PDA

View Full Version : paper rounding in thurso

horselover
22-Aug-13, 18:59
hiya , im 13 and looking for a paper rounding job as i need extra money. Does anyone know who to contact and if they have an paper rounding jobs? thanks :lol:

spaceddaisy
22-Aug-13, 19:08
Try heading into Newsbeat, the Caithness Courier office or Frasers and speaking to them in person. They might not see your post here and if you're willing to go in it will show that you're keen. You could maybe print off a mini CV or bit of paper with your contact details on- they might not have anything available just now but if you give them that they might keep you in mind when something does come up. Good luck!

Mik.M.
22-Aug-13, 19:24
If you want to do a paper round then you will need a car of your own or someone to drive you about ;-)
The only people I`ve seen delivering papers do so from a car.

Big Gaz
22-Aug-13, 19:50
If you want to do a paper round then you will need a car of your own or someone to drive you about ;-)

When i was 12, my paper round was 160 dailys and 200+/- sundays. Took 3 trips with 50-60 papers in a bag and 4 trips on a sunday. I started at 05:30 daily so i could finish before school started and 07:00 saturday & sunday. I walked the round all the way and looking at it on a map now i reckon it was roughly a 3.5 mile trip all in. The odd time i got a lift was to or from the shop, or my father would regularly help out by taking all the sunday papers in the car and dropping the bags off at a customers house so i wouldnt have to walk back to the shop. I never got a lift or was driven round and i delivered for over 3 years without a break other than my annual summer holiday where i got a friend to do it for me. I made an average of maybe £12-13 per week plus any tips and £10 was banked for my summer holiday and xmas time. The only reason i stopped doing it was that the newsagent passed away and a foreigner took over the shop and refused to supply me papers as he had organised the paper rounds himself and was only paying £5 per week. This lasted about 4 weeks and all the paper lads quit and the guy actually came to my house and asked me to come back at £7.50 a week. My dad seen him off pretty quick lol. Turned out he was charging the customers twice what i charged for delivery and they all stopped taking papers from him. He was too quick to charge £25 but only pay £5 to the paper boy which was his undoing....fool!

horselover
23-Aug-13, 19:17
thanks for all the info:) i will try and look at the buisneses i have been given thanks

ducati
23-Aug-13, 19:51

What is wrong with a bicycle?

orkneycadian
25-Aug-13, 14:43
Good luck with the paper round search Horselover. Bearing in mind that there are not very many paper shops these days, and few folk who get a paper delivered, if you are unsuccessful, consider getting yourself out early one Saturday morning and going off to see if you can find business's that you think might need some help. People of your age can do more than just paper rounds;

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

(https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment)Maybe you might see a shopkeeper setting up a display you could help with. Maybe an old lady who could use some help with shopping or gardening. As a horse lover, you might be able to find a farmer who could use some help, maybe not necessarily with horses, but other livestock that might interest you. Make a note of all the opportunities you see and discuss them with your folks. If they think the prospective "employer" might be suitable, go and ask them if you can help, either occasionally or regularly. As mentioned above, have a piece of paper with your contact details ready to give them in case they are too busy to speak to you when you "drop in" on them.

There are all sorts of folk out there who might welcome the help of a keen and hard working teenager - Not just paper shops. If you present yourself as keen and enthusiastic, you might be surprised how many opportunities there could be!

horselover
25-Aug-13, 22:24
Thankyou orkneycadian

horselover
28-Aug-13, 21:24
Thankyou to everyone who gave me info about paper rounds , i have finially got a paper round :) thanks