Lybster Polis Station?

That was the Police. Their recruitment doesn't discriminate against kinkyleatherfetishists.

Tangerine-Dream
26-Aug-13, 20:29
Simple solution, I'm not going to get into any dialogue with that scowling faced manager...... I've designed a label which I will now attach to all my packages and, when asked, will simply point to the label on the package with a nice smile on my face ;)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/pinkfloyd2007_bucket/dangerousgoods_zps571fe098.gif~original (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/pinkfloyd2007_bucket/media/dangerousgoods_zps571fe098.gif.html)

Kodiak
26-Aug-13, 22:12
Simple solution, I'm not going to get into any dialogue with that scowling faced manager...... I've designed a label which I will now attach to all my packages and, when asked, will simply point to the label on the package with a nice smile on my face ;)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/pinkfloyd2007_bucket/dangerousgoods_zps571fe098.gif~original (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/pinkfloyd2007_bucket/media/dangerousgoods_zps571fe098.gif.html)

Please post the date and time when you intend to post another parcel. That way we can all watch what happens when you refuse to state what you have inside the Parcel. :Razz

outsidethebox
26-Aug-13, 22:27
If you get any grief from that idiot simply ask for the store manager - her boss!

secrets in symmetry
26-Aug-13, 23:26

I've printed a couple of your labels, and I'll stick them on a package I plan to post tomorrow. I'll report back on my experience. :cool:

secrets in symmetry
31-Aug-13, 00:46
My experience was good!

I was served by a young lassie who guessed correctly the contents of my package!

Alrock
01-Sep-13, 01:39
My experience was good!

I was served by a young lassie who guessed correctly the contents of my package!

Was this your package?

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2521/34xa.jpg

secrets in symmetry
01-Sep-13, 12:38
No lol!

It was the address of the recipient that she used to deduce/guess its contents. :cool:

Kodiak
01-Sep-13, 13:50
No lol!

It was the address of the recipient that she used to deduce/guess its contents. :cool:

Ahh! Was it Ann Summers Returns Dept? ;)

ducati
01-Sep-13, 17:46
Was it some idyllic off shore island with a welcoming banking system you were sending a brown paper package of er..printed material?

Big Gaz
01-Sep-13, 18:08
No lol!

Ach, Was an easy guess for her with it being dome shaped and addressed to Mr. Quasimodo esq. Glad you finally got rid of that old wok although i'm guessing Quasi must think its for ironing his shirts on. :D

secrets in symmetry
01-Sep-13, 18:58
Was it some idyllic off shore island with a welcoming banking system you were sending a brown paper package of er..printed material?No, but you're closer than anyone else. :cool:

mi16
01-Sep-13, 19:11
So did the OP get the buttplug posted or not?

sids
01-Sep-13, 21:20
posted

Does that mean what I think it means?