PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on cats and leather suites

colmac
09-Mar-05, 21:27
Can anyone advise me on any foolproof methods to keep cats from scratching a leather suite? We are due to get our new one next month and I would appreciate any information before then. Thanks

katarina
09-Mar-05, 21:33
Is that a new cat or a new leather suite?

doreenhedgehog
09-Mar-05, 21:34
Either:

a: cut their claws off, or at least round them off.
b: keep a sack and a couple of bricks beside it and they won't touch it.

colmac
09-Mar-05, 21:38
Sorry about that, it is a new leather suite. I don't particularly want to de-claw them. They are in and outdoor cats and if they go outside at all they depend highly on their claws to defend themselves etc...If you de-claw them you are basically confining them to solely being house cats.

Drutt
09-Mar-05, 22:21
I'm glad to hear you're not considering declawing your cats.

Lakeland sell a double-sided sticky tape (http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/GBP/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=XProlcK6aPVu8YCVOVzkk2p6kJ-RdVPzM_k=?ProductID=3sfAqAYUSXMAAAD5yxkum36z) that will discourage your cats from scratching, just because they'd find it so unpleasant to put their paws on something sticky. It's not cheap, but it may be low-tack tape that won't damage furniture. It'd be up to you if you wanted to try standard double-sided tape instead.

Other than that, I'd start really rewarding the cats for scratching their scratching post (you do have one, don't you?). Gently praise them and be very encouraging every time they use the post, and provide treats only at the post and only as a reward for scratching the post.

In contrast, using a loud voice or loud clapping when they do something you're trying to discourage (like scratching) will hopefully move them more in the direction of good behaviour at all times. I've known people to throw loud rattles or metal tins containing coins in the general direction of cats (not at the cats!) when they're scratching, because the cats will associate the short fright with the scratching and this will will also discourage them. I've not tried this myself though.

Drutt
09-Mar-05, 22:24
Can I also just ask, colmac, if they scratch the sofa you have at the moment? If so, what do you do when they do scratch?

George Brims
09-Mar-05, 22:28
One suggestion I was given a few years ago was to keep a spray bottle handy and mist the cat with water any time it tries to scratch something it's not supposed to. This was supposed to be foolproof. Well we bought a plastic spray bottle and had it ready and when the animal embedded his claws in the corner of the sofa he got a thorough misting. Which he loved. Just couldn't get enough of it. So much for that idea. :(

Isn't de-clawing of cats banned in the UK? I don't mean clipping the tips, I mean a vet actually operating to remove them at the roots. Certainly many types of alterations to dogs, such as that clipping of the ears to make Doberman Pinschers look more fierce, are not allowed. I think it's the vets themselves that have banned it, disciplining any members who do such operations.

Drutt
09-Mar-05, 22:34
One suggestion I was given a few years ago was to keep a spray bottle handy and mist the cat with water any time it tries to scratch something it's not supposed to. This was supposed to be foolproof. Well we bought a plastic spray bottle and had it ready and when the animal embedded his claws in the corner of the sofa he got a thorough misting. Which he loved. Just couldn't get enough of it. So much for that idea. :(

Oh yes, I've heard about that one too. Great suggestion. You were unlucky, George, as most cats hate water!

If you do use a physical punishment like spraying water or throwing a rattle/tin, make sure the cats don't see you do it. Act nonchalant when they look round to see what happened. It's important that the associate the punishment with the scratching and not associate it with you. If they associate it with you, they may seek to punish you back and start an even worse behaviour (like peeing on the carpet).

ŠAmethyst
09-Mar-05, 22:58
Some of you don't seem to realise that de-clawing cats is illegal in this country.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to stop cats scratching anything these days. Could you not get a spray that will deter the cat from going too near the sofa?

Geo
09-Mar-05, 23:08
There's a spray you can get from the petshop that is for detering pets from scratching furniture. You spray it on the furniture. Not sure if it would have any unwanted effects on leather though. Worth reading the instructions before buying.

Regarding squirting cats with water I've read that adding a little bit of vinegar to make a weak solution makes it more effective as they allegedly hate the smell.

Liz
09-Mar-05, 23:37
The 'Sticky Paws' which Drutt recommended is brilliant!

My cats tore my last suite to shreds and when I got a new one I used this and it worked!

I haven't used it for a long while and they still don't scratch the suite.
Pee on it yes but not scratch!!

I have some left and if you pm me your details I'll gladly send you a pack to try.

Liz :D

colmac
09-Mar-05, 23:39
Yes they do scratch our suite at the moment. The annoying thing about it is that they didn't start scratching it until we re-arranged it in the sitting room! We clap our hands loud and hiss at them when we catch them at it and they run off. They also have a scratching post. Which they ignore I might add.
I would NEVER de-claw them. My sister in the states declawed her cat and I was horrified to realise that they cut off half the toe to get rid of the claw! Leaving it totally defenseless and a total house cat. (You really have to like cleaning out litter trays every day if you have a total house cat!) :-/

Kathleen
10-Mar-05, 01:19
Try putting cat nip on the scratching post. My cats used to claw my furniture untill I bought a scratching post and used cat nip on it. They love it! I bought a leather suite about a year ago and they have never once clawed it. They are quite happy with the their post and the cat nip of course.

The Angel Of Death
10-Mar-05, 10:27
Ours scratched the leather suit almost as soon as we got it only and easied soloution it to keep the cat out the room when were not in

katarina
10-Mar-05, 10:41
cats dislike the smell of citrus fruit. If you rub sides of the suite with orange juice it should deter them.

Fifi
10-Mar-05, 10:56
Unfortunately some cats are just untrainable! Our previous cat was easy to train with a water pistol and stayed right away from furniture. When he died we got another kitten and used the same methods - she is now 2 years old and still goes for the furniture...... Like The Angel of Death we have had to resort to shutting the door to that room all the time we are not in it. Or even when we are in the room 'cos she still does it then - I'm sure it's just to get our attention but don't know how to tackle this.

The Angel Of Death
10-Mar-05, 11:05
Did think about the water pistol myself but the other half wouldnt let me get a super soaker cat wouldnt know what had hit it

Tristan
10-Mar-05, 13:48
With respect to declawing of cats:

Yes, it is illegal in this country, unless a claw has to be removed for medical reasons. You still can't declaw the whole cat, just remove the offending claw.

The fallacy that a declawed cat cannot defend themselves outside is just that, a fallacy. We had four cats who all had their front claws removed (back claws intact) and not only could they defend themselves EXTREMELY well, they could climb trees and still bring home wee "presents". Without their front claws they don't scratch the furniture, so its an arrangement that works out really well.

And before all the cat-huggers out there scream in horror-shock at the thought of declawing, where I'm from we would not dream of docking a dog's tail or ears, which I understand still goes on in this country and is considered not only acceptable, but desirable. I find this as offensive as some people find declawing, so just leave the different standards alone.

George Brims
10-Mar-05, 20:08
Not sure where you're located Tristan, but the docking of tails and trimming of ears is not allowed in the UK either. If you see a Doberman with ears that are pointy, it has been done abroad. Vets in California are currently in a mess with the city of West Hollywood, which has followed up a ban on de-clawing of cats with one (just a proposal as yet but expected to pass) on all cosmetic surgery on pets. The vets protested this as an infringement of their freedom to practice their trade. Oh man did they get a lot of letters!

Highland Laddie
10-Mar-05, 20:52
Did think about the water pistol myself but the other half wouldnt let me get a super soaker cat wouldnt know what had hit it

FORGET THE SUPER SOAKER
TRY THE POWER WASHER
BET THEY DON'T DO IT TWICE :evil

Jenni
11-Mar-05, 17:33
We had our leather suite about 6 months when we got our kitten and she never even looked at the suite. She does her claws on the fence in the back garden. I think its a case of potluck - some cats will scratch it and others won't and if you are unlucky enough to have one that decides to scratch it then it is very likely nothing will deter them.

Donnie
11-Mar-05, 17:58
Some of you don't seem to realise that de-clawing cats is illegal in this country.

Only one person suggested to de-claw the cat and they were joking. I find it amusing that lots of people complained about the first suggestion but no one said a thing about the second. It's even funnier how every request for advice on this site (and any message board) always turns in to an argument/"debate".