PDA

View Full Version : organic food

mr do dar
03-Feb-07, 09:41
what do you think of organic food ???????
i feel that organic food is a money making scam via the goverment . And to make us think were eating healthy .
whats your comments on this ?

Pouleriscaig
03-Feb-07, 09:56
Hi! I'm not too sure of a scam.

I think there is a lot to be said for growing your own fruit and veg. without adding chemicals to them.
There does seem to be some adverse health effects as the result of pesticides, and there also environmental implications that are coming home to roost too.

Each to their own, but I'd prefer to keep using as much organic prodice as I can.:)

Royster1911
03-Feb-07, 10:07
While organic food can be better for your body, it is doing nothing for the environment. What is the ratio of the food being home grown and that which is flown in from around the world? Anyone out there know?:confused

Stumurf
03-Feb-07, 11:03
i agree the term organic is shaky at best, especially as there are no international standars set, or at least enforced.
Its possible for some food to be treated with some chemicals and then shipped to another country, and then imported back into the UK under "Organic" labelling because the chemicals aren't on that countries listings...
IMO making a mockery of current envronmental issues, massively increasing the ludicrous air miles that most foods endure and all the while remaining more profitable to the company than just selling it normally.

Its a sad state of affairs when "clean" food is more of a premium that food that is riddled with chemicals, (including additives etc....) but i suppose most modern people demand convienience as apposed to health.

I do agree that the organic "Label" is being used to make more money, but in real terms, it has to cost more because crops take longer to grow and yeild less.

I have done personal taste tests, and maybe its just me, but local/homegrown veg thats not sat in plastic packaging for god knows how long, under flourescent lighting taste's so much better to me... i also accept that a lot of that will be physcological due to prior reading but there is also a large dollop of common sense saying natures way is better than a laboratories way...

I have high hopes for the veggie patch i am trying to dig out at the moment.

Sianymo
03-Feb-07, 11:37
i agree the term organic is shaky at best, especially as there are no international standars set, or at least enforced.
Its possible for some food to be treated with some chemicals and then shipped to another country, and then imported back into the UK under "Organic" labelling because the chemicals aren't on that countries listings...

Yes there are internation standards set.. but you have the look for the Soil Association mark on the product. If it hasn't got it, then the Organic Label isn't worth the ink it's printed with.

Find out more about them here:
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/Living/organic_standards.html (http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf?Open)

;)